daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #61
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
NY is the only city in a first world country that is experiencing a boom in supertall towers.
That's a stunning revelation no user on this forum would ever even have thought of had you not let us know.

Not that what you are doing is particularly outrageous. After all, there are people here who make lists of supertalls on a forum that is essentially a list of supertalls...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #62

Likes (Received): 368

Why isn't this in the "proposed supertalls" section?

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #63
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

So I think another limestone super tall tower would be great here unless its a throwback with a modern twist like the Steinway. (Doesn't have to be Stern but would not mind)

I just know definitely I would not like another Nordstrom (Glassy/Modern) especially for this central spot at Central Park imo.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #64
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
So I think another limestone super tall tower would be great here unless its a throwback with a modern twist like the Steinway. (Doesn't have to be Stern but would not mind)

I just know definitely I would not like another Nordstrom (Glassy/Modern) especially for this central spot at Central Park imo.
I'm glad they are being careful and not rushing into this.... waiting two or three years, maybe a little longer will give the developer an opportunity to measure up exactly what would be the best fit here. I agree with you and others the new tower should be a real centerpiece, not on height but on the scale of all the Central Park area towers, and not a glass dominant one.

Are there any more possibilities for the Central Park area after this besides the infamous Shvo one? Though the shadow effect has been shown to be greatly exaggerated, I believe aesthetically no more than two, three more 900+ towers would be right for the area. Plus the spacing really complements and sets apart the towers... a forest of towers would kinda lose character.

citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #65
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

As far as I know, there's just this, 31 W 57th behind it, and the possibility of a large tower to be redeveloped somewhere up near 520 Park, although I can't recall the address. That thread has been quiet for some time. Anybody remember which one I'm referring to?

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #66
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
As far as I know, there's just this, 31 W 57th behind it, and the possibility of a large tower to be redeveloped somewhere up near 520 Park, although I can't recall the address. That thread has been quiet for some time. Anybody remember which one I'm referring to?

I think its 650 Madison Ave at 59th street if it’s that you are referring to since it’s in close proximity to 520 Park.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1626787

So far no word what the plans are for this tower. RL HQ lease will be expiring in the near future and there are rumors that RL is possibly looking into the Yards or in the WTC complex. Once RL vacates, I hope Crown & Highgate decides to develop the site with a nice retail base rather than rebrand this sucker. We shall see.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #67
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

That's the one! If anything happens with it, it'll be quite a ways off, so it's really these two towers on the eastern portion of CPS that should be completing the picture for the foreseeable future.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #68
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
That's the one! If anything happens with it, it'll be quite a ways off, so it's really these two towers on the eastern portion of CPS that should be completing the picture for the foreseeable future.
Gathering then than that other huge tower proposed a few months back... more like just blurted about .. was nothing more than one great big "Shvo" job, lol?!!

Thanks Marshall and VG for the info!

Old April 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #69
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
Why isn't this in the "proposed supertalls" section?
Because there is no design, nothing yet

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #70
citybooster

Until the developer decides definitively to build a supertall there, it's just an idea to ponder and belongs here. The minute someone says something authoritative that it will go 1,000ft or higher, it will be moved to supertalls at supersonic speed!

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #71
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Nothing special in this hotel. get rid of it and build something truly great. the view on the park should be worth anything.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:53 PM   #72

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Because there is no design, nothing yet
Then why is it in this section or anywhere for that matter?

#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:58 PM   #73
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

Probably because of earlier numbers, see first page of this thread.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #74
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
A Bid to Make the Park Lane Hotel a Landmark, but Not by the Usual Suspects
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/ny...-suspects.html

A Bid to Make the Park Lane Hotel a Landmark, but Not by the Usual Suspects

Quote:
The masterpieces of Central Park South are myriad: The Plaza, the St. Moritz, the Gainsborough Studios and the Essex House all come to mind.

One property that barely registers is the Park Lane Hotel. Built in 1971 by Harry B. Helmsley, the hotel has stood since then as the tallest building on the three-block stretch — which is about its only distinguishing feature.

And yet a quiet campaign is in the works to secure landmark protection for the 46-story limestone and glass tower. It is not being led by the usual suspects, like preservationists, community groups or politicians. The charge, what little of it there is, is spearheaded by a TriBeCa architect who works mostly on downtown loft buildings; a real estate lawyer from Montclair, N.J.; and a former State Senate candidate from Queens who worked in the Giuliani administration.

Those following the effort are fairly certain that it has a particular purpose: halting plans to replace the hotel with yet another cloud-buster overlooking Central Park. But what remains a mystery is whether the three men are campaigning alone, or in concert with some as-yet-unknown party, perhaps a rival developer or wealthy condominium owner trying to protect his or her own valuable views of the park.

There are few words that will make a New York property owner cringe more than “landmark.” But this time, one might just be using it as a weapon against another.

“I’m astonished by this whole thing,” said Steven C. Witkoff, the developer who, with Harry B. Macklowe, bought the hotel last year for $660 million with plans to replace it eventually with an 850-foot tower. “I’m amazed anyone would think to stoop this low.”

The Park Lane was the flagship of the Helmsley hotel empire when it opened, a popular haunt for Led Zeppelin and Farrah Fawcett. But its architect, Richard Roth Jr., said in an interview that Mr. Helmsley was also after what everyone of a certain stripe now wants — a penthouse with stunning park views. He was hoping to impress his girlfriend, the future Leona Helmsley, then a broker at Douglas Elliman, who would go on to be known as the Queen of Mean.

Mr. Roth’s work, along with the chandeliers, marble and velvet installed by the decorator Tom Lee, are among the reasons outlined in a report arguing for the preservation of the property: “The Park Lane Hotel, a substantial building by a major midcentury architect working with a prominent developer in direct response to changes in zoning and architectural design, is clearly, substantially, qualitatively different than many of the typical contributing buildings.”

The report was prepared by a preservation consulting firm for John Furth Peachy, the TriBeCa architect, who submitted it to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on March 31. The commission rejected the request with a one-line response the next month: “After a careful evaluation, the Commission determined that 36 Central Park South does not rise to the level of an individual landmark, based on its lack of architectural significance.”

Even Mr. Roth, who was a third-generation partner of the noted firm Emery Roth & Sons, agreed it was not worth saving.

“I certainly would have picked other Emery Roth buildings first,” said Mr. Roth, 81. “It’s not even a particularly great building.”

After the landmarks commission setback, Juan Reyes, a former lawyer in the Giuliani administration who is now in private practice, began reaching out to various politicians and civic groups. Councilman Daniel R. Garodnick’s office said that until Community Board 5 supported the campaign, the councilman would withhold judgment.

Still, Mr. Reyes continued to reach out to Mr. Garodnick’s office, while also talking with the community board, Gale Brewer, the Manhattan borough president, and others. At times, he would suggest to one party that he had another’s support, only for the parties to find that that was not the case, according to numerous officials contacted by Mr. Reyes.

The community board was hesitant to give the preservation request a public hearing, since it had already approved Mr. Witkoff’s plans in February.

This month, Mr. Reyes did meet with a few board members, according to two people who were present. They said he brought along Mr. Peachy and William I. Kaplan, another real estate lawyer, who showed photos of his historic home in Montclair as proof of his passion for preservation.

According to the two people who were present, Mr. Kaplan said his love of the hotel came from time spent in Manhattan caring for his sick father, when he often walked in the park and gazed at the hotel.

“None of it made sense,” said one board member, who insisted on anonymity because the meeting was supposed to be private. “We assumed they were working for someone, but it was all so clumsy.”

Mr. Reyes has also reached out to numerous civic groups for support, but has won over none. Tara Kelly, director of Friends of the Upper East Side, did send a letter to the landmarks commission requesting a public hearing, but she said it was mostly just a courtesy to Mr. Reyes. “I don’t know if the Park Lane is on anybody’s to-do list,” she said.

Neither Mr. Reyes, who was in the news in 2012 when a flier from his campaign for the State Senate accused his Republican primary opponent of being “gay-friendly” (Mr. Reyes, who apologized for the mailing, lost), nor Mr. Kaplan responded to several phone calls and emails seeking comment.

Mr. Peachy, the architect, is starting what he calls a “grass-roots campaign” called Save the Park Lane. He said in an interview in his TriBeCa studio that the hotel was not only a historic building, but one of the few left for the average New Yorker on the park.

“You can get a room or a meal for a fair price, and the views from the restaurant there on the second floor are some of the best,” he said.

But he had never set foot in the hotel, he acknowledged, until this year, when he started working on the campaign, for which he is being paid his standard fee by Mr. Kaplan.

And yet their efforts might just succeed, if not in stopping the project, then in drawing opposition to it. The community board has acceded to Mr. Reyes’s request and agreed to hold a public hearing on the matter Oct. 6.

When it comes to landmarks, “the personal or selfish interests, those always play a role,” Mr. Peachy said. “But that doesn’t mean our goals can’t align.”
This is a losing battle for the opposition. Mark my words. I would be happy with an 850 footer for here tho.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 30th, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #75
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

I could see them imposing a prewar streetwall envelope but landmark this POS? May as well landmark the Verizon Building at 375 Pearl St. too!

Last edited by desertpunk; September 30th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #76
citybooster

Agreed, it's NOT a worthy landmark type building. The Landmarks Commission should guarantee the prewar streetwall be preserved but this building is a nondescript 1971 nonentity architecturally. I thought they would go higher than 850 ft, though... the new owners did make it clear however it wasn't going to be necessarily as tall as 432 Park, Steinway or Nordstrom though I never saw before they committing to only 850 ft... I'd love 1,100 or so and hope the 31 W 57th and eventually the Shvo speculated tower will be the two last 1,200-1,500 ft supertalls for the Central Park area. This delay tactic is going nowhere and I do hope for some revision upward in the height,though I do think it would be better to not go as high as the other supermalls and vary the texture of the area...you guys think 1,100-1,150 ft is out of the question here? Any other tall buildings speculated going in the area, because though I'm not with the "shadow" malarkey I think it would be best aesthetically for a spread out rather than concentrated tower cluster in the Central Park area, so I think two or three more should be the limit.

Last edited by citybooster; September 30th, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old September 30th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #77
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

If Witkoff plans a tower of "only" 850', he's presumably constructing a tower as of right and does not plan to acquire the adjacent free market rental.

It's interesting that the article says that Witkoff's plans were "approved."

LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #78
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Here's the website of this frauding organization: http://saveparklaneny.com/

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #79
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
If Witkoff plans a tower of "only" 850', he's presumably constructing a tower as of right and does not plan to acquire the adjacent free market rental.

It's interesting that the article says that Witkoff's plans were "approved."
I added these to the title. looks like a firm proposal. I'm guessing over 60 floors.
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #80
citybooster

Thanks for updating the status, desertpunk. Is it possible a little more can be added to the height in any way, like buying additional air rights or something? I do remember Witkoff saying something in the line that the design will be very classy and fitting to the Central Park area, something to that affect and he did note that he wasn't intent on just building another supertall to hover over the park should it be decided to raze the current Park Lane.

Tags
36 cps, cps, nyc, park lane hotel