daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #21
2PRUROCKS!

Likes (Received): 0

^The park will be east of central station, covering the tracks south of Roosevelt.
2PRUROCKS! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #22
FarNWburb
Rockford, IL

Posted on the Central Station website, however updated it might or might not be.....

Grant Park Extension over Metra tracks
Central Station has donated 4 acres of property over the Metra railroad tracks between Roosevelt Road and 14th Street to the City of Chicago to extend Grant Park. The purpose of this park is to enhance the entrance to the Museum Campus and Soldier Field, hide the railroad tracks and provide recreational amenities to the neighborhood.

I am curious myself how they are going to tie this into the existing Grant Park, and the Museum Campus. Will they be building a new pedestrian bridge over LSD, Roosevelt? IMO, it doesnt seem like it would be such a great "enhancement to the entrance" if one had to walk from 14th north 2 blocks, cross Roosevelt, follow the big sweeping path under LSD, and then come back south 2 blocks to get to the McFetridge area entrances, and walking paths. But at any rate, it sure will be an awesome front yard for One Museum Park when it gets finished....
FarNWburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #23
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Is any of this related to the closure of the entrance to the campus from Columbus?
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #24
Zuelas

damn, I liked it before I even saw the model. one of my favorites planned for chicago
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #25
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

This article is from the Skyline paper. And for those of you who don't know what Skyline is, it's a weekly community newspaper. I am typing this article word for word, including the errors.

January 13, 2005
"South Wall" condo project moves ahead in Grant Park

By: Adam Pincus
Contributor

Saying it will nicely frame the south end of Grant Park, comminity groups are pleased with plans for One Museum Park, the condo tower thar will anchor the long-awaited "South Wall" project in the park.

In fact, the only complaint neighborhood groups have about the high-rise tower planned for Columbus and Roosevelt is that it is not quite tall enough.

Developer Central Station Development Corp. submitted plans for 65-story anchor building to the city, but will likely start with 61-feet and possibly build up to 65-feet. One Museum Place is one of the four buildings that will form the "wall."

"The city is approving 65 stories," said Tim Desmond, president of Central Station Development Corporation, who said they could add stories if there is interest.

The city's Dept. of Planning and Development was expected to approve the plan Wednesday, January 12. Construction on One Museum Park, which went on the market January 10, is planned for this fall.

Jeffrey Key, president of the Greater South Loop Association, said the group had wanted at least a 70-story tower in order to ballance the 1,136-foot Aon Center and other buildings on the north side of the park.

"But we are happy that they did a large, architecturally-significant building there," said Key.

Desmond said the costs for a 75-story building "were outrageous. The costs just "skyrocketed" as it got taller, and "the pricing in Chicago wouldn't support that kind of height."

Developers and architects unveiled renderings and outlines for the four buildings that make up the project to about 100 people at a December 9 community meeting hosted by the Grant Park Advisory Council and the grant Park Conservency.

Co-developer Fogelson, in a phone conversation December 24, explained that the city wanted architecture that would form a gateway to the museum campus and be "bookends to the (Grant) park."

He said the city and community groups, cognizant of the lasting significance of these buildings, urged developers and the Chicago-based architect, Pappageorge/Haymes to build modern and slender structures. The same firm recently designed the towers to be built at 600 N. Lake Shore Dr.

The city, he said, "wanted modern architecture. They wanted balance on the Park, to frame the Park. They did not want lots of mass, but taller and more graceful [buildings]."

Local community groups, such as South Loop Neighbors, support the project and the building, though not without some reservations.

The president of South Loop Neighbors, Leslie Gryce Sturino, said in a phone interview that One Museum Park, "is a very sharp design. It will add some real sparkle to the south end of [the Loop] skyline."

She added however, "Some of our members thought it was counterintutive to build west to east, getting increasingly taller," thereby blocking some views of the lake. One Museum Park will be the tallest building in Central Station.

The buildings are planned for the northern edge of the 80 acres of land owned by Central Station Development Co., a partnership of Chicago-based Fogelson Cos. and Cleveland's Forest City Enterprises, Inc. These companies are partnered with Chicago-based Enterprise Development Co. for the development of the first two buildings, which will include One Museum Plaza.

The corner tower will house "about 280" market-rate condominium units, reguardless of the height, which will be priced between $400,000 and $4.1 million, according to developers.

The engaging architecture is a union of two separate design elements: a mast-like central tower with vertical accents, which is framed on each side by asymmetrical wings of staggered terraces, full of horizontal accents.

The economic impact on the south Loop promises to be tremendus, which is what developers and community leaders are counting on.

Central Station, which currently accounts for about a quarter of all condominium sales in the Loop, according to Desmond, will grow by 1,000 units with the completion of the four buildings.

These buildings, Desmond said, "Set the stage for the development of the park", as development at the north end of Grant Park spurred the development of Millennium Park.

Each building should generate approximately $2 to $3 million in property taxes for the Near South Tax Increment Financing District (TIF), which will be used for infrastructure and other projects.

Bob O'Neill, president of the Grant Park Advisory Council said, "We are looking into TIF money for Grant Park south," which he characterized as still unfinished near Roosevelt Road.

The scene at the VIP sales release, at the Museum Park sales offices at the corner of 13th St. and Indiana Ave. was a "madhouse" Monday, according to one attendee.

He said he waited an hour in an unsuccessful attempt to meet with a sales agent, before giving up and leaving. "I overhead people talking about buying several units," he said, adding that he thought a lot of the building boom in the South Loop is investor driven.

The building should be ready for occupancy in 2007.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, there is still a chance for an increase in height. In my opinion, the developers better take every chance possible to increase the height of this building; it's not every day when you get several neighborhood groups who want a taller building. And I think that Mr. Desmond was incorrect when he said the prices wouldn't support a taller building seeing as there are 2 soon to be built residential buildings in Chicago surpassing 1,000'.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #26
oshkeoto

^ DAMMIT! Why is this city incapable of producing a substantial body of good, modern buildings?

That thing next to One Museum Park is ugly and boring and should be shot.
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #27
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
^ DAMMIT! Why is this city incapable of producing a substantial body of good, modern buildings?

^Lets see:

1. Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

2. Waterview Tower

3. 65 East Huron (proposal)

4. One Museum Park

5, 340 On the Park......

Need I go on?

The building next to One Museum Park is just a preliminary design, and to be honest, it's not the best image anyhow. The design might be than it appears.

And to answer your original question, les you've forgotten Chicago invented modern skyscrapers!
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #28
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkeoto

^I'm sure it's a very preliminary design..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #29
FarNWburb
Rockford, IL

""Desmond said the costs for a 75-story building "were outrageous. The costs just "skyrocketed" as it got taller, and "the pricing in Chicago wouldn't support that kind of height.""

NEWSFLASH!!!!
Waterview Tower 85-story 1,030'
Trump Tower Chi 90-story 1,125'
I guess we should prepare ourselves for the cencellation of these giants. The pricing in Chicago wont support that kind of height. Who is this guy? A prime piece of land like that, in that location, with those views.... can surely support the "skyrocketed" costs of another 5-7 storys.
FarNWburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #30
oshkeoto

"The building next to One Museum Park is just a preliminary design, and to be honest, it's not the best image anyhow. The design might be than it appears."

Okay, this is true. I was hasty.

But my point still stands, I think. I don't know. I've just been looking at the NY thread, and the average quality of their new stuff seems to blow us out of the water.

Or maybe I exaggerate.

"1. Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago

2. Waterview Tower

3. 65 East Huron (proposal)

4. One Museum Park

5, 340 On the Park......

Need I go on?"

Well, actually, yeah. We've built 30-some 300-foot buildings over the past five years, we have another thirty or forty in the works, and so half a dozen good buildings is not going to cut it. I'm talking about the overall quality, what people see when they're not looking at our landmarks.

I mean, I'm not exactly breaking new ground when I say that a lot of Chicago's building boom has been schlock, but I'm getting frustrated: why is that?
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #31
bobablob

If you're inclined to compare New York's construction efforts with Chicago's construction efforts, do so in a new thread. DO NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD. Leave this thread for those of us interested in discussing this very exciting new development.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #32
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
""Desmond said the costs for a 75-story building "were outrageous. The costs just "skyrocketed" as it got taller, and "the pricing in Chicago wouldn't support that kind of height.""

NEWSFLASH!!!!
Waterview Tower 85-story 1,030'
Trump Tower Chi 90-story 1,125'
I guess we should prepare ourselves for the cencellation of these giants. The pricing in Chicago wont support that kind of height. Who is this guy? A prime piece of land like that, in that location, with those views.... can surely support the "skyrocketed" costs of another 5-7 storys.
I think alot of us are being awfully presumptious, aren't we? Trump Tower and Waterview are both in far different locations. South of Grant Park is worlds apart in terms of location from the riverfront in the Near North. Condominium prices are lower in this tower (~500grand for a 2 bedroom + den?? that was the price for a 1 bedroom in trump, iirc, if even that) and it doesn't have the hotel option to help create a stream of income (that would help justify the increased costs). While we may be architectural/city fanatics and think this development is a gift from god, the average person who would invest so much money in a downtown location would much rather pay more for something near the area of Trump Tower/Waterview than something so far away (relatively) from such prime downtown area. Being in such a nice building is just a fringe benefit. Someone mentioned $450/sq ft? Perhaps for this area, that's nice, but remember Trump was trying to push $1000/sq ft.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #33
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Today myself, Chicago Shawn, and Dan K. from Emporis re-visited the sales center for One Museum Park. On the downside we were unable to obtain the exact height of the tower at this present time. On the upside the building is 80% sold. Yes, 80%...

If we find out anything else we'll let you know.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #34
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Today myself, Chicago Shawn, and Dan K. from Emporis re-visited the sales center for One Museum Park. On the downside we were unable to obtain the exact height of the tower at this present time. On the upside the building is 80% sold. Yes, 80%...

If we find out anything else we'll let you know.
^You're ****** kidding me. 80%? Holy Shit!

Why don't they just start construction NOW?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #35
mypetrobot

when is it supposed to start construction?
mypetrobot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #36
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypetrobot
when is it supposed to start construction?
Sometime this fall.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #37
mypetrobot

what about the proposed building beside it do you think they are going to push that forward or faster then planned based on the sales on one museum?
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #38
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
what about the proposed building beside it do you think they are going to push that forward or faster then planned based on the sales on one museum?
Well, we were told that they were already several months ahead of schedule whith things already. I believe that another building or two will be announced within the next couple of months or so.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #39
mypetrobot

did they say what the heights were going to be on next building or two? man finally closing up the south side of grant park. this going to be awesome.
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #40
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
did they say what the heights were going to be on next building or two? man finally closing up the south side of grant park. this going to be awesome.

don't have heights for anything yet. I did hear a sales agent mention that the building directly west of One Museum Park would be in the 40 something story range, but that's all I know. Once things start to cool down a bit more information will probably come out, but as of now, nothing.