daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:08 PM   #361
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #362
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Bangkok 280 C'----------->>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/id-ima...01710/sizes/k/ __________________
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:05 AM   #363
Yako1

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
Dont meant to be offensive, but some of the buildings in new, those ugly dark brown buildings.. should be demolished.. i dont really like all kinds of modern buildings.. prefer the older style ones, like art deco for example.

Zaz965 liked this post
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #364
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako1 View Post
Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bombay/Mumbai, Abu Dhabi, Sao Paulo, NYC, Tokyo. How about Bangkok?
They're all dense but Mumbai and Sao Paulo aren't very tall and predictably don't have much in the way of a skyline. For 'dense skyline' I'd drop those 2 and add Melbourne, Toronto, Sydney, Chicago, and Houston. The skylines in all 5 are tall with towers packed close together.

Vancouver is usually described as having a very dense skyline but it's a little on the short side as well. Mumbai is building furiously so will probably develop a dense skyline over the next few years.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Zaz965 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #365
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Kathmandu looks so much dense and large for a city of under one million inhabitants.
Looks like everyone lives in a 2-10 floor building with uniform density from one end to the other.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #366
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31759

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
They're all dense but Mumbai and Sao Paulo aren't very tall and predictably don't have much in the way of a skyline. For 'dense skyline' I'd drop those 2 and add Melbourne, Toronto, Sydney, Chicago, and Houston. The skylines in all 5 are tall with towers packed close together.

Vancouver is usually described as having a very dense skyline but it's a little on the short side as well. Mumbai is building furiously so will probably develop a dense skyline over the next few years.
Sao Paolo does have a skyline. It is very similar to Tokyo: only a few buildings stand out in height or in architectural design amidst an endless ocean of similar height mid-rises.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #367
Yako1

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:

have you seen mumbai recently? they actually already sort of do have a skyline.. if you look at the pics from the past ten yrs.. ofcourse prior to taht it was mainly mid-rise buildings..

Quote:
Sao Paolo does have a skyline. It is very similar to Tokyo: only a few buildings stand out in height or in architectural design amidst an endless ocean of similar height mid-rises.
the thing with SP is that it is very spread out.. removes the need for very tall buildigns..

Zaz965 liked this post
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #368
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
have you seen mumbai recently? they actually already sort of do have a skyline.. if you look at the pics from the past ten yrs.. ofcourse prior to taht it was mainly mid-rise buildings..
Yes I go on the Mumbai threads about once a month. It's rapidly developing a skyline but has nowhere near the high rise density of those other cities.

Quote:
the thing with SP is that it is very spread out.. removes the need for very tall buildigns..
And also means it doesn't have much of a skyline.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #369
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
And also means it [Sao Paulo] doesn't have much of a skyline.
It does have a skyline! And a VERY dense for that matter! it is just a different kind of skyline, like Tokyo!

Skyline by carolinalbessa, on Flickr

Săo Paulo by Júlio Boaro, on Flickr

Sao Paulo - cranes by mttoldi, on Flickr

Ginásio do Ibirapuera by Eli K Hayasaka, on Flickr

Arranha céus do Centro by Eli K Hayasaka, on Flickr

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #370
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Except that Tokyo has clusters of tall buildings in that sea of low/mid rises. Those tall buildings form a skyline, I don't view the rest of it as one though. Those photos you posted cement my view that Sao Paulo doesn't have a skyline. It's a sea of low/mid rises with next to nothing over 100m. It's dense but a city needs tall buildings to create a skyline.

Old February 26th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #371
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Except that Tokyo has clusters of tall buildings in that sea of low/mid rises. Those tall buildings form a skyline, I don't view the rest of it as one though. By extension I don't view Sao Paulo as having a skyline. It's a sea of low/mid rises with next to nothing over 100m.

Those photos you posted cement my view that Sao Paulo doesn't have a skyline. It's dense but a city needs tall buildings to create a skyline.
Height and extreme variation in height is not all that is needed to have a skyline! Based on that definition, if you removed the Empire State Bldg., the Chrysler Bldg, and 432 Park Avenue then midtown Manhattan would not have a skyline.

Swede, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #372
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Boston has one of the densest US skylines.
Pics from randoms on Flickr

Downtown Boston Skyline and Waterfront over East Boston, Route 1, and Chelsea - Massachusetts USA by Greg DuBois Photography, on Flickr

Boston Skyline Harbor Drive by thedonovan37, on Flickr

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:00 AM   #373
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6249

Metro Manila (NCR), pop 25.5 million

JuanPaulo, Zaz965 liked this post
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM   #374
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6249

I really think Shanghai is the world's most highrise city, highrise counting is almost impossible. And it's WAAAAY larger than current record holder, HK

image hosted on flickr

Bear in mind this is just a fraction of the SH skyline - the entire Pudong half, the remainder of Puxi and the highrise surburbs, all missed out. SCROLL>>>>

image hosted on flickr

HOWEVER HK is denser, without a doubt.

cemetery, HK style

Tokyo/Manila, LeCom, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by the spliff fairy; March 2nd, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM   #375
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 1720

its all thanks to chinese economic power for this developments even chinese province can beat all southeast asian skylines

Zaz965 liked this post
Tokyo/Manila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:03 AM   #376
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 465

According to Wikipedia:

New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia are the only incorporated places in the United States that have a population over 1,000,000 and a population density over 10,000 people per square mile.

Populations[edit]

View of New York City from an airplane. Lower Manhattan is in the center of the image, Brooklyn is across the East River below Manhattan, and above Manhattan across the Hudson River is Hudson County, New Jersey.

View of downtown Chicago, seen from the Willis Tower. The tall, black building in the center of the image is the John Hancock Center, and Lake Michigan is in the background.

View of the skyscrapers of Center City, Philadelphia, the downtown part of the city. The image was taken from the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

LCIII, LeCom, Zaz965 liked this post
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:08 AM   #377
ChiCityAtty11

CHICAGO

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:17 AM   #378
ChiCityAtty11

CHICAGO

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:20 AM   #379
ChiCityAtty11

As you can see from the pictures above Chicago is very dense. But overall I don't believe that Chicago is the most dense. And quite honestly we don't want to be. We will happily leave that title to NY, Sao Paulo or one of the Asian cities. Livability of our city and aesthetics/beauty/massing of our skyline are more important to Chicagoans.

Not saying that we are necessarily the best (that is a matter of subjective opinion)... I am just pointing out what we value.

CORRECTION added 3/5/15: I just noticed how New York has a gap (hole) in its skyline... that gap between lower Manhattan and upper Manhattan I always thought was filled with skyscrapers. I was wrong. That gap is filled with low rises. Due to that gap I really don't think New York is that skyscraper dense OVERALL. Just in sections. And those sections are not as large as I once thought they were. Thus, I would have to lean toward one of the Asian cities as being the most dense.

That said, I would personally take New York's skyline over one of those Asian cities because I am a fan of vintage architecture and I favor livability in a city. I personally favor the mix of old and new skyscraper architecture that American cities have.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; March 5th, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM   #380
isaidso
the new republic

Sao Paulo has great density but not great skyline density. Very little in Sao Paulo is over 100m.

Zaz965 liked this post