daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #81
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Oh well, at least we still have Burj Dubai to look forward to, which will be almost as tall as the original planned solar tower.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #82
Johan
Lurker

Likes (Received): 17

But i dont really understand why it has to be of concrete, cant they just use any air-tight material? like some kind of industrial grade plastic? and if the rush of air gets stronger the greater the diffrence in temperature is. Why not connect that long plastic tube to a satellite in geostationary orbit? please excuse my ignorance, im not an engineer...
Johan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #83
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Johan, you sould leave hard drugs !!!! XD XD
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #84
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

i feel dissapointed that this has happened, but as id been saying all along thisll never get built to 1km also slightly smug. its a shame, but do we really want the biggest building in the world to be a chimney???
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #85
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

A 1000m solar tower will happen.

Expect one after the 500m if its sucsessfull.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #86
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

so what's the latest with this?
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #87
RUM
and COKE please

Likes (Received): 0

The one thing I still can't undertand is how this thing will stand up.

Look at the foundations that are required for the Burj, now considering this thing is going to be 1000m high, yet there needs to be fans underneath the giant structure to let the air go through, how can this all work??
RUM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #88
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Oh Well!

I was looking forward to 1000m.

Burj Dubai will break 800m and that's not all that bad.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #89
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Why bother with a 500m tower? It's pointless IMO - the power output will be less than ideal and it will achieve nothing as far as iconic status goes - who cares about a 500m chimney, it's hardly and earth shattering development now. Sure it may be a stepping stone but really I don't see the value in it now. If i was local council or state government, I'd revoke the the application to build. No news could be more deflating than this, to people of the area, with their hopes of something fantastic.

Well for Australians this is a slap in the face IMO. If they can't build it to the original specs - i'd rather not have it at all, broken dreams and promises. It really sucks. How short-sighted and what a cop-out. It's nice to see we will end up with an 800m tower in Dubai but this does nothing to aid Australia in it's quest for some engineering marvel.

Last edited by Avatar; April 10th, 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #90
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

The 500m stack will still have an external lift and 500m high observation around its rim. As citystyle says, a 1000m version will definatley happen but maybe in China or elsewhere. money seems to be a problem with Australian projects.?
Anyway ground clearance has started in Buronga and leightons contractors are setting up housing and new road net works ect. Also a major concrete plant will have to be built to service the stack.
I know it wont be as high as Burj Dubai but it still will be just as impressive. remember BD will end up a pinnacle at 500M+ make upwards. the Solar Tower is 80m Diametre whole way up!!!!
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #91
Bahraini Spirit

Cool thanks for the clarification. So, maybe in another year to year n a half, this one should be u/c.
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #92
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

well so China might have the title after all !
Though it would remaind with Dubai for some time
year and half to wait till is starts
Still plenty of time for it to be canned by Australia
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #93
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3716

Have heard about this. It could be the first structure to pass the 1 kilometer border if they didn't scale it down!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM   #94
dylane

Anyone have a link?

I'm doing a presentation on the solar tower for a class tomorrow and this is the first I've heard about the reduction in scale. Does anyone have a link to an article that mentions this? The EnviroMission website still shows it being 1000M, and I wasn't able to find a mention with Google News either. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dylan
dylane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:33 AM   #95
dylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Rog
Looks like the turbines are at the base of the tower. But what happens if one breaks down? Who the hell is going to get in there and fix it. If the wind speed is so fast you are just going to get sucked up the vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darulez
It's simple, you close the chimney and/or role up the tent...and away is the airflow.
I don't think you would even need to do that, the wind is only estimated to be 35mph, which really isn't that strong, at least not strong enough to suck up a human I think...but I'm no physicist, so what do I know.

-Dylan
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM   #96
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 1533

Dylan - Culwulla broke the news about it being reduced to 500m and he heard it on "the grapevine" so its not official yet - most people wouldn't know. I'd just say its 1000m but maybe mention that you've got a couple of contacts and there is a possibility it will be reduced to 500m because of financial viability concerns. You might get some extra marks for having the inside info

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:26 AM   #97
dylane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolus
Dylan - Culwulla broke the news about it being reduced to 500m and he heard it on "the grapevine" so its not official yet - most people wouldn't know. I'd just say its 1000m but maybe mention that you've got a couple of contacts and there is a possibility it will be reduced to 500m because of financial viability concerns. You might get some extra marks for having the inside info
Thanks Oriolus. I wonder what reducing the size to 500m will do to the power production/cost ratio. I know solar towers are supposed to gain in efficiency as the heighth increases, so I'd guess the cost per kwh would increase greatly. My presentation is a "pre" cost-benefit analysis of the tower...cutting the thing in half might influence my results a bit.

I do appreciate the info though, and I'll just have to keep an eye out for an official announcement when it comes. Thanks again.

-Dylan
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM   #98
dylane

Sorry. Posted twice

Last edited by dylane; April 21st, 2005 at 07:45 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:34 AM   #99
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I'm happy the 1000m tall solar tower isn't being built [yet].

My reason? Because I'm looking forward to having the tallest freestanding man-made structure on Earth being a habitable building, not some inhabitable tower, antennae or concrete cigar.

GO BURJ DUBAI!!!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #100
gurukool
build intelligent

sounds really great
shall be a good platform for newer skyscrapers
can replace existing facades
can virtually replace exterior glass
gurukool no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags