daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #421
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

The City! That geography is stunning too! I love the Ramapo Mountains.

I can't wait to see the HY supertalls in this image.

Rew-online

SEIM, ILOVENY liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #422
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I wouldn't waste my breath trying to explain the "only in NY" expression ...
Yeah I'm amazed at the number of people who take the phrase literally, but these sites are so fueled by city vs. city (and country vs. country) sentiment, everybody is on guard against any perceived slight.
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #423
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Guys, please stick to the topic!

(:, iamtheSTIG liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #424
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
JPMC is clearly trimming the fat, but it is still highly profitable and has over 15,000 employees at its 2 HQ towers that it owns on Park and on Mad (and thousands more at other locations in NYC). JPMC is the strongest bank in the world. Its HQ towers, particularly, its main tower on Park, are obsolete, and they need more trading space. JPMC clearly will build a new tower within the next few years.
Music to my ears if true. A certain unbuilt tower at WTC would look great with the Chase logo in the lobby! (or 50 HY if a new deal could come together...)

citybooster, iamtheSTIG, WillBuild liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #425
LondoniumLex
BANNED

They won't build at 50 HY bec they want to control the site, and Related won't give it up. Tishman's tower is a possibility though.
Old November 11th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #426
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

it would be nice though to have more developments looking at the less than nine figure income crowd. Everyone wants to build the showy 20 million dollar plus condos...but there will always be a market for residentials as New York is still New York. But the greed bubble of who can top this extravagance is only going to hold up to a point... I don't want New York to be known mainly as an oligarch's paradise.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #427
LondoniumLex
BANNED

New condo construction in NY has never been aimed at the masses. Modest 3 bedroom apartments in modest areas have gone for millions for decades.

Most New Yorkers rent, and most rent in shoddy, rent-regulated apartments.
Old November 11th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #428
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Most New Yorkers rent, and most rent in shoddy, rent-regulated apartments.
This is not the first time you've pulled this untrue "fact" out of the air.

From the New York City Rent Guidelines Board:

Quote:
As of 2011, rent stabilized apartments comprise approximately 59% of rental apartments in the Bronx, 43% of apartments in Brooklyn, 45% of Manhattan apartments, 42% of Queens apartments, and 15% of Staten Island apartments.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #429
LondoniumLex
BANNED

70% of Manhattanites rent, Jimmy McMillan.

http://observer.com/2013/06/he-who-hesitates/

Even if the number of non-free market was "only" 42 percent, that's a lot.
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #430
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

That wasn't the part of your statement I took issue with, Walpole. And you can bet that of the <1% of apartments that are vacant, virtually none are rent stabilized.

Obviously, none of this has much to do with 50 HY, but there are economic realities that do pertain to skyscraper construction that fall outside your worldview, like it or not.
Old November 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #431
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
New condo construction in NY has never been aimed at the masses. Modest 3 bedroom apartments in modest areas have gone for millions for decades.
Very true. Neil Patrick Harris recently bought a $3.6 million-dollar brownstone in Harlem.

Furthermore, "rent regulation" shouldn't exist. It detracts from the world's premier city.
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #432
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Most of the 8 million people who actually live here would disagree.
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #433
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
They are free to move.

New York City should be America's Monaco On The Hudson. It would be if the free market were left to its devices. We would have never hemorrhaged the jobs and companies in the 70s if not for the entitlement mindset. You have absolutely no right to live there. The entitlement mentality is disgusting.

Spam King liked this post
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #434
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
"Most" is untrue, actually. Support for rent regulation tends to hover around 50% within city limits, with about 40% opposed. That's a slim majority but not enough to say it has overwhelming support.

Quote:

This is not the first time you've pulled this untrue "fact" out of the air.

From the New York City Rent Guidelines Board:

That's only ordinary rent stabilization/control, though. There's another ~15% combined in NYCHA, Mitchell-Lama, Section 8 and similar programs. Slightly over 60% of all apartments in NYC are rent-regulated in some fashion, which gets you to around 45% of the population.

http://furmancenter.org/files/Furman...n_June2014.pdf

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by LastConformist; November 11th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #435
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Thank you LastConformist for the Furman Center report. I stand corrected on the relative percentage of controlled and/or subsidized housing. If you have a source for stats on public support for rent regulation, please let me know. A cursory search online didn't turn anything up for me.

As for Lion, I think your logic is deeply flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion View Post
They are free to move.
No, in fact they are not. There are significant economic barriers to movement. If people could just move away from the ghettos, please explain why they exist.

Quote:
New York City should be America's Monaco On The Hudson. It would be if the free market were left to its devices. We would have never hemorrhaged the jobs and companies in the 70s if not for the entitlement mindset.
This is just patently false. The job loss in the 70s in New York and virtually every other American city was a direct result of deindustrialization in the United States. What caused this? It was the free market, of course, allowing industry to go where costs were lowest (overseas). This is basic economics.

Quote:
You have absolutely no right to live there. The entitlement mentality is disgusting.
I'm guessing you don't believe people deserve much of anything, including your respect.

Quote:
Makes me sick to my stomach. All that stuff should be tossed onto the trash heap of history. We could make these leeches move to Jersey or something.
Do you have no concept whatsoever of the regional city? Do you really think pushing the poor past the city limits would change anything? Manhattan is an island in geography only.

Quote:
Cut all taxes supporting the welfare complex. Attract more corporations. Attract hard-working, law-abiding economic producers to the New York City economy. Bulldoze the housing projects and sell the land to Extell and Related.
I'm curious to hear your explanation on how social classes arise. Why exactly are there people who need public assistance? I'm also curious to know why you have such blind faith in developers. Please feel to clue me in.

NatFan9, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #436
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

I try to stay away from other people's disputes, especially when it partains to politics but you are taking it way too far.
This has nothing to do with your opinions which could very well have some merits but your language is not only disparaging but also ignorant and flat out dumb.
You can have opinions about people living in rent stabilized buildings but perhaps you should be a bit more educated about who you're talking about, there are plenty of older people, vets, educators, young people fresh into the work force and other type of people doing good and honest work living in those places. The few rotten apples don't represent a whole group of people. Just because some of us are fortunate enough not to have to live in those places doesn't make those people any less a positive force for the city than others.

And to the mods, how the hell is this kind of language allowed on this site when a mere off-topic discussion is cleared immidiately.
Quote:
We could make these leeches move to Jersey or something.
Seriously? And of course all of jersey is a dumpster.
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #437
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Well there is also all the up zoning that can be done on staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #438
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I really like the design for this tower and would not mind at all if it remains. However, the latest rendering published by Related on 55 Hudson Yards suggests that 50 Hudson (McD's) could possibly be in for a redesign. No surprise I guess and expect to see more versions of it moving forward.

From the looks of it from what I can see which is hard to tell, but the frontage sorta reminds me of this old 35 Hudson Yards design.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #439
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I'm hoping it keeps those subtle curves.

Just noticed it shows the small southern Related property. Never seen it before.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #440
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Is there a thread for that tower? I'm really curious how that block between 30th and 29th is going to shape up. Seems like it will be an important visual stepping stone between the Yards and the much shorter Chelsea area (if I recall correctly the neighborhood just enacted a height restriction of ~400ft).
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 hudson boulevard, 50 hudson yards, 504 west 34th street, hudson yards, new york, nyc