daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #381
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

This Tower is all about economics... so I belive it will never built.

5x200m towers are cheaper than 1x1000m and produce the same amount of power, plus the mentenance of a 1000m tower would be hell...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:47 PM   #382
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Spain already had the first one! but only 200 metres tall or so and it fell down. And we have the heliostate towers in Sevilla (3 towers x 160 metres), anyone has seen this kind of tower outside Spain?
I seem there is in France a similar heliostate tower in the French Pyrenées but the design is diferent. About Spain I was refering about the 750 m project in Ciudad Real, I wrote yesterday to Campo 3 to have more information about the state of the project.
antovador no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #383
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12345

we have this one planned *in* london

large amounts of public support for it. if it goes ahead, and i think it should, itll be revolutionary. in this case the turbine is in the centre of the tower, the dome around it houses offices under it and they will be topped by tropical gardens. lopping around the outside of the solar chimney as you can see will be apartments!
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #384
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

wth? you should make new thread on that, but looks like those towers from Chicago.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #385
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2614

There was a thread on it a while ago.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #386
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

it's visionary, so no thread
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #387
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240728

Is there a plan to built those huge structures, especially more 1.0 km high ?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #388
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1729

World's Tallest Structure Planned In Namibia

Published on 03-09-2008 by Skyscrapernews.com

What could be one of the defining landmarks in the evolution of solar technology that will see the world's tallest structure built looks like happening in the south African state of Namibia.

German firm Hanh & Hahn are planning to construct a 1,500 metre tall solar tower in the depths of the Namibian desert for the cost of $150 million dollars that can potentially generate 400 megawatts of power - equivalent to 308 average wind turbines.

The structure will be called Greentower and feature a massive greenhouse 200 metres in diameter with a central concrete chimney to channel the updrafts caused by the air currents created within by the natural heating of the structure from the sun that will run almost twice the height of the Burj Dubai.

The solar chimney will contain wind turbines that will be powered by the moving air currents and generate most of the schemes power.

As an additional source of income for the developer, the greenhouse will be used to grow crops too turning an otherwise arid desert into a resource that can be harnessed and used to feed Africa with, a concept so simple some might wonder why it has taken so long to even be proposed.

Solar power of this nature is gradually becoming more popular. Even London has seen a similar proposal in recent months by Rafael Vinoly to stand next to Battersea Power Station. Despite being 300 metres tall that proposal has secured over 70% public support from Londoners indicating there's a huge amount of enthusiasm for this technology.

If built Hanh & Hahn's scheme will take it to new heights but the Namibian government is claiming they have yet to receive a serious proposal making some fear this could all be a lot of hot air.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM   #389
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

haha would be quite hard for dubai if this gets built :-D
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #390
wjfox
Futurist

I really, really hope it gets built, and hopefully many others like it. As the 21st century progresses we are going to need as many of these solar towers as possible, to reverse the effects of global warming. I love the inclusion of the greenhouse too, which could provide food to starving Africans. In fact these mega-projects could actually go a long way towards reducing poverty in the developing world... just imagine if we built hundreds of them.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM   #391
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

How much energy is generated from one of those?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM   #392
wjfox
Futurist

Read the article.

"... can potentially generate 400 megawatts of power - equivalent to 308 average wind turbines."
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM   #393
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61050

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Dude View Post
haha would be quite hard for dubai if this gets built :-D
Let's wait and see how fast "Dubai" will come with it's own solar tower. It's not like they got the climate against them and they do use more and more electricity every day.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #394
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1729

World's Tallest Structure Planned In Namibia

Published on 03-09-2008 by Skyscrapernews.com

What could be one of the defining landmarks in the evolution of solar technology that will see the world's tallest structure built looks like happening in the south African state of Namibia.

German firm Hanh & Hahn are planning to construct a 1,500 metre tall solar tower in the depths of the Namibian desert for the cost of $150 million dollars that can potentially generate 400 megawatts of power - equivalent to 308 average wind turbines.

The structure will be called Greentower and feature a massive greenhouse 200 metres in diameter with a central concrete chimney to channel the updrafts caused by the air currents created within by the natural heating of the structure from the sun that will run almost twice the height of the Burj Dubai.

The solar chimney will contain wind turbines that will be powered by the moving air currents and generate most of the schemes power.

As an additional source of income for the developer, the greenhouse will be used to grow crops too turning an otherwise arid desert into a resource that can be harnessed and used to feed Africa with, a concept so simple some might wonder why it has taken so long to even be proposed.

Solar power of this nature is gradually becoming more popular. Even London has seen a similar proposal in recent months by Rafael Vinoly to stand next to Battersea Power Station. Despite being 300 metres tall that proposal has secured over 70% public support from Londoners indicating there's a huge amount of enthusiasm for this technology.

If built Hanh & Hahn's scheme will take it to new heights but the Namibian government is claiming they have yet to receive a serious proposal making some fear this could all be a lot of hot air.
see my post 354.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #395
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2845

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Read the article.

"... can potentially generate 400 megawatts of power - equivalent to 308 average wind turbines."
They never say how much is consumed in building one, my guess from earlier estimations is that this will take over 200 years to pay back the energy used in construction. I know you like to think this is a great solution, but to me it seems far more of a problem!

Look to the oceans for real options!

EDIT: here goes:

4.8 * 10^9 Joules to produce 1 tonne of concrete, thats 4800 mega joules (from here http://www.edcmag.com/CDA/Articles/C...00000000166118 - 1 BTU = 1 055.05585 joules )
weight of CN tower is 118,000 tonnes so let's use a conservative estimate for this 1.5km tower as 300,000 tonnes.
time to pay off 1 tonne of concrete at 400MW = 12 seconds (watt is a joule per second)
Time to pay off entire tower = 41 days

Clearly i made a mistake last time, apologies... carry on

Last edited by nezzybaby; September 4th, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
nezzybaby está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #396
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Huh?

If it takes 4800MJ to produce a tonne of concrete then running at 400MW it'll take 12 seconds to pay off one tonne not 12 hours
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #397
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

^That's strange was sure i'd edited it before anyone had a chance to read that...

My last edit:
Last edited by nezzybaby; Today at 11:26 PM.

Malecs post:
Today, 11:33 PM

hmmmmmm
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #398
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I think I kept the page open for a while while I was editing it.
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #399
oracle

Likes (Received): 0

$150 million compared to 308 'average' wind turbines? How much does an 'average' wind turbine cost?

It would be great to have a cost/output comparison of this with other green systems. I like tall towers, but I also like projects that make sense.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #400
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

^Average cost of a 1MW wind turbine is $1.5million, but that price can vary considerably with location.... as can i'm sure a solar tower.

However you're missing the real advantages, a solar tower will generate constantly, and will take up less ground space than 300 turbines. So this makes more sense not less

Tags
sevilla