daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM   #41
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresabaixue View Post
Chongqing
Holy mother of...Chongqing is mind blowing!!! I don't understand why this city's skyline is so underrated? Looks like a younger version of New York

_Night City Dream_ liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #42
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2111

Yes, yes, but we are not talking Densiosity (is that a word? It is now, thanks to the thread title ) over the whole of the city limits including suburbs and open areas.
We know Hong Kong takes the title with sheer numbers of scrapers.

This is surely more to do with contiguous built up areas like the CBD and adjoining precincts, more a 'look and feel' thing.
Somewhere like Sao Paulo might have a shot at this too...
Diggerdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM   #43
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Holy mother of...Chongqing is mind blowing!!! I don't understand why this city's skyline is so underrated? Looks like a younger version of New York
The skyline of Chongqing is only underrated in SCC,but is overrated in Gaoloumi
teresabaixue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM   #44
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

densiest skyline in terms of skyscrapers (200m+) : New York and Hong Kong
densiest skyline in terms of supertalls (300m+) : Dubai Marina, Guangzhou Zhujiang New Town

for 100m+ highrises it really may be something like Sao Paulo or Mexico City or Tokyo, but i do not really know and am not really that curious since 100m buildings do not really make a skyline.

Pals_RGB, hunser liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #45
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
To be fair, I think you'd just want to include just Manhattan then since that is the "skyline" people talk about. It has 59 sq km, but I'm not sure how many buildings. Including Queens and Staten Island definitely skews the data.

Likewise Central and Kowloon where the majority of the skyscrapers are - make up 59 sq km also
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:39 PM   #46
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

New York

Paul Metaxas

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:38 PM   #47
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

benidorm (E)
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #48
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

This thread is really bringing out the worst of this website. Its amazing how much the overall quality of the users of this forum has gone down in the past couple years.

Ji-Ja-Jot liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #49
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
This thread is really bringing out the worst of this website.
Oh, several of the threads in this forum are. I hate putting the reins on people's freedom of speech, but I think we can express ourselves a little better than what has been happening here. My boss ended up closing one of the threads (Overrated Skylines) because that had gotten too out of hand in his opinion.

Quote:
Its amazing how much the overall quality of the users of this forum has gone down in the past couple years.
Yes, it has! And I think it's even worse on SkyscraperPage. At least here, I can do something about it, but I try not to crack the whip too hard because I've been known to do that in that past. Most of the guys on this website are young enough to be my sons, and I don't have a lot of patience for them getting indignant with me when I try to keep order in the threads. There will be decorum in the forum. Make losing my moderator status worthwhile to me and I'l ban you in a heartbeat. I don't like doing it, so please don't try me.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #50
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Oh, several of the threads in this forum are. I hate putting the reins on people's freedom of speech, but I think we can express ourselves a little better than what has been happening here. My boss ended up closing one of the threads (Overrated Skylines) because that had gotten too out of hand in his opinion.

Yes, it has! And I think it's even worse on SkyscraperPage. At least here, I can do something about it, but I try not to crack the whip too hard because I've been known to do that in that past. Most of the guys on this website are young enough to be my sons, and I don't have a lot of patience for them getting indignant with me when I try to keep order in the threads. There will be decorum in the forum. Make losing my moderator status worthwhile to me and I'l ban you in a heartbeat. I don't like doing it, so please don't try me.
Amen. And fyi you arent one of the people I was referring to.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #51
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Amen. And fyi you arent one of the people I was referring to.
Well, I should hope not considering I'm one of the moderators. But when my boss comes behind me and closes a thread after I've told people several times to keep the conversation civil and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that really does not set well with me. It means I'm going to start taking action before my boss gets involved, and please no whining about why you got an infraction and somebody else didn't. When I think a post sticks out above the rest as being over the top, the boss more than likely will agree with me. No need to get all worked up and bent out of shape over something that's a matter of personal opinion and individual taste anyway.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #52
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2635

Manila, Phillipines

Bangkok, Thailand

Hayaki liked this post
Azrain98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #53

Likes (Received): 1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Well, I should hope not considering I'm one of the moderators. But when my boss comes behind me and closes a thread after I've told people several times to keep the conversation civil and that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that really does not set well with me. It means I'm going to start taking action before my boss gets involved, and please no whining about why you got an infraction and somebody else didn't. When I think a post sticks out above the rest as being over the top, the boss more than likely will agree with me. No need to get all worked up and bent out of shape over something that's a matter of personal opinion and individual taste anyway.
Wow, this site has a proper office with a bunch of workers? That's great, SSC doing big things

I think the main problem is overly nationalistic people who flood every international thread with cities in their country when they aren't really relevant; they then proceed to throw a hissy fit when someone constructively criticizes them, posts facts they can't accept, or cracks a harmless joke about their ridiculously biased posts
009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #54
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Wow, this site has a proper office with a bunch of workers? That's great, SSC doing big things.
I think this is part of the difference between SSC and SSP these days. The moderators here are more involved for the most part where as on SSP I'm often left wondering where the moderators are with the way some of the conversations over there can get so uncivil and out of hand.

I was trying to be nice in not closing the Overrated Skylines thread, but when my boss decides the thread is too out of hand and comes behind me and closes it, that means no more Mr. Nice Guy!

My photo threads:

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #55
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Tokyo has one of the densiest skylines in the world !

Here's a fantastic Panorama ( and it's even missing shinjuku ...) :

By 226
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=2008&page=194

TowerVerre:), rockinmoz liked this post
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #56
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6232

guys can we stop saying densiest? It's densest.

Thankyou. I have spoken.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #57
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55287

You are no fun!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #58
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
guys can we stop saying densiest? It's densest.

Thankyou. I have spoken.
How about "densiness?" What skyline has the most densiness?

My photo threads:

Yellow Fever liked this post
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #59
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

in spanish : más denso
in french : plus dense
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #60
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

It is very unclear now how to measure density. Maybe there should be a rule like hom much 150m towers per square km.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote