SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Carlisle Street Social Housing (Felling) | Gateshead | Various | Completed

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited)
Text from Gateshead Council website

"New social housing will be built at Carlisle Street in the Brandling area of Felling in 2011.

Around 25 new homes will be on offer.

These include apartments specially designed for elderly residents and several family-sized houses.

Red Box will design the houses, Galliford Try will build them and they will be managed by HOME. "

These pictures taken 07/11/11 show the progress made to date on the site area previously occupied by Brandling Court council maisonettes/flats (demolished along with other similar blocks to west side of Carlisle Street) and 2 storey stone built properties on plot to south of the Old Fox public house (demolished under separate scheme in which a new gable wall to the pub was provided)

Well served by 2 real ale pubs - The Wheatsheaf and The Old Fox but perhaps a little bit noisy on " Chucking Out"

KEN

See less See more
#2 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling - ongoing New social housing development as at 02/01/11

Following my post #322 of 07/11/11 here are some update photographs of this project

"New social housing will be built at Carlisle Street in the Brandling area of Felling in 2011.

These include apartments specially designed for elderly residents and several family-sized houses.

Red Box will design the houses, Galliford Try will build them and they will be managed by HOME. "

These pictures taken by myself 02/01/12 approx 1030 ( hosted on Photobucket) show the progress made to date on the site area previously occupied by Brandling Court council maisonettes/flats (demolished along with other similar blocks to west side of Carlisle Street) and 2 storey stone built properties on plot to south of the Old Fox public house (demolished under separate scheme in which a new gable wall to the pub was provided)

From south of metro tracks adjacent former Sunderland Rd police station ( shows rear elevations)

From Carlisle St & William St

From Carlisle St bridge over tracks

KEN

#3 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling - ongoing New social housing development as at 02/02/12

Following my previous post #477 of 02/01/12 here are some update photographs of this project (hosted on Photobucket)

These pictures taken by myself 02/02/12 approx 1430 ( hosted on Photobucket) show the progress made to date on the site area previously occupied by Brandling Court council maisonettes/flats (demolished along with other similar blocks to west side of Carlisle Street) and 2 storey stone built properties on plot to south of the Old Fox public house (demolished under separate scheme in which a new gable wall to the pub was provided)

Next to The Old Fox Pub gable wall

North of The Wheatsheaf Pub

From south of metro tracks adjacent former Sunderland Rd police station ( shows rear elevations)

KEN

#4 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling - ongoing New social housing development as at 11/03/12

Following my previous post #539 of 04/02/12 here are some update photographs of this project (hosted on Photobucket)

These pictures taken by myself 02/02/12 approx 1130 ( hosted on Photobucket) show the progress made to date on the site area previously occupied by Brandling Court council maisonettes/flats (demolished along with other similar blocks to west side of Carlisle Street) and 2 storey stone built properties on plot to south of the Old Fox public house (demolished under separate scheme in which a new gable wall to the pub was provided)

And tucked away behind the above

KEN

#5 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling - ongoing New social housing development as at 25/04/12

Following my previous post #609 of 11/03/12 here are some further update photographs of this project (hosted on Photobucket)

These pictures taken by myself 25/04/12 approx 0915 ( hosted on Photobucket) show the progress made to date on the site area previously occupied by Brandling Court council maisonettes/flats (demolished along with other similar blocks to west side of Carlisle Street) and 2 storey stone built properties on plot to south of the Old Fox public house (demolished under separate scheme in which a new gable wall to the pub was provided)

This is copy of "Google StreetView" showing area of the site (to right of Carlisle St & above the rail lines)

My pictures

View across railway

Property south of The Old Fox pub

Looking east

Rear view of above properties

Properties "behind" Carlisle St

Assume the use of green and white panelling on new properties is attempt to match the Wheat Sheaf Pub, below

KEN

#7 ·
The green and white panelling is horrible. Those would have been decent looking houses (especially for social housing) if it wasn't for that panelling.

On a plus side it is good to see that the planners tried to get most of the houses to have south facing roofs so that solar panels could be inserted on them.
Yes, I like the layout and how it's being integrated with existing buildings.

But those green panels - they are hurrendous. The association with the green tiling on the Wheatsheaf is at best tenuous and I suspect that this style has been adopted to try and reduce the overall blandness of the brick and lack of detailing on the facades.

The Sunderland Road development by Miller Homes also looks very bland. I find that the design is very two dimensional. If the facade was a blank wall with a poster painted with doors, windows and eaves, you'd struggle to see the difference between that and one of the other houses that has real door and windows.

I know that housing in the 70s and 80's wasn't the most attractive for design, but its was certainly better than a lot of the schemes that have been built after 2000, which is coincidentally post PPG3 with more urban standards for density, parking and so on. Most developers have treated this more urban approach with a tick-box mentality.

St James Village is perhaps a very good example of a nightmare development that managed to escape the urban designer's eye during the planning process. The design is a huge misapproriation of the masterplan it was supposed to be based on. Much of it is gated in by railings. Suburban detached housing is hemmed in between urban flats and people are lucky to see a few random patches of landscaping on land that isn't used for parking.

#8 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling - ongoing New social housing development as at 29/06/12

Following my previous post #636 of 25/04/12 here are some further update photographs taken by myself 29/06/12 AM of this project (hosted on Photobucket)

and view across railway tracks

Would imagine works would have suffered flooding as the adjacent Carlisle Street road was damaged by the rushing water of 28/06/12 afternoon deluge - first picture showing Gateshead Council staff attending to road surface

KEN

#9 ·
Carlisle Street , Felling ( including John Hodgson Close) - New social housing development as at 03/08/12

Following my previous post #681 of 29/06/12 here are some further photographs taken by myself 03/08/12 approx 0900 of this project that is nearing completion (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#10 ·
Very interesting Ken.

I'm not qualified to comment on the architectural merits of the scheme but anything has to be an improvement on what was there, and a boost to the area. I will await developments with interest.

Dave
The images convey a fresh and contemporary architectural theme. If this is realised and if the layout design is responsive then it should be a very positive thing.

I just hope that it is not a repeat of the recent GT scheme in Felling. Green Trespa type green panels, trying pathetically to reflect the attractive ceramic tile frontage of the Wheatsheaf, has in my view turned a very mediocre development into an eyesore development which will date very quickly. Its also an insult to The Wheatsheaf with its fine frontage. (Does a mean pint of Big Lamp BTW!!:cheers:)

Trespa is the cladding of Satan and Tesco, Gateshead exhibits this stuff doing it's worst to an over-monolithic structure.

#11 ·
Carlisle St new gouses & the Wheatsheaf Pub, Felling - green and white panels

The images convey a fresh and contemporary architectural theme. If this is realised and if the layout design is responsive then it should be a very positive thing.

I just hope that it is not a repeat of the recent GT scheme in Felling. Green Trespa type green panels, trying pathetically to reflect the attractive ceramic tile frontage of the Wheatsheaf, has in my view turned a very mediocre development into an eyesore development which will date very quickly.
Go to post 719 to see my pictures of completed development on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=980936&page=36

And these pictures of mine from post #636 showing the Wheatsheaf and the panels during construction process

KEN

#14 ·
Carlisle Street, Felling (including John Hodgson Close) - New social housing development as at 22/11/13

Following my previous post # 9 of August 2012 (nearing completion) here are some further photographs taken by myself 22/11/13 AM of this now complete project (hosted on Photobucket)

Red Box will design the houses, Galliford Try will build them and they will be managed by HOME."

From Planning Portal:-

DC/11/00058/FUL

Erection of 14 x 2- and 3-storey terraced and semi-detached dwellinghouses and 11 apartments in 1 x 2-3 storey block (use class C3) with provision of new access, open space and landscaping and change of use of existing highway to residential development (additional info received 17/02/11).

Land At Carlisle Street Felling NE10 0HQ

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LF5WZIHK06A00

AND

DC/11/00071/FUL

Erection of 4 x 2 bedroomed elderly apartments (use class C3) within one 2-storey block including access, car parking, open space and landscaping (amended 09/02/11 and additional info received 11/02/11 and 17/02/11).

Site Of 18-24 Carlisle Street Felling NE10 0HQ

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=LFISF0HK06A00

KEN

#16 ·
Carlisle Street (including John Hodgson Close), Felling, social housing development - new Google Maps images of the development

Google Maps have in recent days updated their aerial view images (however still a few months old) now including 3D facility over a wider area of the region (including east of Gateshead area).

Here are some screen prints to show "3D image" showing the Carlisle Street, (including John Hodgson Close) development, Felling

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.