daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12275

I'm wary of these "ugliest" threads as they usually lead to regional fighting. Let's keep it objective, please. To be honest, most cities I've been to with subway systems have attractive and ugly parts... so be careful of only showing attractive or only showing ugly photos and making sweeping statements about the whole system.
Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've been to cities where everyone LOVES the subway stations, and I find them ugly and retro looking. So, let's keep an open mind and be fair!

BringMe, Highcliff, Subsequence liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #22
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

Worry not, I'm keeping an eye on this thread...
Svartmetall está en línea ahora  
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #23
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I think the 'ugliest metro system' doesnt mean 'ugly trains' but 'ugly infrastructure'.
So even if the Manila trains are nice, the system is still not beatiful.
Have you ridden Manila's metro system? Just because the infrastructure isn't that great on some lines doesn't mean is the ugliest in the whole Asian continent.

Me being a frequent rider I never had any complaints except for Line-3 which is operated by The MRT.

It's according to which line.

Line-3 for example is again a failed system due to it's inefficiency. But this doesn't mean the metro line is ugly according to how we define the term.

It is planned by someone who is not familiar on how metro systems work. Why build a light rail system plying a major route when a heavy metro system could have been built there instead?

Having only 4 ticket booths (no ticket vending machines at all), security inspection at the turnstiles, lack of a unified / smart card system plus use of light rail rolling stock leads to really long queues on purchasing a ticket and massive overcrowding.

Worst is our government is not going anything about and infrastructure is the major weakness of the current administration as they have their own private vehicles but still have to face our metro's notorious traffic jams.

Credits goes out to the photographers,

The failure of line-3 is a basis for improvement on future metro lines especially the newer line-2 which uses heavy metro, ticket vending machines, cleaner metro system and better efficiency.

Also improvements with line-1 with the upgrade to light metro rolling stock which can handle more commuters.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Manila-X; October 27th, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Manila-X no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #24
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

One's opinion on line-2

Last edited by Manila-X; October 27th, 2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #25
blasll

Likes (Received): 7

Paris, ugly, dirty and with black patches of something falling off the walls

_Night City Dream_, rawr liked this post
blasll no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #26
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Chicago has to be in the running if not the lead. There are a few exceptions of nice stations but in general most of the stations and system look pretty rot. To some degree I've learned to find a BIT of romance in the antiquated system though.
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #27
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Americas: New York
Europe: Rome or Paris
Asia: Manila
Spikespiegel no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #28
Christi69

Likes (Received): 191

In Paris, more than the metro system, which is sometimes quite old (the first line opened in 1900), but has been often redone, the RER (regional express rail system) is really unwelcome, with still mostly old overcrowded trains (and stations stink!).
Christi69 no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

IMHO, the Roma metro has to have one of the least attractive environments for passengers in Europe. The graffiti combined with the aging decoration of the stations on the old stretches, combined with the general lack of integration of the system between the "true" Metro and the other light rail lines, and the overall lack of network coverage combined to give a very bad passenger experience. I must admit I don't quite understand how urban rail in Rome came to fall behind other big western European cities in that way, but I'm glad to see that there is beginning to be some catch-up, since Rome desperately needs improved urban rail.
Neb81 no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #30
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9979

Parts of Bucharest Metro are ugly, not so much the trains but some stations have ugly colours and dirt all over.

Rome metro is indeed ugly, especially the grafitti and the grit.

Paris metro is comparatively beautiful, but the smell, the fact that loitering and roudy behaviour are commonplace, and the dirt in many parts of the system really make it one of the least nice in Europe to ride. If it were cleaned more often and had some extra security, it would be better.

Brussels metro is not far off.

Budapest metro, but only line 3. Line 2 is very nice, by contrast, and line 1 is historic and beautiful.

The cleanest and best kept metro in Europe, in my opinion, is Prague. Not in that they take so good care of it, but when building many of the stations the designers took great care in chosing materials that make it look "clean", do not glue to dirt, etc.
Robi_damian no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #31
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

I'll nominate San Jose for the ugliest trains award. Okay, it's light rail, not a metro, but the trains are hard to beat in terms of ugliness.

greg_christine no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #32
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonii View Post
it would be interesting to know what is uglier metro system in asia. Since most of them are quite new.
Manila's metro system is the oldest in South East Asia with line-1 completed around 1984.

But trains and various infrastructure were modernized to meet the current needs.

There are now plans to improve Manila's metro system such as unified ticketing system, extension of existing lines, additional metro lines, smart card system and more TVMs.

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #33
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
Amstedam has some damn ugly trains.

It's as if some 80s buses were put to a new use

Highcliff, Subsequence, Kamov liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #34
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Exactly what I thought!

image hosted on flickr

Kolothos no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #35
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2089

Prague stations are claustrophobic

Frankfurt is really vandalized
Shenkey no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #36
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Have you ridden Manila's metro system? Just because the infrastructure isn't that great on some lines doesn't mean is the ugliest in the whole Asian continent...
Of course i have! Otherwise i wouldnt have mentioned Manila.
Dont take this thread personally! It's just my opinion. From all systems in Asia i rode this was the ugliest one.

Quote:
Manila's metro system is the oldest in South East Asia with line-1 completed around 1984.

But trains and various infrastructure were modernized to meet the current needs.

There are now plans to improve Manila's metro system such as unified ticketing system, extension of existing lines, additional metro lines, smart card system and more TVMs.
It doesnt matter if the system is old or new. It is not nice.
What is good, as you say, there are plans to improove the metro in Manila.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora  
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #37
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Berlin has some quite ugly stations, and parts of the ring S-bahn look horrible, but they are slowly working on it.

NY subways is probably the ugliest one in North America. Many decrepit stations, unacceptably old staircases and rusty columns etc.
Old October 28th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #38
tonii

Likes (Received): 3297

Quote:

Yeah, that's exactly my point. Other Asian country has pretty new metro system except Manila which is quite old (for the line you mention). So I'm kind of curious what else could be uglier.

Maybe this thread title might sound a bit harsh. But I don't think saying it's ugly is such a bad thing. It's just opinion. You can even have a very modern system but still ugly. For example the latest Boris bus in London we just had. And I believe nobody has anything personal to Manila or The Phillipines in general. So you might not need to take all response offended and explain all of those reasons
tonii no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #39
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's as if some 80s buses were put to a new use
These trainsets have been built between 1973 and 1980.
DiggerD21 no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #40
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

They look American rather than Westeuropean.
friedrichstrasse no está en línea  

Closed Thread