daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #41
darulez
Stadjer (European)

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Rog
Looks like the turbines are at the base of the tower. But what happens if one breaks down? Who the hell is going to get in there and fix it. If the wind speed is so fast you are just going to get sucked up the vent.
It's simple, you close the chimney and/or role up the tent...and away is the airflow.
darulez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #42
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Rog
Looks like the turbines are at the base of the tower. But what happens if one breaks down? Who the hell is going to get in there and fix it. If the wind speed is so fast you are just going to get sucked up the vent.

Dam... how the hell do you quote an image!
Repair it overnight; solar plants don't function when it's dark.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #43
EAT my SHORTS!!!!!!
AMERICAN IDIOT-GREEN DAY

Likes (Received): 25

when is it going to start
THIS IS THE TOP FLOOR,SAID THE ELEVATOR MAN
HAVE ANOTHER FLOOR PUT ON,SAID MR.OUT
HIGHER,SAID MR IN
[COLOR=Navy]HEAVEN ,SAID MR.OUT[COLOR/]
"F.SCOTT FITZGERALD...
EAT my SHORTS!!!!!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #44
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 331

New challenge to Dubai. To build a 1001m structure.
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #45
BOSTOON

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixvolta
New challenge to Dubai. To build a 1001m structure.

BOSTOON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #46
clive330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Repair it overnight; solar plants don't function when it's dark.
actually this one is meant to. They store thermal energy under the tent during the day so it runs at night.
clive330 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #47
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive330
actually this one is meant to. They store thermal energy under the tent during the day so it runs at night.
All night? The airflow should die down to a whimper halfway through the night, no?
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #48
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

^no!
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #49
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

Not sure if it has been answered before, but how much power will this construction generate?
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #50
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 488

It generates power for 200,000 homes (at any 1 time)
200MW ?

"EnviroMission’s inspirational program to adapt innovative Solar Tower technology to Australian conditions and construct the world’s first large-scale solar thermal power station is set to deliver a renewable energy solution that will also be a destination and extreme engineering icon.

The scale of the first 200MW power station will capture worldwide attention and attract significant added value through tourism and agribusiness.

View Video Clip (7 MB)

A single 200MW Solar Tower power station will provide enough electricity to power around 200,000 households, similar to the number of homes in a city the size of Hobart (capital of Tasmania) or Geelong (major suburb of metropolitan Victoria, Australia).

The energy output will represent an annual saving of more than 900,000 tonnes of greenhouse CO2 gases from entering the environment, with an outstanding Life Cycle Analysis of 2.5 years."

"EnviroMission’s Solar Tower is proposed to generate electricity 24-hours a day. The power station will be at its most efficient on the hottest days when energy is most needed and peak prices are paid for electricity.

Re-radiation of heat present in the ground under the collector zone will provide the energy source during the night. This special feature enhances the commercial viability of the power station and gives EnviroMission a consistent competitive advantage over other forms of renewable energy generation."
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #51
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2668

wow, mega project!

its a bit of a shame that the future worlds tallest structure is so bland, its just a big chimney...

its a pity that our first 1000m object is not a building.

it is a good idea though and i think that it is likely to get built.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #52
DUBAI
Under the Burj

is it made from concrete? if so surely it defeats the purpose of being eco friendly. i cant imagine the amount of c02 that would be produced from making all the concrete for this tower!
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #53
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Or imagine the CO2 required to produce 200 MW of power using coal!

Apparantly they have found a way to produce even more electricity out of the tower.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #54
demanjo

Raptor: The company acknowledges that it is not environmentally friendly to build, but what is?

Over the life of it however, it will cut down greenhouse emissions on the whole. That is the goal. Everyone realises that you have to do "work" to achieve the goal in the end.
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #55
NJANJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb_raptor
is it made from concrete? if so surely it defeats the purpose of being eco friendly. i cant imagine the amount of c02 that would be produced from making all the concrete for this tower!
"...with an outstanding Life Cycle Analysis of 2.5 years"

I don't know anything about 'Life Cycle Analysis', but I suspect that the above quote means that after 2.5 years of operation, the project has prevented as much C02 entering the atmosphere as was produced in constructing it.
NJANJA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #56
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Ahh, ok i just heard that 54% of the worlds co2 comes from concrete, so i was wondering..
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #57
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

The exact height is 1010m with an observatory at exactly 1000m. This is an answer in response to an earlier question on page one.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #58
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

Hey i know its "just a chimney" but atleast its not belching out harmful pollutants, its just gonna be hot air which replaces green gases annually!
i think many people think this wont happen, BUT its gonna happen. It just takes time to plan its infrastructure. Constuction firms-Leightons have employed hundreds of workers who are soon to relocate out near Buronga, 30km north of Mildura.

todays story in NEWS!

Outback's solar tower will reach for the sky

MELBOURNE - The firm behind a plan to build a power-generating solar tower - touted as the world's tallest structure - in Outback New South Wales is to sign an agreement to buy the site.

Melbourne-based Enviromission will buy a 10,000ha slice of Tapio station at Buronga, 25km northeast of Mildura, to build the 1km tower.

Enviromission chairman Roger Davey would not confirm the purchase price, but said it was "more than A$1 million" ($1.1 million).

The agreement will be signed in Mildura, 550km northwest of Melbourne, before an audience of community leaders.

"This formalises the commitment between Enviromission and the vendor subject to planning issues, so we can move ahead with confidence," Davey said.

"It confirms our commitment to the site and the Sunraysia region for the first solar tower."

The mammoth project, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, will be built by the end of 2009.

The reinforced concrete tower will cover an area the size of the Melbourne Cricket Ground's surface at its base and will be surrounded by a "greenhouse" of glass, polycarbonate and polymer.

Air at 30C at the edge of the glasshouse is heated up to 70C at the centre, where the tower draws it through 32 turbines to the cooler air above.

The power station will produce up to 200 megawatts of electricity - enough for a city the size of Hobart - and can generate 24 hours a day.

Enviromission floated on the Australian Stock Exchange in 2001.

Its major investor is the owner of the solar tower technology, US company SolarMission Technologies.

Enviromission has the exclusive Australian rights to the technology, first developed on a much smaller scale in Spain in the early 1980s, using a German design.

A group of Chinese investors has formed a joint venture to invest a further US$2 million ($2.88 million) in the project's development.

There are also plans to invest a further US$8 million for development of a solar tower in China.

Enviromission will be a part owner of a global intellectual property company that will benefit from solar towers built around the world, Davey said.

The pre-feasibility study was completed successfully in February last year.

construction of the Solar Tower

more stats>>
The 200MW Mildura solar chimney

The 1000m Solar Chimney in Buronga, Australia, will be the highest man-made structure on Earth, and can produce 200MW of electricity, providing power to 200,000 homes. The cost to build the tower is estimated at AUS$700 million (US$395 million), about 14 percent more than an equivalent coal-fired power station, and about 70 percent more per installed megawatt than a comparable wind farm. However, the investment will pay off in long term because it is more reliable than wind farm in sun-rich Australia and requires no fuel. By building the solar chimney power plant, the Australian government target of producing 2% of energy from renewable sources by 2010 (9500 GigaWatt hours) could be met easily.

Details of the solar chimney are as follows:

Type: Solar Tower power plant with steel-reinforced concrete tower and steel/glass solar air collector (alternatively with polymer glazing)
Features: The base of the tower will be between 170 to 200 metres. The chimney is basically a very simple tube with wall thickness of 25cm, diameter of 150m and a height of 1000m. The collector roof will be 5000m in diameter.
Power: Up to 500 Gigawatt hours per year
Company: Enviromission Ltd
Construction time: About 18-36 months
Expected completion date: 2009
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #59
demanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb_raptor
Ahh, ok i just heard that 54% of the worlds co2 comes from concrete, so i was wondering..

Wow, that is a hell of alot. I would doubt this figure though...
But i havent heard otherwise, so i cant prove you wrong.
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #60
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Remember that coal and trees are pure carbon so when you burn them, all the carbon is released into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide. It also removes one molecule of oxygen out of the air for each atom of carbon burnt.

I don't think the production process for concrete would involve releasing that much CO2.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sevilla