daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #281
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 160

it might be, Heathrow isn't accepting inbound flights

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #282
St. Anger
Insomniatic

Likes (Received): 1

i was supposed to fly today, but i changed my flight a few days ago to tuesday, it would have been so messed up if i hadnt, god i hope this thing doesnt last till next tuesday.
I need my ipod and camera on the flight!
St. Anger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #283
Magician
Hellexpress

Likes (Received): 129

CURSE those terrorists!!!
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #284
AmherstMan
Levend Mijn Leven

Likes (Received): 0

The things that you can not take on planes now include:
shampo- banned
soap- banned
all liquids- banned
all bottels- banned
make-up- banned
the list goes on.
AmherstMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #285
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Yeah, that really sucks.

A couple days ago I got small bottles of lotion, hand sanitizer, Listerine, toothpaste, deoderant, and lip ointment for my trip to the U.K. on Saturday.

Also I planned to bring my cologne, body shampoo and "leather lotion" with me. I want to use my $50 bottle of cologne to go out partying with friends in the U.K. but I don't want to risk throwing it away at the security checkpoint. Plus I guess it was a dumb idea to chose 5 connecting flights on AA to get to the U.K. with the risk of having to put my carryon baggage into the cargo hold. There are 4 regional jet flights and one 767-300 so I'll see how that goes since the regional jets have "gate claim."
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #286
Luka

Likes (Received): 2828

Actually its normal they are not letting these things aboard. I remember once watching a documentary of a Philippine Airlines flight. Using nitro glistering a guy created a bomb and planted it on the flight – as the flight had a stopover he left there so he wasn’t in the plane. Even though the bomb exploded only one person died. His plan (a Pakistani man) was very much the same to these plots. He wanted to plant bombs on Continental and AA flights. Thankfully they caught him on time (he was also an accomplice for the first attack on the World Trade Centre in 94). After he was arrested those sticks that check for explosives were produced but none of the airlines in the world wanted to use them.
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #287
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

well this is for a safety reason,

would you rather lose your bottle of water, or to lose your life and also 10 other plane full of passenger's life?
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #288
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchengg
well this is for a safety reason,

would you rather lose your bottle of water, or to lose your life and also 10 other plane full of passenger's life?

This might be a little off topic but instead of using all that money to fight a war in Iraq they should use that money to put better security machinery in all the required airports. I'm no engineer but I bet someone could come up with a machine that would make the security screening process very easy if money and research was thrown at it. I don't need my taxes going to a useless war, let's get flying back to a more comfortable level without so much sacrifice.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #289
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

UK PRESS: Airlines Seek Reimbursement From BAA
14 August 2006
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Three of Britain's biggest airlines are uniting to call on the British Airports Authority (BAA.LN) to pay some of the GBP250 million of costs airlines are estimated to have incurred since the current security crisis began, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The airlines are British Airways PLC (BAB), Virgin Atlantic and easyJet PLC (EZJ.LN), while a fourth, BMI British Midland, looks set to join up after saying it would not rule it out, the newspaper says. Ryanair Holdings PLC (RYAAY), meanwhile, called on the Department for Transport to cover some of its costs, the Telegraph reports.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.telegraph.co.uk

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #290
hkskyline
Hong Kong

UK airline bmi says some pilots vote for strike

LONDON, Aug 16 (Reuters) - British airline bmi [BMID.UL] said on Wednesday that some pilots at its no-frills division, bmibaby, had voted in favour of strike action but it hoped to avoid industrial action.

Bmi said in a statement that 47 percent of bmi baby's 189 pilots voted in favour of a strike following a poll of members by the the British Air Line Pilots' Association (BALPA).

"BALPA have requested a meeting with us to attempt to find a way through the dispute and we are reflecting on that proposal," the airline said.

Bmi, which was forced to cancel flights along with other airlines during the past week due to heightened security at airports, said its customers should not change their travel plans.

BALPA is disputing a forced 2.4 percent pay rise for bmi staff.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #291
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

From: http://www.iht.com//articles/2006/08...siness/jet.php

By Joe Sharkey The New York Times

Published: August 15, 2006

NEW YORK Each day, domestic and foreign airlines fly more than 1,500 first-class and business-class seats each way between New York and London, at round-trip fares that can cost $9,000 for business class.
Silverjet, a start-up all-business-class airline in Britain, plans to add to that mix 100 more premium-class seats in each direction, but at round-trip fares averaging about $1,900.
Lawrence Hunt, the chief executive of Silverjet, said that the airline planned to get off the ground by beginning service between Newark, New Jersey, and London within nine months.
Silverjet said Monday that it would buy five used Being 767-200s and equip them with 100 lie-flat seats. It would become the third all-business-class airline to begin service in the past year or so on the lucrative New York-to-London route. Late last year, Eos and MaxJet began flying between Kennedy International Airport and Stansted Airport.
Eos, flying Boeing 757s with just 48 lie-flat business-class seats, compares itself to the highest-end trans-Atlantic business-class carriers like British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, but with sharply lower published fares ranging between $2,950 and $6,500 round trip.
MaxJet flies 767s configured with 102 seats that recline to a 60-inch pitch. Its discount round-trip fares go from $1,750 to $3,750. Most published business-class fares on other commercial airlines on that route run from about $6,000 and $9,000, though many major airlines negotiate corporate volume discounts.
Is Silverjet a deal? Hunt says it is, and his competitors agree, to a point. The airline raised about $44 million in an initial public offering last spring, bringing its capital to about $63.5 million, and it still attracting investors, he said.
"I regard them as a serious potential competitor," said Gary Rogliano, the chief executive of MaxJet. "But I do think they're going to have to go back to the till" for more capital to operate.
David Spurlock, the chief strategic officer of Eos, said that the 767s that MaxJet operated and Silverjet planned to use were more expensive to operate than the Eos 757s.
Rogliano said that Silverjet's plan to install 100 seats with 75-degree pitch on a 767 would cut back on space that passengers want for things other than sleeping.
On the other hand, Silverjet plans to offer discount car service to and from the airport. Silverjet also plans expedited check-in and boarding procedures and high-end airport lounges. The Newark departures will appeal to many travelers wanting to avoid Kennedy.
Silverjet also would fly to London's least congested airport, Luton.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #292
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Majority of British voters support air passenger profiling: poll

LONDON, Aug 17, 2006 (AFP) - A majority of British voters support profiling air passengers in the wake of an alleged plot to bomb US-bound planes in mid-flight, according to a poll published on Thursday.

In a poll of 1,696 respondents by YouGov published in The Spectator magazine, 55 percent backed the idea of security screenings at airports, focusing on the passengers who pose the greatest risk.

Some 60 percent of those surveyed also said they expected the threat from terrorist groups to worsen, and 79 percent felt the government was not winning the so-called war on terror.

According to The Times on Tuesday, the Department for Transport was considering a system to single out people behaving suspiciously, who have an unusual travel pattern, or a certain ethnic or religious background.

But the plan -- similar to a system operated by Israeli airline El Al -- was immediately condemned by one of Britain's most senior Muslim police officers, who said that could lead to a new offence of "travelling whilst Asian".

The debate was sparked after British police and intelligence services staged pre-dawn raids on the homes of 24 people, the majority of whom appear to be British Muslims, to disrupt what they believed was a plot to blow up US-bound passenger jets in mid-flight.

Half of the respondents said they thought most British Muslims were moderates, but more than a quarter disagreed.

Only 12 percent of those surveyed said they thought Britain's foreign policy should be made more conciliatory in response to terrorism.

By contrast, 80 percent of those polled wanted British Prime Minister Tony Blair to distance himself from US President George W. Bush and either work more closely with European countries or blaze his own path.

Blair was heavily criticised in Britain during the conflict between Israel and the Shiite militia Hezbollah over the past month as he sided with the US president in declining to call for an immediate ceasefire.

Some 69 percent of those surveyed also felt that police should be allowed to hold suspects in anti-terrorism investigations for 90 days, as opposed to the 28 days allowed under current legislation.

Old August 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #293
samsonyuen
SSLL

I fly into and out of UK a few times in the next month. I'm just hoping there won't be much hassle. Maybe the carryon luggage limit will be lifted too?
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #294
samsonyuen
SSLL

From: http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle1222611.ece
Published: 30 August 2006
Canny shoppers will be able to bag a flight to Berlin alongside their baked beans next month, provided they are prepared to visit Lidl, the bargain German supermarket chain.

The discount retailer has linked up with Air Berlin to offer cut-price flights to European cities in the latest example of supermarkets spreading their wings into areas beyond groceries.

For one week in September, Lidl customers can save up to £100 on a return flight to cities including Vienna, Dusseldorf and Belfast. The one-way flight vouchers will cost £19 and can be used for flights that would normally cost up to £69 including taxes.

Tony Parker, a Lidl director, said: "This is not a sales-led gimmick, no Lidl product purchase is necessary to buy a flight voucher and there will be no special restrictions." The initial offer starts on Tuesday and will run for a week.

For years, UK supermarkets have offered customers the chance to earn airmiles with their purchases, which they can exchange for flights, but selling flights directly is a first for the sector.

Neil Saunders, at Verdict, the retail consultants, said flights were a "logical market for supermarkets to enter, given they have tackled other service markets like financial services".

Tesco has already experimented with selling flights in some European outlets. A spokesman said it was possible it could move into the travel market in the UK.

Lidl, part of the German group Schwarz, will sell Air Berlin flight vouchers that can be used from Stansted, Manchester, Glasgow and Belfast to 25 European destinations, although not all flights are direct. The flights can be used from Tuesday to 31 March.
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM   #295
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thursday August 31, 2:48 PM
BAA rejects calls for break-up

LONDON (Reuters) - Airport operator BAA, which was acquired by Spain's Ferrovial earlier this year, has rejected calls for the break-up of its UK airports, arguing it would undermine vitally needed investment in airport capacity.

Last week, British Airways Plc and other airlines called for competition authorities to consider breaking up ownership of two key London airports -- Heathrow and Stansted -- as part of an investigation into UK airports.

BA had said an Office of Fair Trading (OFT) investigation into airport ownership should be referred to the Competition Commission because of concerns about airport regulation and ownership.

It said the commission should consider separate ownership of Heathrow and Stansted -- both airports which are owned by BAA.

Dublin-based Ryanair had also said it wanted the OFT to recommend a break-up of BAA in its report to the commission.

"I fully understand why airlines like British Airways and Ryanair want to weaken airport operators and achieve greater control over prices and investment at the airports where they hold such powerful positions themselves," BAA Chief Executive Stephen Nelson said in a statement.

Nelson said that the job of competition authorities is to protect the longer-term interests of all consumers.

"The biggest problem facing UK air travelers is the shortage of airport capacity, especially in South East England. Failure to build new runway capacity will lead to gridlock, disappointed customers and significant loss to the national economy," Nelson added in BAA's submission to the OFT.

BAA, which owns seven UK airports, has faced calls for its break-up for years because of its dominance of the UK airports sector.

Old August 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM   #296
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

GLASGOW WINS DAILY SERVICE DIRECT TO BOSTON.

Source: Glasgow Evening Times

GLASGOW Airport is to get a direct daily service to Boston.
Scottish airline flyglobespan is to fly to the American city from next May with prices starting from £159 one way, including tax.
It will be the second transatlantic route on offer from Glasgow from the company.
It started the UK's first daily low fares service to Florida with the launch of its daily flights to Orlando Sanford service in June.
Boston Logan International Airport is the gateway to New England, home to more than 14 million people, and a major tourist area.
News of the new service, supported by the Scottish Executive's Route Development Fund, was welcomed by political and business leaders on both sides of the Atlantic.
Councillor Alex Mosson, chairman of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said he expected the service to bring tourists to Glasgow, as well as taking Scots to Boston.
He said: "We have had intensive marketing activity in the USA over the last 12 months to showcase the city's credentials as Glasgow: Scotland With Style in this lucrative market.
"We think the impact from this new service will produce 102,000 room nights annually and result in £12 million of economic benefit to Glasgow."
Alan Barr, managing director of Glasgow Airport, said: "This new route opens up tremendous opportunities for inbound tourism and for business links between Scotland and the eastern seaboard of America. We expect this new route will prove popular on both sides of the Atlantic."
As well as its Glasgow-Orlando Sanford route, which will now run through the winter and next summer, the airline has already announced a Manchester-Cape Town service in November and a daily Liverpool-New York service next year.
Flyglobespan chairman Tom Dalrymple said: "I am delighted we can launch the service from Glasgow to Boston and give Scots the chance to visit one of the world's most exciting cities.
"We also expect it will be well received by the business community on both sides of the Atlantic because our prices in this sector compare very favourably with others."

Publication date 14/08/06

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #297
hkskyline
Hong Kong

INTERVIEW-UK airline bmi eyes new medium-haul routes -CEO

BRUSSELS, Sept 27 (Reuters) - British airline bmi is eyeing more medium-length flights like its new London-Moscow route in an effort to make better use of its valuable take-off and landing slots at Heathrow airport, the carrier's chief said.

Nigel Turner, chief executive of bmi, said it was interested in establishing more mid-range flights to complement its mostly short-haul schedule, but he declined to name specific cities that the carrier had in mind.

"We hope to get other medium-haul destinations," he told Reuters in an interview, adding the potential new routes would be served by Airbus A320 planes.

Bmi, formerly known as British Midland, said in July it would start daily flights from London to Moscow from Oct. 29 jointly with private Russian carrier Transaero.

The British carrier has the second highest number of sought-after take-off and landing slots at London's congested Heathrow airport, second only to British Airways. Bmi has been looking at other new, longer routes as it seeks to expand. It started flying to Bombay in India and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia last year.

Turner said the company would eventually be in the market for new planes but was not currently in talks with aircraft makers. He said the carrier would likely stick to Airbus planes for its mainline flights, Boeing for its no-frills division bmibaby, and Embraer for regional flights.

Turner was in Brussels to meet with officials at the European Commission, whom he planned to urge to speed up moves to sign an "open skies" aviation agreement with the United States, which would eliminate existing restrictions put on transatlantic routes.

Bmi Chairman Michael Bishop owns 50 percent plus one share of bmi, while Germany's Lufthansa has 30 percent minus one share and Scandinavia's SAS owns 20 percent.

(additional reporting by Michael Smith in London)

Old October 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #298
hkskyline
Hong Kong

British Airways September traffic up
4 October 2006

NEW YORK (AP) - British Airways PLC on Tuesday said passenger traffic edged up in September as capacity increased.

The London-based airline reported 10 billion revenue passenger kilometers in September, up 1.5 percent from the prior-year period. A revenue passenger kilometer equals one paying passenger flown one kilometer.

A kilometer is equivalent to about six-tenths of a mile.

Capacity increased 2.5 percent to 12.68 billion available seat kilometers. Capacity and traffic both grew about 11 percent in Africa and the Middle East, while declining in the Americas and Asia Pacific.

Load factor, or occupancy, fell to 78.8 percent from 79.6 percent a year ago.

So far this year, traffic rose 5.6 percent to 60.7 billion revenue passenger kilometers. Capacity increased 3.8 percent versus 2005, to 76.85 billion available seat kilometers, while occupancy grew 1.4 points to 79 percent.

Shares of British Airways rose $2.14, or 2.6 percent, to end at $84.74 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Old October 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #299
hkskyline
Hong Kong

BA union says pension talks in danger of stalling

LONDON, Oct 6 (Reuters) - Talks between British Airways and unions over a proposal to tackle its pension deficit are in danger of stalling, the Transport & General Workers Union (T&G) said on Friday.

BA met unions this week to discuss proposals to tackle the airline's 2.1 billion-pound ($3.96 billion) pension deficit, including raising the retirement age of staff.

The T&G, which was the centre of a strike by BA ground staff last summer, said in a statement the talks may stall.

"The way things are looking at the moment it could be that we fail to agree with all the uncertainty that a talks breakdown means," Brendan Gold, T&G national secretary for civil aviation, said in a statement.

BA said it was confident the issue could be resolved.

"We believe there is progress that can be made and we hope the trade unions will continue to consult with us on this important issue," the airline said in a statement.

The union said it would meet BA again next Wednesday.

BA said on Sept. 29 its pension deficit had more than doubled to 2.1 billion pounds. It wants to reach agreement with staff on a package of measures by November.

Unions have said the proposals are unacceptable.

BA shares fell 2.0 percent to 433 pence at 1304 GMT.

Old October 15th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #300
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Virgin to cut fuel charge by £5 a flight
14 October 2006
The Daily Express

VIRGIN Atlantic is to cut its fuel surcharge by £5 per flight in response to falling oil prices.

From next Wednesday, it will slash the charge from £35 to £30 per sector on all tickets sold in the UK.

British Airways said it had no plans to announce a matching price cut.

Virgin Atlantic acted after the price of crude oil fell below

60 a barrel in recent days, a drop of 19 per cent since prices peaked in mid-July.

Steve Ridgway, chief executive of Virgin Atlantic, said: "With lower oil prices, we can now pass some of the small savings we are making back to our travellers.

"Our fuel costs remain at historically high levels. We will continue to keep the surcharge under review, depending on the price of oil and the total costs to the business." Fuel surcharges were introduced in 2004 after crude oil hit the then unheard-of price of 40 a barrel.

Last week BA executives Martin George and Iain Burns quit as the airline admitted breaching internal rules on talking to competitors about fuel surcharges.