daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #161
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6793

On HY Facebook Page

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #162
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

I'd love for the pedestrian areas of Hudson Yards to incorporate the patterns of the train tracks below it ...
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #163
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

^ Yea I think related is only showing buildings that will be built by the time the main towers of phase 1 will be (around 2017-18), tho 220CPS should be in that pic too, guess they didn't find out about it soon enough.
But as great as this render look I can't wait for Steinway and Nordstrom ( as much as I despise the current massing) to get the green light; to think that 2 of the tallest buildings aren't even on this render yet shows how impressive the skyline will be in 4-5 years.
And yea, Verre should be shorter than it shows, I will never get over it, the only plus about it is that the new design is even better than the first one.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #164
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

50 Hudson Yards
http://chelseanow.com/2014/02/hudson...ern-rail-yard/

< 1080 ft
62 Floors

Quote:
And in terms of looking for tenants, Related is now going through that process for two other office towers planned for the north side of West 33rd Street — technically not over the rail yard, but still considered by the developer to be an extension of the first half of the Hudson Yards project. One of those planned buildings, 50 Hudson Yards will rise to 62 stories and will be wide enough to cover nearly half the block between 10th and 11th Avenue, according to current plans.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #165
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Huh. I don't mind that this being shorter will give 30 HY more prominence by comparison, but they definitely had us thinking bigger than that with the "staircase" model.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #166
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Huh. I don't mind that this being shorter will give 30 HY more prominence by comparison, but they definitely had us thinking bigger than that with the "staircase" model.
That model was really sketchy though. It looked more like a bad birthday cake than an actual proposal.
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #167
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Is this the cylindrical one? This building is just awesome, glad to know if built it might reach 1080'
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #168
MarshallKnight

No, it's the McDonald's site tower, an early version of which was shown at Related's Time Warner Center exhibit:

(On the left, with the setbacks)
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #169
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina

Likes (Received): 2605

Quote:
No, it's the McDonald's site tower, an early version of which was shown at Related's Time Warner Center exhibit:

(On the left, with the setbacks)
cool
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #170
Jay

yeesh this thing is massive... in a good way
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #171
MarshallKnight

Actually, looking at it again, that model looks to be about the correct height (~1080 ft.), when you compare it to the ~1000 ft. 35 HY, so I'd wager it's probably more or less current.

I have to say (again, since I've said it before) I find the overall cluster of buildings to be kind of an incoherent mess. But I realize I'm in the minority opinion here.
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #172
Jay

Quote:
Actually, looking at it again, that model looks to be about the correct height (~1080 ft.), when you compare it to the ~1000 ft. 35 HY, so I'd wager it's probably more or less current.

I have to say (again, since I've said it before) I find the overall cluster of buildings to be kind of an incoherent mess. But I realize I'm in the minority opinion here.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but at least they make for a really awesome incoherent mess.
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #173
Ghostface79

Quote:

No you're not alone here. I do like some of the towers in the complex, but as a whole they don't complement each other and the whole thing just looks too busy, unlike the WTC, which fluctuates beautifully and I think is one of the best designed complex in the world.
But again Related might be looking at HY more as a new neighborhood than just a complex, so coherence is not quite a priority just as it isn't with most of the city's clusters.
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #174
Vertical_Gotham

While the WTC complex is great, I prefer the eventual much larger HY cluster (Related phase 1 & 2, Brookfield Manhattan West, Hudson Blvd Phase 1 & 2) as it will be set up.

I think it would be fun entering this dense mini city, via the high line and exploring within in this maze of these towering concrete and glass vertical forest. Plus you will have these great public spaces within to explore such as Hudson Yards Plaza, phase 2 HY parks, MW plaza & the Hudson Boulevard. For me busy with the layout is good with this project = more fun factor. You may not feel like your in NYC within the Yards. It would be a different city feel within NYC imo.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, Hanyuu222 liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #175
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Brookfield better get it's act together because design wise the most interesting part of it will be the recladded building across from the Hudson Yards that now appears brutally Brutalist. The rest of it is boxy and highly unimaginative. All the Hudson Yards towers have some kind of distinctive visual appeal... whether the corset and tubes of the Culture Tower or the winding , twisting shift from rectangular to cylindrical at the Equinox Tower. Then you have the sharp, playful crystal angles f the Hudson Yards main towers...even 50 Hudson has an interesting roof. Then you have 55 Hudson which I still am not sure will remain in its present hulking, set back layered form. Then the Girasole which is not directly owned by Related and therefore isn't officially part of Hudson Yards.... the Sherwood site, the Hudson Spire site...goodness knows how much soaring skyward greatness!!!!!!!!!!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #176
Ghostface79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
While the WTC complex is great, I prefer the eventual much larger HY cluster (Related phase 1 & 2, Brookfield Manhattan West, Hudson Blvd Phase 1 & 2) as it will be set up.

....You may not feel like your in NYC within the Yards. It would be a different city feel within NYC imo.
I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing on this, but we're really comparing apples to oranges. As I said Hudson Yard is more of a new cluster which is more comparable to midtown and downtown rather than just the WTC, so that kind of organized chaos is fitting just as it is in those other clusters, after all this is what makes NYC's skyline great.
But if you were to confine HY just within phase one, as a complex, it doesn't match the coordinated beauty that is the WTC.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #177
Jay

the cylindrical tower looks over 1000' as well
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #178
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
the cylindrical tower looks over 1000' as well
Yep, that would be 35 Hudson Yards exactly at 1000'

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #179
Vertical_Gotham

How to build a Brand-New Neighborhood in NYC

Building an iconic tower in New York City comes with many challenges -- now multiply that by 15. Jay Cross is leading the financing, planning and construction efforts of the nearly 30-acre Hudson Yards development raising Manhattan's West Side to new heights. When completed, the Hudson Yards will have added fifteen new buildings to Manhattan's already impressive skyline. Cross talks about some of the challenges he and his team have faced while planning a project of this scale and how he hopes it will impact the city.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #180
Vertical_Gotham

iamtheSTIG, Zabonz, sgollis liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; February 28th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Tags
2 hudson boulevard, 50 hudson yards, 504 west 34th street, hudson yards, new york, nyc