daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #81
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
..What makes you think that?
I'd hate to have a meeting even 120 degrees away from where my offices were let alone 180 degrees (hell a 90 degree offset would be a long walk too) ... and then take into account the five floors and the huge walk both around the circumference and through the diameter ... it just seems to spread out and yet also too confined at the same time.

Plus what I've read about Apple's insistence on tolerances for construction that no contractor ever uses in real life just shows a disconnect with reality that I think Apple is falling into that is dangerous for the long term viability of the company ...

Building maintenance costs on this structure are going to be astronomical ... would have been better to invest in two or three towers in San Francisco or Oakland than this sprawling suburban creature.

It already looks like they miscalculated with having to build a separate Parking and R&D facility as well. Like they forgot they needed them and.

The land this is on in Cupertino should have been used for housing IMHO.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #82
pesto

Likes (Received): 3055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I'd hate to have a meeting even 120 degrees away from where my offices were let alone 180 degrees (hell a 90 degree offset would be a long walk too) ... and then take into account the five floors and the huge walk both around the circumference and through the diameter ... it just seems to spread out and yet also too confined at the same time.

Plus what I've read about Apple's insistence on tolerances for construction that no contractor ever uses in real life just shows a disconnect with reality that I think Apple is falling into that is dangerous for the long term viability of the company ...

Building maintenance costs on this structure are going to be astronomical ... would have been better to invest in two or three towers in San Francisco or Oakland than this sprawling suburban creature.

It already looks like they miscalculated with having to build a separate Parking and R&D facility as well. Like they forgot they needed them and.

The land this is on in Cupertino should have been used for housing IMHO.
Seriously, don't you think that these aspects were looked at before a 2B building was put up?

You are wrong on every point. Just do a search re the thinking on the location, the interest that tech employees have in SF or Oakland , the interest tech people have in high rises, land use in Cupertino, commute patterns, the logic of operating group placement and interaction (Apple spent millions on doing this including detailed surveys of REAL tech employees).

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #83
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Seriously, don't you think that these aspects were looked at before a 2B building was put up?

You are wrong on every point. Just do a search re the thinking on the location, the interest that tech employees have in SF or Oakland , the interest tech people have in high rises, land use in Cupertino, commute patterns, the logic of operating group placement and interaction (Apple spent millions on doing this including detailed surveys of REAL tech employees).
I do not credit Apple with any sense of good judgement. And Apple wastes billions of dollars routinely.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #84
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

There is a people mover or shuttle bus inside that building?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #85
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
I do not credit Apple with any sense of good judgement. And Apple wastes billions of dollars routinely.

Yeah what a mess of a company, nothing they do is ever successful or makes sense.

Wait...

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #86
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Riley1066 is sometime a bit excessive
Once "fought" with him as he wrote Frank Gehry should be in jail for his designs...lol!
I have no doubt Riley is a very nice guy...
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #87
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5837

So some people here say Apple did a very thorough planning. So what is the public transportation concept for this massive working place generator? If they actually have a proper plan in this regard it must have evaded me so far. In fact I fail to see how Apple wasted much thought about the urban dimension or the integration of this campus into its environment beyond putting up a fence all around that huge plot at all.

The campus really looks like a beautified typical suburban Silicon Valley office park (its excentric shape aside). The main difference being that they cleared up the space from surface parking lots and packed the parking into compact structures, using freed up space for nice landscaping. This will be good looking, no question, but I can't help myself looking at the new HQ of Samsung in the Bay Area. They actually did something really innovative for that area and obviously thought about the integration of their campus into the neighbourhood and making it well connected to many modes of transportation.

Maybe this unsustainable office park concept is so deeply ingrained in the way Silicon Valley works that even a supposedly innovative company like Apple can't think beyond it. Maybe it is also what their employees like. But as I said, not every company there thinks the same way and some have managed to progress already.

aelar liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #88
protoman

Likes (Received): 225

Welcome to Apple Park

Apple Park opens to employees in April 2017

Source: Apple
Link: http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/0...-in-april.html

Quote:
Cupertino, California — Apple today announced that Apple Park, the company’s new 175-acre campus, will be ready for employees to begin occupying in April. The process of moving more than 12,000 people will take over six months, and construction of the buildings and parklands is scheduled to continue through the summer.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VCvkYA5dR8

Download Photos of Apple Park from Apple.com
http://images.apple.com/newsroom/ima...apple_park.zip

EugeneTar, WhiteGerbera, erbse liked this post
protoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #89
vachtung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
This building looks so impractical ...
zero waste and zero emotion
vachtung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:44 AM   #90
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachtung View Post
and zero purpose

Riley1066, vachtung liked this post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #91
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 279

I believe the Steve Jobs Theater is pretty much complete and ready to use. I'd love to see Apple use that theater for the first time in unveiling the next-generation iPad models, either in late March or early April 2017. But it appears that Apple will likely use it for the first time when it unveils the 2017 model iPhones (rumored to be iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S+ and the all-new iPhone 8).

Last edited by sacto7654; February 25th, 2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add wording
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #92
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
If Apple ever needs to expand on this building they'll have to attach dongle buildings.
Except they won't have to. Apple has 20 other low and midrise buildings on the same site, along Tantau, on Vallco Pkwy, etc., with substantial room for growth. To say nothing of campus 1 about a mile away.
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #93
pesto

Quote:
Perfect design; perfect match to needs; perfect in the environment. The same approach Jobs took toward designing products.

Compare Google, who is much more open, flexible, interactive. Technical quality is not important because everything is constantly being changed. That's why they gave Gehry and BIG different directions than Apple gave Foster.
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #94
vachtung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Perfect design; perfect match to needs; perfect in the environment. The same approach Jobs took toward designing products.

Compare Google, who is much more open, flexible, interactive. Technical quality is not important because everything is constantly being changed. That's why they gave Gehry and BIG different directions than Apple gave Foster.
Few people will see this building as it is presented now. It has very little identity. What is the message of the building a "button", a zero ? The inner green zone is closed. Is it green artificial techno prizon? Why?

Riley1066 liked this post
vachtung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #95
hotwheels123

Likes (Received): 316

Enormous Apple Park Opening to Employees in April
Quote:
Apple announced earlier this week that their new 175-acre campus, featuring an enormous ring-shaped building designed by Foster + Partners, will begin welcoming employees this April. Construction of the buildings and surrounding parkland comprising Apple Park will continue through the summer as the process of moving 12,000 people into the dramatic facility unfolds.

erbse liked this post
hotwheels123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #96
pesto

Quote:
Few people will see this building as it is presented now. It has very little identity. What is the message of the building a "button", a zero ? The inner green zone is closed. Is it green artificial techno prizon? Why?
I'm sorry you are so unhappy with your life. Maybe it will improve soon.

Very briefly, the metaphor is the earth and the city. Each system strives for perfection under its own rules: the rules of nature or the rules of civilization, which themselves are derived from the rules of nature.

No straight lines, as in nature; energy and other systems are renewing themselves and stored; parking is entirely underground and streams, hills, walkways and forests surround it. The modernist (and Zen) ideal of beauty through simplicity.

Within the circle, is the world of man: the technological striving for the ideal, which is reached by all people and systems working together. No one excluded, all included. No tower, no separate building; consistent décor and amenities throughout.

Both nature and the creativity of the individual and group are honored and respected.
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #97
Farmer Joe

Likes (Received): 7

Any uptdate on the construction side of the campus 3?
Would be nice, if somebody can add it on this thread.
Farmer Joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:58 PM   #98
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8513

kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:29 PM   #99
pimski

Likes (Received): 23

WhiteGerbera liked this post
pimski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #100
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Now that is a lot of solar panels! Does anyone know what percentage of the power for the new building is provided by solar?

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple headquarters, apple inc., apple spaceship, cupertino, silicon valley