daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #41
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

My understanding is that they could raze it to street level and keep the foundation. But of course, building on top of an existing foundation presents limitations and complications of its own. I agree that the developers will probably try to combine plots to create a new, taller tower instead.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #42
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

The View on Real Estate: Steve Witkoff on Helmsley Park Lane

Talks about shadow effects and what could be in store for the Park Lane site.

So if they are going to build a new tower, Witkoff says their tower can be very tall but says they will not build as tall.

He says a 100-110 story tower is way too tall. Therefore, if I could ask him one question..

My question would be... is 90 stories acceptable???
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #43

Likes (Received): 368

How tall would he be allowed max?
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #44
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

As far as I know the only restriction is the 2000 ft national faa height limit.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #45
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Sounds like he's no Shvo (lol, remember his tower boasts?). It won't happen for several years at least, it will be mixed condo/ hotel likely. He's being careful but will build I think something great for the area. It does seem the dreaded shadow effect is really minimal and overstated as a problem. Gathering by what he says it will be supertall but maybe not quite the 432 Park/ Steinway/ Nordstrom building heights... say in the 1,050-1,150 ft area and 75-85 stories tops. I'm good with that!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #46
citybooster

I hope so.... yep since isn't it right overlooking the park, while the others are a short distance away? Hey, 1,300-1,350 ft works well for me too! LOL, as long as it's not Hudson Spire! Seriously though even we may have to wait 2-5 years down the line it's going to be worth it as I feel it's going to get the respect for being in such a perfect location it will be a city icon!
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #47
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Just because it won't be 100 storied doesn't mean it won't be very tall, 225w 57th street and 432 are ~90 stories and are in the 430 meter range.

But this guy is kind of weird, what's wrong with living in a 100 story building? It's not really that much taller than an 80 or 90 story building. Who really notices the difference?

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #48
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Just because it won't be 100 storied doesn't mean it won't be very tall, 225w 57th street and 432 are ~90 stories and are in the 430 meter range.

But this guy is kind of weird, what's wrong with living in a 100 story building? It's not really that much taller than an 80 or 90 story building. Who really notices the difference?
Yeah, he is a bit but he did say he wanted to be liked, too and building like 1,500 or so and going 100 stories was something that might get him bad press. So long as it's in the 1,100-1,350 ft range I'm good with that. Mostly I'd like just a great design that will be regarded as not only a Central Park icon but a city one.
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #49
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Yeah, he is a bit but he did say he wanted to be liked, too and building like 1,500 or so and going 100 stories was something that might get him bad press. So long as it's in the 1,100-1,350 ft range I'm good with that. Mostly I'd like just a great design that will be regarded as not only a Central Park icon but a city one.
What? Why? I really fail to understand some people's logic.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #50
MarshallKnight

I'm not sure how I 'd feel about a 400m tower right on CPS, but I suppose they might do something like 220 and place a lower building directly on the Park, with the tower behind.

I appreciate what the guy is saying about not trying to stir things up, but then you look at 111 W. 57th -- they're building between 1350-1400 ft. and they've gotten nothing but praise for how they've conducted their business. A very tall tower is not necessarily going to upset the public, as long as they sense their concerns are being considered (in the case of 111, JDS and SHoP went out of their way in the preservation of Steinway Hall).

Anyway, the location is terrific, and I hope the design reflects that. At a minimum, this will provide a visual bridge between the 111/One57/217/220 cluster and 432 Park, but I'm hoping for a really phenomenal tower that can serve as the centerpiece, maybe even the pinnacle, of the CPS skyline.
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #51
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 770

Is the new skyscraper going to be called "Park Lane," or even a hotel for that matter? I would rename the thread "Park Lane Redevelopment" or better yet, "Helmsley Park Lane Hotel Redevelopment" considering this hotel itself stole the name of a former hotel appropriately on Park Avenue until the 1960s.

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #52
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4537

Maybe they'll make it just shy of the ESB? Just to please the crowd?
I'd be happy with 370-80m, would slot in between both the ~300m and ~430m crowds of towers quite nicely

Also I can see what he means with the tower not going to be 100+ storeys, all of the other 57th street towers have a layer of shorter towers in front of them giving a great stepping back of towers from old to new

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #53
Jay

I don't understand why he doesn't want to build over 100 stories? He has the opportunity to build the tallest next to the park, why not take it?

What happened to the desire to build tall? It could still be profitable at that height in this location too.

Anyway enough of my rant, I'll be happy with another tower, I sound like a supertall spoiled New Yorker.

Old April 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #54

Id prefer this tower to be the same size as the other supertalls popping up, yeah he could take it to the top but 1,000ft ish is A OK.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #55
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
Id prefer this tower to be the same size as the other supertalls popping up, yeah he could take it to the top but 1,000ft ish is A OK.
But why not have a signature tower?

There will already be three buildings in the 1400 foot range and at least two or three more in the 1000 range next to the park.

Old April 16th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #56
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Would be a shame if the only thing standing between us and another +/- 1400' beauty is his fragile ego and desire to be loved by NIMBYs.

Kanto liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #57
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

I like the fact that he prefers quality of living over pure height. I'm pretty sure it wille be supertall though.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #58
MarshallKnight

Yeah, I'd be okay if they maintained the sense of stepping back towards the highest towers: Lowrises directly on CPS, with 900-1000 footers on the 58th Street Side, and the 1400 footers behind that on 58th/57th. It's a dramatic incline (especially compared to the way it used to rise, from the CPS buildings towards the Midtown plateau) but I think it's more aesthetically pleasing than the tallest towers rising directly on top of the Park.

iamtheSTIG, Eric Offereins liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
But why not have a signature tower?

There will already be three buildings in the 1400 foot range and at least two or three more in the 1000 range next to the park.
Because New York already has ESB, Chrysler and 1WTC.

Unless your a skyscraper fan you probably wouldn't take much notice of a super signature tower, I have people on my Facebook that take photos and cut out the top of One57 and have been asked what is that building when referring to the Chrysler.

Just my opinion that another tower of similar size will compliment NY much better than a F off tower that frankly not many will care about.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #60
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

First and foremost I hope its a great design for its prime location; height comes second

Tags
36 cps, cps, nyc, park lane hotel