daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #81
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
That's one of the renders hitachi did for their new AT trains. I hadn't realised that the contract had been awarded to them yet
The contract has been awarded. The initial render was just a quick colour change of a four car unit, but the ones we will be getting will have plug doors closer to the ends, and connecting gangways. Basically like the 380s, but with proper walkthrough carriages between the gangways.

More like this:

I look forward to seeing how all the stock is moved around. Class 170s freed up by EGIP (and the HSTs coming north) will find homes on lines currently used by 156s (As a daily user of the Glasgow South Western line, I welcome this news), while some Glasgow suburban EMUs will be cascaded on to other lines, which may free up any 314/318/320 units for transfer to elsewhere in the country (Northern Hub?).

Sort of feel sorry for Northern England always getting our second hand bangers, but I'm sure they'll be grateful to bin all their pacers when the 156 sprinters become available! And as much as I'd hate to see my beloved 314s go, I fear that they may be gone soon, only to be replaced by the much less pleasing 318/320 units.

Last edited by Kolothos; October 10th, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #82
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 669

That's quite disappointing - from a purely aesthetic point of view, those trains are substantially uglier than the non-gangway version.

Shame! (But I understand that the decision has to be made on practical grounds, not aesthetic)
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #83
legslikeaspider

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David View Post
That's quite disappointing - from a purely aesthetic point of view, those trains are substantially uglier than the non-gangway version.

Shame! (But I understand that the decision has to be made on practical grounds, not aesthetic)
Its no shinkansen is it? There aren't going to many train nerds cracking one off to hardcore shots of these ladies. I was quite excited by the non-ugly version, but unless they are going to have 8 -car sets they need the flexibility of having the door in the nose of the train, dont they? I actually think the 380's look pretty good with it, like a bull terrier. This hitachi one, not so much.

NorthLimitation liked this post
legslikeaspider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #84
legslikeaspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
Sort of feel sorry for Northern England always getting our second hand bangers, but I'm sure they'll be grateful to bin all their pacers when the 156 sprinters become available! And as much as I'd hate to see my beloved 314s go, I fear that they may be gone soon, only to be replaced by the much less pleasing 318/320 units.
Gawd, things must be dire if a class 156 is an improvement on the usual rolling stock. They might get a few 158s though, which are a bit better though still suffer from having the doors at the ends of the carriage.

I had the pleasure of riding in a 314 again recently. So smooth and quiet. Amazing job the local engineers have done to keep these units running for well over 30 years. Can you imagine a car or a bus being in such great nick after that length of time and after such heavy use?
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #85
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Modern British EMUs have always had that very functional look about them. Not always aesthetically pleasing, but something quite purposeful and efficient about them.

The 314s are a dream. Rail franchises these days don't seem too keen on introducing similar Metro style stock on to more inner city lines. I'd love to get something a bit more akin to the London Underground's S Stock for use on some of Glasgow's more heavily used and more frequent stopping routes. The need for new 20m length EMUs on the LL lines will hopefully get us something a bit more suitable in the future.
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #86
The Boy David

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider View Post
Its no shinkansen is it? There aren't going to many train nerds cracking one off to hardcore shots of these ladies.
exquisitely put.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #87
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider View Post
Gawd, things must be dire if a class 156 is an improvement on the usual rolling stock.
Have you ever been on a 142?

156s are paradise by comparison.

319s that have been worked hard and put away wet by Thameslink are the current "saviours" of the local network compared to the curse of the Pacer.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #88
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolothos View Post
The 314s are a dream. Rail franchises these days don't seem too keen on introducing similar Metro style stock on to more inner city lines. I'd love to get something a bit more akin to the London Underground's S Stock for use on some of Glasgow's more heavily used and more frequent stopping routes. The need for new 20m length EMUs on the LL lines will hopefully get us something a bit more suitable in the future.
Have you seen the 378s on London Overground? I think that's what modern inner-city stock looks like.

sds liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #89
The Boy David

Those 378s should have 3 doors on each side though. Can't be properly inner city with only 2 doors a piece!
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #90
1M14

Likes (Received): 506

The Crossrail 345s will have three double doors per side, as did the original PEP stock intermediate carriages. The S-Stock have three doors per 15m carriage as well. It's all just a balance of whether the increased capacity is justified by the other trade-offs it would bring. The 345s will spend their entire working lives on Crossrail 1 because there is nowhere else that could deal with them and the very specific way they integrate with the tunnel infrastructure, so there's no problem making them have a custom design. On the other hand, the 378s theoretically are just standard Bombardier Electrostar stock that would be able to work anywhere in the country on almost any route due to their short length and dual-voltage facility.
1M14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #91
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

I was more on about how the interior is in terms of seat layout, but yes, those Bombardier units look rather good.

Hopefully we can at least get something akin to the Class 376 (from which the overground trains are derived). Two slide doors per car, 20m carriages, designed with standing passengers and low dwell times (absolutely crucial for LL and Cathcart Circle services).

The EK line is in serious need of better trains. You have to wait probably over two minutes in dwell time per station due to the need for train guards to unlock the doors, lack of standing space, and other passengers being reluctant to move further into the train (which is kind of understandable when there's nothing to hold on to). They're also limited to 6 cars, which really isn't enough in the morning. The sooner it's electrified the better!

Last edited by Kolothos; November 5th, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #92
Kenspeckle

Likes (Received): 3177

Firms given £250m Edinburgh-Glasgow rail contract

The Scotsman - 5th November, 2014

Quote:
One of the biggest contracts to electrify the main Edinburgh-Glasgow rail line was awarded today to Costain and Morgan Sindall by Network Rail.

The £250 million deal is for installing overhead electric wires over the 45-mile line, lengthening station platforms to take longer trains, and track improvements.

The contract, which is part of the £742m Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Programme (Egip) to electrify the route by the end of 2016, is itself almost as big as that for construction of the entire Borders Railway scheme.

The work will also involve closing Winchburgh tunnel in West Lothian for six weeks to make space for the electric wires.

Piling work for the foundations of the gantries which will support the electric wires started this week and will continue until next summer.

Dutch firm Abellio, which takes over the ScotRail franchise next year, has said brand-new electric trains will start running on the line at the end of 2017.

However, the planned journey time cut from the current 50 minutes to 42 minutes will not happen until the end of 2018, as The Scotsman revealed last year.

Longer trains - eight carriages rather than the current six-carriage maximum - will also not run until then.

This followed Egip’s budget being cut by £350m in 2012 to save money, when more frequent trains and a planned 37-minute journey time were shelved.

Separate contracts will involve a major upgrade of Queen Street station in Glasgow to accommodate the longer trains and link to an extension of the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre - which will not now be finished until March 2019.

Today’s deal follows the firms winning “alliancing” contracts in January to develop detailed plans for Egip.

Costain has also won a £75m Egip contract for route clearance work.

Its other rail work included helping to build the Channel Tunnel Rail Link and the subsequent transformation of St Pancras station into its new London terminus.

Morgan Sindall’s work in Scotland has included on the M74 extension in Glasgow.

Transport Minister Keith Brown said today: “This £250 million contract marks a significant milestone in the Egip project.

“It will provide 20 per cent quicker journey times, 30 per cent more capacity and a complete overhaul of stations in both cities, with the new-look Haymarket station already completed on time and under budget and the planned transformation of Queen Street station into a 21st century transport hub.”

Rodger Querns, Network Rail programme director for Egip, added: “Egip is transformational in its scope and scale, and will herald a step-change in the nature of our railway infrastructure, its resilience and reliability.”
Kenspeckle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #93
Gap74

Likes (Received): 330

Scotsman transport correspondent Alastair Dalton is Tweeting that the first year of electrified operation on EGIP will be covered by 380s until the Hitachi order is complete. The 321s will cover the routes currently operated by 380s.

https://twitter.com/AlastairDalton/s...77964030181376

https://twitter.com/AlastairDalton/s...79416135999488
Gap74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #94
The Boy David

I was on a 380 for the first time last night and hated it! Quite dark inside, sparse, loud, and nowhere near as comfortable as the 170 Turbostars on the Gla-Edi mainline. I was shocked!
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #95
legslikeaspider

Horses for courses, I suppose. The 170's seem to be set up for an intercity type service, with big chairs, proper tables and big luggage racks. You can get a good snooze on one of those on the way home from Edinburgh of an evening.

The one time I was in a 380 (didn't find it dark) it seemed to be set up more for suburban, high freq running. Wide aisles, less comfy seats, mini-tables, loads of room at the the vestibules. I got the impression that snoozing would have been a more challenging task. I hope the hitachi trains are more like the 170's.
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #96
Gap74

Likes (Received): 330

Used 380s a few times on the Central to Waverley via Carstairs route, which is generally pleasingly quiet compared to the Queen Street line.

I don't mind them - nice big windows, always a pleasure when you spend too much time on Pendolinos, and a decent provision of sockets.
Gap74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #97
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

I last used the 380s on the Ayrshire Coast Line between Central & Ayr & return in September. Quite possibly the quietest & smoothest trains I've ever used.
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #98
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

Have only been on a 380 twice, from Waverley to N Berwick and back, and I found them pretty smooth, quiet and comfortable.

I find the noise and vibration from the engines on the 170s makes them less than ideal for longer journeys.
Chris99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #99
The Boy David

Looks like it's just me then! I hated how the lighting came from an ugly single strip that ran down the middle. Much colder light than in the 170s.

That said, I do realise that they are set up for different functions. But I do hope the new Hitachi's are more like the 170s than the 380s.
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #100
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

I really didn't mind the 380s, but bear in mind my usual rail experience is short suburban trips to Central or Cathcart, typically on a 314 or a 156. Hopefully Abellio's proposed ''intercity'' network will have particular standards for rolling stock which the Hitachi units will adhere too.

The HSTs taking over other lines when the IEPs come in down south will really improve things for the northern dwellers.