daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #241

Likes (Received): 368

Oh, wow this could be very beautiful.
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #242
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ž┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

New York YIMBY

Quote:
Yesterday, YIMBY revealed the exteriors for 1 Park Lane, which has an actual address of 36 Central Park South, the site of the current Helmsley Park Lane. While we speculated that Vinoly was behind the renderings, we have now learned that Handel Architects is in fact behind the design, which is unsurprising considering the supertall does resemble a vertically extruded take on the Trump Soho (another Handel project). The 1,210-foot tall building will have 88 condominiums, and completion is expected by 2020.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #243
McSky

Likes (Received): 1879

I'm amazed that this building is slated to be so tall.

With all these high-ceilinged apartments being constructed (15'5'' suggested here), it might be more instructive to consider the cubic footage being developed and sold than the square footage.

Shaddorry liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #244
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18860

Idiotic withdrawal of facade resulting in exposed, blank walls. How the hell this got approved is beyond me.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łˇdź - Remonty kamienic i zabytkˇw - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łˇdzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Opulentus, bodegavendetta liked this post
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:39 PM   #245
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Hmm, l like it. It seems they tried to leave the street wall alone as much as possible while still making a shiny modern facade. They could also do something really cool with the wall.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:30 PM   #246
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

It would of looked far better if it were to have a limestone fašade in my opinion. All-glass structures are beginning to get somewhat repetitive.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:38 PM   #247
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
It would of looked far better if it were to have a limestone fašade in my opinion. All-glass structures are beginning to get somewhat repetitive.
220 Central Park South down the road will have a limestone facade, or at least a knockoff one like 30 Park Place.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:52 PM   #248
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

Some sort of masonry facade structure would be more appropriate for a CPS address. If you look at all the best buildings and blocks along the park, it's brick, terracotta, limestone, sandstone, etc. Glass can go anywhere else.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:41 AM   #249
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ž┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

YIMBY rendering with 1 Park Lane:
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:37 AM   #250
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I would agree to a point with hateman... I'd prefer less glassiness especially directly across from the Park like Park Lane, love brick, stone emphasis for the area but glassy towers seem to be the big thing... I do hope for improvements on the overall Park Lane design, while not hating it could be substantially better.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #251
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

While it's nice, I hope it's not final and wished it was Richard Rigers designing this instead. With that said, my preference for this site would have been another 220 CPS or 30 Park place type of tower. It doesn't necessarily would have to be designed by Stern either.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:50 PM   #252
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

My preference is an architect like Peter Pennoyer, not another Stern, but someone from New York, with a classic New York sensibility.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:04 PM   #253
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I want something with glass but more elegant. Rogers did very good work with the Leadenhall Building. I would love for a coloured steel frame to be subtly visible underneath crystal-clear glass.

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 11:44 PM   #254
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post

Idiotic withdrawal of facade resulting in exposed, blank walls. How the hell this got approved is beyond me.
Yes, I totally agree with that. And there is something more which bothers me about this lobby:
Why does this building have a 16+ story high lobby (taking the building on the left as measurement)? Thats very excessive and a waste of space. I can understand that they don't want to use them as appartment space, but they could do something with it. The building will be located at the front of central park. Half way up the lobby you could certainly look above the trees. I think that is something. And the lobby would be still impressive. But what looks most silly to me is that the height of the lobby exceeds the building on the right.
In fact the whole transition from base to shaft look a bit weird to me.

The rest of the tower is good to me and it will offer the buyer the most views, light, and air among these supertalls.

Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:50 AM   #255
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Why does this building have a 16+ story high lobby (taking the building on the left as measurement)? Thats very excessive and a waste of space. I can understand that they don't want to use them as appartment space, but they could do something with it.
They had to leave the base as undeveloped as possible in order to maximize the square footage they redistributed to the upper floors. If they'd built out those lower 16 stories, the tower would've had to be 16 stories shorter -- and those uppermost 16 stories are probably worth anywhere between $500 Million - $1 Billion.

Torch, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:05 AM   #256
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
They had to leave the base as undeveloped as possible in order to maximize the square footage they redistributed to the upper floors. If they'd built out those lower 16 stories, the tower would've had to be 16 stories shorter -- and those uppermost 16 stories are probably worth anywhere between $500 Million - $1 Billion.
Ok, that makes sense! I didn't know about that. Ok so higher ceilings in the appartments have the same purpose as well, besides giving the appartments a more spacious and luxourious feel (which it self allows higher prices). Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:43 AM   #257
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Ok so higher ceilings in the appartments have the same purpose as well, besides giving the appartments a more spacious and luxourious feel (which it self allows higher prices).
TL;DR: this site tells it much better than I can, and has an interactive map with the FAR of all of Manhattan. The FAR for this site appears to be 12.

You're right. New York zoning is partially defined by floor area ratio (FAR). Which, as its name implies, is the ratio of the lot area that can be built. A FAR > 1 implies multi-stories. Since it is possible to combine neighboring lots, and FAR do not require that floors are lot sized, it is possible to essentially transfer the air rights from one lot to a neighboring lot. In NYC, double digit FARs are quite common. The Midtown East Rezoning site has a diagram outlining the proposed FAR for an area around Grand Central Terminal:

Another relevant factor is the existence of additional types of air rights that can be transferred beyond lot boundaries. This WSJ article* has a great explanation how St. Patrick's Cathedral on Fifth Ave may be allowed to transfer its unused rights to buildings around Park Ave. These rights are transferred per buildable square foot. I may be wrong, but I believe that they just act as a bonus on top of the square feet already allowed by the zoning FAR.

For added joy, there is the particularity of existing buildings exceeding their current lot FAR. I don't know how this can have happened, but the reality is that the buildable square footage goes down if the entire building is destroyed and rebuilt. On this Park Lane lot, the existing FAR is 21.8. The new owners intend to only partially demolish it, so that it counts as a "renovation" and the extra FAR are not sacrificed.

(*) if you can't access a WSJ article directly, search for the title in Google and access it through the link.

Last edited by WillBuild; June 2nd, 2015 at 02:06 AM.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:27 AM   #258
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2661

thats awesome, RSHP never dissapoint!
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:48 AM   #259
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

I was hoping this one would go supertall.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:29 AM   #260
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
For added joy, there is the particularity of existing buildings exceeding their current lot FAR. I don't know how this can have happened, but the reality is that the buildable square footage goes down if the entire building is destroyed and rebuilt. On this Park Lane lot, the existing FAR is 21.8. The new owners intend to only partially demolish it, so that it counts as a "renovation" and the extra FAR are not sacrificed.
That happens when the buildings where built before 1961. In 1961 the zoning rules were changed to add the FAR limits. Before then, FAR was limited only by setback requirements. If the design met the requirements, it could go as high as desired. This is also an issue with the 425 Park Ave redevelopment

WillBuild liked this post
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
36 cps, cps, nyc, park lane hotel