daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

CHICAGO | One Museum Park | 221m | 726ft | 62 fl | Com

Height: 734 ft
Floor count: 65
Construction end: 2008
Architect: Pappageorge/Haymes, Ltd.
Developer: Schatz Development LLC

Website

This is the thread for One Museum Park, a highrise planned on the eastern edge of Roosevelt Rd. It will be the first of 4 highrises slated to frame the southern end of Grant Park.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; September 26th, 2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Add
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #2
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

^You beat me to it.

Once again the sales center for One Museum Park will be opening Monday January 10, 2004. I be going, and whatever information I obtain I will post.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #3
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
^You beat me to it.

Once again the sales center for One Museum Park will be opening Monday January 10, 2004. I be going, and whatever information I obtain I will post.
I be waiting
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #4
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Great looking building.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #5
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Hey Urban, maybe you should edit the title of this thread so that it reflects the buildings stats.

One Museum Park (65 stories/720')
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Hrmm... looks gerthy to me. I'll be curious to see some other angles.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Simpatico78

Likes (Received): 0

67-story condo tower planned on LSD at Roosevelt

By John Handley
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 9, 2005

The tallest new residential building on Chicago's lakefront is close to receiving city approval.

The city's Department of Planning and Development is reviewing the final designs for a 67-story condominium to be built at the southwest corner of Lake Shore Drive and Roosevelt Road.

The tower has taken two years to design, in part because of the city's demands for a landmark-quality building on the prime site.

"We encouraged the developer to explore a unique design, because it will be a focal point on Lake Shore Drive, a showpiece for the Near South," said Peter Scales, a spokesman for the Department of Planning and Development.

Because of its height and location, the tower will become a prominent fixture on the city's skyline. The building will stand 670 feet tall. In comparison, Lake Point Tower, built in 1968 at the foot of Navy Pier, is 645 feet.

"We want world-class architecture there. It is at a critical part of Chicago's front yard," said Samuel Assefa, the department's deputy commissioner for design review. "We haven't given the green light to the project yet, but that should happen in a month or so."

Called One Museum Park, the new condo will have 265 units. The developer is Enterprise Cos. and the architect is Pappageorge Haymes Ltd., both Chicago firms.

Preconstruction pricing starts at $500,000 for two bedrooms plus den and $800,000 to $1.5 million for three bedrooms. Square footage of the units ranges from 1,425 to 2,917.

One Museum Park is the first of four residential towers that will be built on Roosevelt between the drive and Michigan Avenue. It will be the highest structure in Central Station, the 80-acre, mixed-use development that could have as many as 15,000 residents.

The master developer is Central Station Development Corp., a partnership of Chicago-based Fogelson Properties Inc. and Forest City Enterprises of Cleveland.

The city's review of One Museum Park will include the developer's application for administrative relief to construct a building so tall. The city approved a planned development for the site in 1989 that allows 400-foot-high buildings.

"At first, we were disappointed at the elevations submitted for approval. Our primary concern is that it will add value to the city," Assefa said.

He noted that Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago envisioned Roosevelt Road as a gateway to the west.

"There is no requirement, but we suggest that the developer meet with neighborhood groups to show them the design," Assefa said.

Ronald Shipka Sr., principal of Enterprise, said construction will start this summer, with first occupancies 26 to 28 months later.

"One Museum Park is by far the most prominent vertical project we've ever done," Shipka said.

He added, though, that another current Enterprise project, University Commons, has more units. The conversion of the former South Water Market has 850 units.

Planned for the tower are concierge service, indoor and outdoor pools and an exercise facility. Parking, at a cost of $40,000 to $55,000 per space, will be on the first four floors.

Jeff Renterghem, project architect for Pappageorge Haymes, said it has taken two years to design the building. "Several schemes were rejected by the city Planning Department and we had to go back and retool."

He said that the intent from the beginning was to design a modern building, but the first versions had more of a traditional Chicago look with a Mies van der Rohe influence.

"The city wanted a more future-looking, truly elegant building. There were a lot of expectations, both from the city and the developer. This was to be the premier building in Central Station, a landmark that can seen from anywhere," he said.

He added that a primary goal was to create maximum views from the tower and also to preserve view corridors, taking into account existing and future buildings.

Unobstructed views from the condos will include the Museum Campus, Grant Park, Monroe Harbor, Navy Pier and the Loop's skyline.

"It's unique on the skyline," said Renterghem. "There's nothing like it in Chicago."

Above the structure's 62 residential floors will be "a very dynamic top, a modern, sculptural statement clad in stainless steel," he said. The equivalent of five more stories, it will house the building's mechanicals.

"We went as tall as economically feasible. Going higher would just be for ego," he said.

The top five floors will be reserved for penthouses.

Peter Skosey, the Metropolitan Planning Council's vice chairman of external relations, said new residential towers along Roosevelt Road make sense because they will frame the south end of Grant Park.

"The south wall of new buildings will form a bookend, like Randolph Street is on the north end of the park," Skosey said.

The sales center for the building is at 13th Street and Indiana Avenue, a short distance from the future construction site.
Simpatico78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #8
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

LOOKS LIKE WE NEED A CHANGE IN HEIGHT

ONE MUSEUM PARK 67 STORIES/670' FT

Yup,

I was just about to post that same article.

Today seems to be a great day when it comes to building skyscrapers here in Chicago.

Looks like they added 2 more floors and about 50'

******' EXCELLENT

Last edited by BVictor1; January 9th, 2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #9
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
LOOKS LIKE WE NEED A CHANGE IN HEIGHT

ONE MUSEUM PARK 67 STORIES/670' FT

Yup,

I was just about to post that same article.

Today seems to be a great day when it comes to building skyscrapers here in Chicago.

Looks like they added 2 more floors and about 50'

******' EXCELLENT
Huh? Ok, now I'm confused a bit. I thought the previous height was 65 stories at 720' but you stated that they added 2 extra floors and 50 extra feet coming to a grand total of 670'. Is the height 670 or 770? That article posted by SullivanJoe also says 670' but I always see height posted at 720'. Im so confused and I hate being confused. This is such a great building in that development and I just want to make sure my facts are straight when I brag to my friends and family back east about Chicago. Help!
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #10
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I don't know why I keep saying that 50' was added. I did that in the other thread as well. That's because I had it in my mind that when there was that presentation of the project about a month ago, it was stated that the building would be 720'. So dude, I got a bit confused myself. I guess that well just have to wait until the guys at Emporis see the blueprints.

Typing in 770' was my mistake.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #11
BrilliantRealty.com

Last edited by BrilliantRealty.com; January 10th, 2005 at 11:05 PM.
BrilliantRealty.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #12
BrilliantRealty.com

Grand Opening

Did anyone else make it to the sales center this morning for the grand opening today?? It was a ZOO!!! There was definitely alot of interest.......people were forcing the sales agents to take their checks. A good amount of the northern tiers sold out at $450/sq ft.
BrilliantRealty.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #13
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Okay, well I've just come from the sales center. It was ******* busy. A total madhouse, and i'm sorry to day a bit unorgainzed. I got different answers from everyone. I was told that the building would be 61-stories, the handout packet that I got said the building would be 61-stories, and when I called Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd., who are the architects, they told me 61-stories. When I counted the floors on the model I came up with between 66-70 stories including the mechanical penthouse. I tried to count several times, and that's difficult to do on such a large model, because you can't help but blink, and you tend to loose your place.

Sorry that I couldn't do better guys. I will go back in several weeks when things have cooled down. As I said it was crazy there. When I asked how many units there would be I was given ansewrs in the range from 187-units to 240-units so....

I was told that they taken reservations for more than 50% of the building. Now I don't know how true that is, as I said I will revisit in a couple of weeks.

Now for some renderings and model pictures

This is a rendering that comes with the building description packet.

This rendering is from the Chicago Tribune 01/09/05

Looking northwest towards the tower.

Looking east.

This is the back southwest corner of the building.

Looking south at the north face of the building. That's Roosevelt Road that you see running along the base.

Looking up at the eastern facade.

The crown.

Another shot of the western facade looking east toward the building.

A small turnaround and courtyard in the back southwestern corner of the building.

A smaller version of the One Museum Park model placed within the larger model. Looking southwest.

Another shot of the southern facade looking north.

Looking down upon the base.

As I said before I will go back soon for more information. Sorry I couldn't get it this time. Hope you enjoy the pics.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #14
The Urban Politician
The City

^****** A!

Awesome pics, great reconnaisance work, BV!

I absolutely love the building. It's a behemoth, in a sense, it's a counter-attack to the sleek Trump Tower and Waterview Towers. Bulk, bulk, bulk, Chicago-style. I am dying to see this thing get constructed
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #15
oshkeoto

^ I love it. Anyone able to make any renderings with it in the skyline? That view of it from the Museum Campus is just awesome.
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #16
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well... I've still got my reservations on this one. The top is a work of art... but, I'm hoping the rest is just losing something in translation. It still seems too (to steal the perfect word from TUP) "bulky" to me. At the same time, I love the idea of its scale... it is going to simply dominate the southern skyline.
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #17
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

^I don't mind at all. We wouldn't be real architecture geeks if we didn't use these images for our own "pleasure" or should I say our own personal documentation.

Okay, well I counted the floors on the rendering that I got from the sales center today, and I did count 61 floors NOT including the stainless steel mechanical penthouse on the top of the structure. On the copies of the floorplan layout of the units, the highest unit is on Floor 61. Now, according to the residential features sheets I got today the units will have 9' Ft ceiling heights, and lets just assume that means all the residential floors.

Let do a bit of unscientific math.
Residential floors: 61 x 9' = 549'

Estimated guess of floor plate thickness: 61 x 1.25' = 76.25'

Mechanical Penthouse: 5 x 9' = 45'

TOTAL = 670.25'

In the renderings the mechanical penthouse appears to be about 5 stories, and I don't think that there will really be floos in there seeing as it will house chillers, air conditioning equipment and all other type of stuff that's large, so in that calculation I left out the floorplate thickness.

That concludes this lesson for the evening ladies and gentlemen!!!

What you all think?
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #18
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

^
Simply fantastic!
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #19
northsidesoxfan

^Nice work!

The models indicate that Grant Park will be extended south and the IC tracks covered all the way to 14th Street or so.

Do the building's promotional materials promise the park's exention?
northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #20
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

how could the park be extended to 14th if Central Station is in the way? Roosevelt = 12th.