daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

What do you think is the ultimate height limit for a skyscraper?

Since 2001, when the collapse of the World Trade Center caused some to predict the end of the supertall skyscraper, the number of supertall buildings has actually increased at a faster rate than ever. Advancements in technology (e.g. stronger concrete formulations, better steel alloys, improved elevator systems, etc), computer-aided designs, and more efficient construction practices have made building tall more practical. And the increasing wealth in developing countries has led to a boom in vanity projects, with cities (and in some cases, individuals) looking to boost economic activity by putting themselves "on the map".

But at some point, it's going to have to end. There must eventually be a skyscraper that holds onto the title of "tallest building ever built by mankind" - never to be topped.

I believe there will always be people visionary (aka vain) enough to pay the price to go one inch higher than previous record holders to boast the world's tallest building. So economic considerations are not the limiting factor. Here are some possible limits that developers will hit:

a) Technical failure: A megatall building will be built beyond known technical limits. It will either collapse catastrophically or have to be demolished before it does so.

b) Psychological factors: Aside from physical comfort levels, a skyscraper will be built so tall that a large percentage of people will never be convinced of its structural worthiness and will actually fear for their safety living or working in or around it.

c) Utilitarian failure: Eventually a skyscraper will be built so tall that it becomes too difficult to access and too inconvenient to use.

d) Social censure: A building, while structurally sound and utilitarian, becomes the subject of widespread ridicule or disdain. That is, the vanity element of the project overwhelms any attempt to justify it, and it is never approved. This may include aesthetic and environmental factors related to height.

So taking into consideration not only technical, but also the human psychological and utilitarian limitations, when do you think and at what height will mankind determine that building taller is simply out of the question? You would think it has to stop somewhere, right?
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

None. I bet there will be some skyscrapers that reach space within the next few centuries

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

i think even a space elevator is possible, if it will ever be feasable is another question. if we were to build buildings like our ancestors who spent their lifes building one building and beyond that, we could easily build something tens of kilometers tall, but it is just a matter of who would want to build it and who has the power and money to build something as tall, not anymore a question if it is possible. right now our technology would probably be enough to build over 2km tall buildings, but only in a matter of years that limit will increase probably. a realistic limit of what makes financial sense will probably also be never more than a few kilometers. maybe 3km will be the highest of towers we will really need and anything taller is just prestige projects even in a few hundret years.

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
miguelon

Likes (Received): 304

The height limit at the moment is not because of technical or technology limitations, but because of economic reasons, even in the most lucrative real state market, a city can hardly need a tower with more than 70-80 stories of rental o selling space. Anything above that is just the owners ego. Its just not necessary, its more efficient and cheap to built horizontally.

But I'm sure that if you put out every financial consideration. At this moment or at a very close future, a tower twice as tall as the current tallest (828 meters tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai) could be potentially be built. But as stated above, it doesn't make any financial sense, and most probably a tower that high with the current lift and structural technology might have a compromised floor plan distribution, that will be very inefficient for companies to rent.

QuantumX liked this post
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:28 PM   #5
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 16860

You throw away an important factor: I don't think any person would want to spend more than 5 minutes going up or down using an elevator. So, 2km is probably the limit.
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #6
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

elevator technology has progressed to such a degree that 1 km towers might be feasible and even become commonplace. Elevator companies like KONE is at the forefront.http://www.kone.com/corporate/en/Pre...013-06-10.aspx
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:43 AM   #7
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Design-wise, 1,5KM should be the limit. Otherwise they would look like pure needles if not monstrously wide.

bozenBDJ, Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

yeah i think as wide as ping an, but proportions like 432 Park Ave would make a building be pretty much in that 1,5km range already, but then again they will always put spires and stuff on top of buildings
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 611

I agree with dars-dm, that around (roughly) 2km is the max, if we're talking about what is realistically feasible/possible.
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11207

I think it is structurally possible a construction of an Xseed 4000 tower, but not financially and strategically.
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #11
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 16860

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
elevator technology has progressed to such a degree that 1 km towers might be feasible and even become commonplace. Elevator companies like KONE is at the forefront.http://www.kone.com/corporate/en/Pre...013-06-10.aspx
I suppose it would be pretty hard to withstand that high elevator speed without some kind of safety belts
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #12
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

I think I read somewhere that said that if space elevator is going to be built in space, it will break very easily, because its how ISS works. ISS moves a lot faster because of the gravitational pull of the earth. I dont think its possible for the next 50 years but maybe at the end of the century maybe
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #13
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

There is no height limit. There is only an economic $$$ limit.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote