daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #221
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

so i was wondering.................could you cover the surface of one of these things with solar panals? the surface area of one of these chimneys would be huge so instead of just concrete you could use solar panals to increase the energy output even more.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #222
aliendroid

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
That would be awesome. We could build thousands of those over all the useless states (you know, Idaho, Montana, etc), and be completely independent from oil.
1st, idaho and montana are not useless states but that's pretty typical of someone from the northeast and 2nd we wouldn't want our country full of these, I hope a few large ones are built (one in texas) for the sake of being able to compare them later to other sources of power and for the sake of progress but wind mills are much less of an eye soar. Texas is the leading state in the USA in wind power and they are installing a whole lot more this year. I drove to lubbock 3 months ago and just a few days ago and between that time and now they managed to build an entire large wind farm within a few miles of the road and I saw new wind mills being constructed on all of the already existing wind farm sites that I went by and texas also boasts the largest wind power plant on earth. In lubbock they actually have one large electric wind mill within the city!

My solution to the energy problem is to use wind power in large wind farms and use solar only on roof tops of homes and buildings. Also if you take the graph of the power production during the day for the wind mills that put power into the texas grid for example it won't be a perfectly straight line, which is a problem-- you need to maintain the capacity of peak power usage in reliable sources but there is a solution to that problem as well. You look at the graph of the power produced over a long period of time and find a horizontal line where you have at least that much power 90 percent of the time (That is 90 percent of the time the wind mills combined are producing at least this much power, let's say that reaches 50,000MW some day although total capacity could be 150,000MW), then anything below that goes into the grid and anything above that or anything that isn't otherwise used goes into hydrogen production through electrolysis. Then build enough hydrogen burning or hydrogen cell power generators that can produce 50,000 MW in case you have a windless day all across the state. Now to make up for the fact that there is more power demand during the middle of the day and wind power is slightly less in the middle of the day then at night, solar panals come in very handy and if they are distributed on roof tops (including industrial buildings) they can help reduce power demands during the day (esp middle of the day) significantly.

So I think that building huge numbers of large scale solar power plants isn't the best way to go but it would be nice if a few are built.
aliendroid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #223
aliendroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
so i was wondering.................could you cover the surface of one of these things with solar panals? the surface area of one of these chimneys would be huge so instead of just concrete you could use solar panals to increase the energy output even more.
wouldn't be worth it, the tower is vertical and the point of the day where sunlight is most intense is when the light would be moving almost parallel to the surface of the side of the chimney, thus producing no power.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #224
xXFallenXx

thanks. i kinda agree. i think that instead of just having large solar towers we should have a combination of large towers and houses with solar panals on top. if every house was built with solar panals the houses would be completely self-sufficant (energy wise) and we could build the large towers for factories and office buildings.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #225
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

It's also based on the fact that heat rises (captured under the huge solar-paneled disc, thus spinning the huge turbines @ the base passing thru the generators within the stack producing the power) so the further up you go, the lesser gained anyway - wouldn't be quite as practical or $$$s viable. Would make it look reeeeally classy though

Watch the 3 min vid CULWULLA posted...about 2 1/2 mins into the vid it explains:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post

Last edited by Muse; July 20th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #226
aliendroid

Quote:
thanks. i kinda agree. i think that instead of just having large solar towers we should have a combination of large towers and houses with solar panals on top. if every house was built with solar panals the houses would be completely self-sufficant (energy wise) and we could build the large towers for factories and office buildings.
Plenty of industrial sites, schools and office buildings in California already have solar power systems in use on the roof. They normally can't produce all the power they need but at least they reduce the amount of power they take from the grid.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #227
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10131

if you want to see the site for Buronga tower heres a reference>
http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/i...ure__Proposed_
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #228
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

This Solar Tower reminds me of the one in the game for the X-Box 360 Armored Core 4. I think this solar tower has great potential. If building this Solar Tower leads us one step closer in cleaning up the environment then I'm all for it!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #229
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
idaho and montana routinely have temps. over 100 in the summer so i think it would be very plosible to build some of these in that area. there is so much open space there we could build dozens of these and that would be enough to power some nearby states. we could also build some in the desert areas in California, Arizona, and Texas to power (or at least help to power) those states as well. as to the FAA not letting us build these, i think that they dont really have a choice. we need clean almost unlimited energy and they are starting to realize this.
It has little to do with how hot the summer gets. It's more about the entire year. The location in Australia where this is planned has over 300 days of sunshine a year. Even though they would work very well in the Idaho and Montana summers, they would be almost useless for half of the year. Also, I would imagine the closer to the equator, the better.

Last edited by Green Jello; July 20th, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #230
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

this is rely intresting ! i rely hope mour contreys is going to buld this kinde of strukture
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #231
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

correct me if Im wrong, but I always thought that the biggest collection in the country of windmills is in Palm Springs, CA... well for sure it was at least at one point....
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM   #232
kofemord
Santiago Rocks

Likes (Received): 148

whats this one's exact height?
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:51 AM   #233
xXFallenXx

the one in Australia is 600m but the U.S. could get a 1000m verion
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:06 AM   #234
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

don't forget the height-limit of 610m in the USA
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM   #235
xXFallenXx

i didnt think it was an absolut limit just much more paperwork to build higher.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:29 AM   #236
aliendroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
correct me if Im wrong, but I always thought that the biggest collection in the country of windmills is in Palm Springs, CA... well for sure it was at least at one point....
Although Germany has a lot more wind power overall then texas does, the Horse hollow wind farm near abilene with 735 MW of capacity is the single largest wind farm on earth today, but there's an oil tycoon here that's planning a wind farm that will produce about 4000MW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19231397/
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:31 AM   #237
xXFallenXx

wow 4000MW thats crazy. you wouldnt think an oil tycoon you want a wind farm.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:40 AM   #238
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Wind power is such a blight on the landscape. TIMO they shold be outlawed for their visual pollution. Not everyone may agree but I think wind turbines look worse than a nuclear plant.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:43 AM   #239
xXFallenXx

i think that they should put wind turbines out in the oceans. they could make thousands of them and most people would ever see them.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM   #240
aliendroid

Quote:
wow 4000MW thats crazy. you wouldnt think an oil tycoon you want a wind farm.
Actually a lot of them are smart enough to be investing into it in texas. The land is leased by the rancher (who often is an oil tycoon as well) at about 3,000 to 5,000 bucks per wind mill per year. Imagine putting 2000 wind mills on your land.

$3,000 * 2,000 = 6 million bucks per year.

A lot of people don't realize that the oil here in texas isn't going to last very long but a lot of oil tycoons do realize this.

Tags
sevilla