daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2015, 09:25 AM   #461
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
ba-da ba ba ba
I'm NOT lovin' it!

j-biz liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #462
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Remember that UBS will leaving Stamford and returning to NY in a few years. This might be a nice location for them.

ENLARGE
UBS headquarters in Zurich. Since the beginning of last year, UBS has boosted its ranks of senior investment bankers in the U.S. by about 25, or 20%. PHOTO: REUTERS
By DANA CIMILLUCA
May 7, 2015 4:12 p.m. ET
4 COMMENTS
UBS AG, which stumbled badly the last time it pushed to expand in the lucrative U.S. investment-banking market, is again seeking to build its business here—though this time with more modest ambitions.

Since the beginning of last year, UBS has boosted its ranks of senior investment bankers in the U.S. by about 25, or 20%, according to a spokeswoman.

On average, other big Wall Street firms have lost about five senior bankers on a net basis in that period, according to estimates based on publicly available information from financial-industry recruiter Options Group.

The push at UBS, which comes amid booming mergers-and-acquisitions and equity markets, has sped up in recent months, with the hiring of senior bankers from firms including Morgan Stanley, Lazard and Evercore Partners Inc.
UBS was less likely to attract talent from such top-tier firms after it suffered more than $50 billion of credit losses in 2008, necessitating a rescue from the Swiss central bank. That followed an ill-fated bid to become a top-tier player in investment banking in the U.S. before the financial crisis, and prompted UBS to largely abandon those ambitions.

Advertisement

When UBS announced in 2012 that it would further scale back and get out of several businesses in a restructuring, some analysts questioned whether it would ultimately part ways with the troubled investment bank and focus instead on its large and valuable wealth-management operation.

But the recent acceleration in hiring shows UBS still has ambitions for the cyclical, yet at times highly profitable, investment-banking business—even if they are more measured than before.

To be sure, UBS has room to climb. It currently is 14th in the ranking of U.S. M&A advisers by value of announced deals in 2015, according to Dealogic. In equity underwriting, it is 11th, while in debt, it is 15th.

UBS is expanding from a dramatically reduced employee base following successive waves of banker departures in the wake of the giant credit losses and other missteps. In its securities-and-investment-banking division, UBS had 11,794 employees as of last year, down from 23,739 on the eve of the financial crisis in 2007. Also, it often takes new hires years to bring in business—if they do so at all. European banks have had a notoriously difficult time penetrating the top tier of U.S. investment banking, though that hasn’t stopped them from trying time and again.

To win business from corporate clients with increasingly global aspirations, it is necessary to have a meaningful presence in the U.S., which accounts for almost 60% of the global investment-banking fee pool, according to Andrea Orcel, who runs UBS’s overall securities and investment-banking operation.

“You can’t have a global investment-banking franchise without a credible business in the U.S.,” Mr. Orcel said in an interview. The 51-year-old Italian, a former Merrill Lynch banker who was hired by UBS Chief Executive Sergio Ermotti in 2012, said he plans to keep up the current pace of hiring over the next few years—assuming he can find the right people—and that the U.S. is his main focus of investment now.

Underscoring the more limited scope of this expansion, Mr. Orcel likens UBS to a “super boutique,” an allusion to a crop of smaller merger-advisory firms that have enjoyed success of late.

UBS no longer has the lending muscle that helps larger rivals win business, but it retains a big sales-and-trading platform as part of its securities operation that helps attract and better serve clients, he says.

The hiring push will be “self-funded,” Mr. Orcel says—meaning overall head count under his leadership will remain steady. The strategy is different from past attempts by UBS and other European banks to expand in the U.S., he says.

Helping explain why UBS is in expansion mode again, its business has been performing well and the bank is back on sound financial footing.

On Tuesday, UBS reported that its first-quarter profit jumped nearly 90%, in part because its investment bank, like others’, is benefiting from strong merger-advisory and equity-underwriting activity. Those businesses, along with debt underwriting, form the core of an investment-banking franchise.

UBS’s deal-advisory revenue rose 12% year-over-year in the first quarter to 172 million Swiss francs ($187.7 million), while its equity capital markets business, which includes initial public offerings of stock, brought in 306 million francs, up 56%. UBS now has a relatively strong core capital ratio—a measure of its cushion against potential losses—of 13.7%.

Its shares have almost doubled from a low in mid-2012; over the same period, those of Swiss rival Credit Suisse AG, which had made more modest cuts to its investment bank, are up 43%.

Write to Dana Cimilluca at [email protected]
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #463
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Wow, 326 meters and only 48 floors, the ceilings must be as high as the ceilings of a cathedral, LOL
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #464
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Wow, 326 meters and only 48 floors, the ceilings must be as high as the ceilings of a cathedral, LOL
True, not to forget this tower will habe a flat roof too. Normally towers with that height have at least 65 floors if not a few more

Kanto liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #465
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I think the 48 figure is outdated.

The latest we've heard was 62 floors...

ploppalopp, Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #466
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Souds definitely more feasible. The old 7WTC had 47 floors and was just 174 meters tall, which is barely more than half of the height of this building
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #467
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Is Sotheby’s Looking at Hudson Yards Again?
http://www.artmarketmonitor.com/2015...n-yards-again/

Quote:
Sotheby’s CEO made a strong statement this morning suggesting that the company is planning to move its New York and London headquarters. Does that mean the Hudson Yards concept is back on the table?

Tad Smith’s emphasis on having space that “must be designed for our 21st Century workforce” would suggest a new development. But if not Hudson Yards, it sounds like the company is working aggressively to move and making it a priority.

Our real estate decisions in New York and in London depend crucially on our growth strategy. Our facilities must reflect our enhanced brand standards and the type of client experience we insist upon conveying. They must be elegant and welcoming, and exude superb quality in every aspect of the client experience.

Further, our facilities must be designed for our 21st century workforce. And, naturally, our real estate must be financed in a way that is prudent for our shareholders. Properly conceived, our real estate should be a cornerstone of our strategy just as it was when our esteemed former chairman Alfred Taubman set in motion the real estate position we have to this day. Real estate decisions — separate and apart from mortgage decisions — very much remain on the table and will be part of our strategic thinking.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #468
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I hope they go to Gurasole! They're too small to anchor 50 HY.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; May 14th, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #469
Vertical_Gotham

Yea me too. Hopefully Sotheby's to 3 Hudson and UBS to 50 HY or Hudson Spire.

Kanto liked this post
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #470
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Yea me too. Hopefully Sotheby's to 3 Hudson and UBS to 50 HY or Hudson Spire.
Don't forget Deutsche Bank!

I would like to see JPMC anchor the Spire.

ploppalopp, Kanto liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #471
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

NEW YORK | 50 Hudson Yards | 326m | 1068ft | 48 fl | Pro

I would very much for the Newscorp deal to fall apart and for JPMC returns back to lower Manhattan where it belongs in the form of anchoring WTC 2 and for Newscorp to take up residence at Husdon yards.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #472
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

totally agree because if newscorp gets their way the trade center would lose synergy.
optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #473
Vertical_Gotham

Hmmm…

McSky, mafd12 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #474
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Well that's certainly... something.

I guess it's a residential on the eastern 1/3, office on the western 2/3, with a shared base. We've been expecting trading floors, but wouldn't a residential tower generally have retail at the base? Maybe retail on the bottom and trading floors above... or retail on the residential side?

The architecture in that model is honestly pretty hideous, but we're likely still a long way from knowing what this will actually look like. But I guess it's good for us to know that this is generally how they want to parse out the programs of the building -- side by side instead of stacked. Which is really too bad, because if you stuck that residential shard on top of that office tower, you'd have something in the 1400-1500 ft. range.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #475
Vertical_Gotham

yea I agree, very disappointed. The residential portion looks to be around the same height as 10 HY. Anyways, I expect the design to go through many different looks by the time this sucker goes vertical getting the 35 HY treatment design wise. I hope Related ultimately goes with the single tower vs. the 2 tower plan.

Hudson11 liked this post
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #476
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22502

looks a bit deconstructionist. Gehry? I'm sure the design will change as 35 Hudson Yards has frequently. We've already seen two other designs.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #477
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I kind of like it and kind of don't,

they should just build the twisty one taller I think
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #478
citybooster

Wow... they really like to play around with the Equinox Tower, lol! That hotel has gotten a LOT bigger... I REALLY liked the cleaner earlier versions of the tower, and I'm really trying hard to adjust to this. However like has been stated they'll keep changing it again and again, and lol winding up just surprising us when they are well under construction. What's Equinox( 35 HY) anticipated height with this, and the hotel part?
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #479
Vertical_Gotham

Another POV.

@ daniel geiger

mafd12 liked this post
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #480
citybooster

While I will love HY overall I'm sorry, just don't really think what they've done to 35 Hudson is anything positive. They could have included the hotel in the original one building concept, they really are taking away from what could have been a breathtaking tower and greatly lessened it. Now the hotel appears 40+ stories and would be better off being one tower in itself.

Tags
2 hudson boulevard, 50 hudson yards, 504 west 34th street, hudson yards, new york, nyc