daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #41
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Have you ridden Manila's metro system? Just because the infrastructure isn't that great on some lines doesn't mean is the ugliest in the whole Asian continent.
Well its either Manila, Kolkata or Chennai. All other Asian metro systems are just functional and clean. Not works of art but not decrepit either.
saiho no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #42
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Of course i have! Otherwise i wouldnt have mentioned Manila.
Dont take this thread personally! It's just my opinion. From all systems in Asia i rode this was the ugliest one.

It doesnt matter if the system is old or new. It is not nice.
What is good, as you say, there are plans to improove the metro in Manila.
Nothing personal at all!

But we Pinoys are in the era of rebranding ourselves as foreign media tend to portray our country in a negative way and tend to focus on that instead of the positive aspects of it.

It is my reason in participating here in SSC as to show people the real image of The Philippines as it is an island nation filled with natural wonders, a booming economy and stability.

And while we still have our own social problems here, we still voiced them out and think of solutions in solving them.

Recently, NAIA Terminal 1 has been rated as the worst airport in the world which I highly agree but people tend to take notice that the label is for the entire NAIA and not just Terminal 1.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; October 28th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #43
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonii View Post
Yeah, that's exactly my point. Other Asian country has pretty new metro system except Manila which is quite old (for the line you mention). So I'm kind of curious what else could be uglier.

Maybe this thread title might sound a bit harsh. But I don't think saying it's ugly is such a bad thing. It's just opinion. You can even have a very modern system but still ugly. For example the latest Boris bus in London we just had. And I believe nobody has anything personal to Manila or The Phillipines in general. So you might not need to take all response offended and explain all of those reasons
It is a sensitive thread and I totally disagree that Manila's metro system overall is the worst in Asia. Overall including line-2.

And there are many Pinoys out here will become sensitive about this especially those who love the city and the metro system in general particularly The LRT is in fact isn't a light rail system.

My opinion though in this one is split as I really like The LRT but not The MRT.

Our metro system isn't the best in Asia but it functions well as it bring people from Point A to Point B fast as Manila's roads are congested.

Last edited by Manila-X; October 28th, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #44
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Seriously Manila? There are much uglier metro systems around Asia! The fact I ride it many times and it gets to the places I wanted to go. Plus we don't have that garbage and vandalism problems that NY has!

MRT line-3 may be a failed system but it is cleaner compared to some Euro systems especially that of Rome!

I would consider MRT line-3 as ugly but the entire Manila metro system? Certainly not!
Are you kidding? LRT1 is the wost of all. The stations are the ugliest I've ever seen.
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #45
Kolony
Skyscraperman

Likes (Received): 240

Americas: NYC, Chicago, or Toronto.
Asia: Kolkata or Chennai
Europe: Bucharest
Kolony no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #46
Julio CAF
L3, L11 user

Likes (Received): 4211

America: NYC
Asia: Manila.
Europe: Rome
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #47
Scizoid.Trans.Prog.
platfusy i koderaści sio

Likes (Received): 312

People writing NY or Paris ugly are crazy. Those the beauties. They have this nice mood. They have many lines, many connections. And the cars running in both cities are beautiful, especially those silvers in NYC
Too bad they sinked the Redbirds tho...
Scizoid.Trans.Prog. no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #48
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Manila isn't the worst in south-east Asia. The KL LRT is far less unified, and quite frankly, the Ampang Line really did fall out of the ugly tree and hit it's head on every branch on the way down.

It's also worth noting this was built *after* the Manila metro opened - lessons were not learned.

Aesthetics aside, the lack of any joined up approach to developing the LRT in KL makes it a passenger nightmare. For more than a decade, trying to integrate a mess of formerly privately owned and not only mutually incompatible,but also totally seperate lines with no meaningful idea of interchanges, into a usable system has been one of Prasarana's living nightmares.

Tom 958 liked this post
Neb81 no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #49
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Are you kidding? LRT1 is the wost of all. The stations are the ugliest I've ever seen.
Doesn't mean it's the ugliest in Asia.

These stations were built back in the 80s and have the traditional Philippine architecture compared to the newer lines.

The problem is maintaining them more modern stations were constructed in it's extended lines.

Again, there were lessons learned from both line-1 and line-3. And this is why line-2 had more improvements from the previous ones.

Last edited by Manila-X; October 28th, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #50
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Manila isn't the worst in south-east Asia. The KL LRT is far less unified, and quite frankly, the Ampang Line really did fall out of the ugly tree and hit it's head on every branch on the way down.

It's also worth noting this was built *after* the Manila metro opened - lessons were not learned.

Aesthetics aside, the lack of any joined up approach to developing the LRT in KL makes it a passenger nightmare. For more than a decade, trying to integrate a mess of formerly privately owned and not only mutually incompatible,but also totally seperate lines with no meaningful idea of interchanges, into a usable system has been one of Prasarana's living nightmares.
In fairness to KL, it's LRT system got unified in both ticketing and connection.

A light metro network works better for KL than Manila as it's population is much less plus the volume of commuters. But there are future heavy metro lines planned for The Malaysian Capital.

Last edited by Manila-X; October 28th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #51
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Well its either Manila, Kolkata or Chennai. All other Asian metro systems are just functional and clean. Not works of art but not decrepit either.
Kolkata's Metro was completed in the same year when Manila's metro system opened and it was the first in India.

Chennai's metro is still under construction, at least it's first two lines.

Last edited by Manila-X; October 28th, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #52
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I think that's enough now. Aside from the historic global transport discussion threads, let's keep the discussions within each local transport thread and not have more global broad based discussion threads.
deasine no está en línea  

Closed Thread