daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Ľ Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #321
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Those brown apartment complexes are mostly middle-class co-ops that house some of the last major middle class populations in Manhattan. Their design is from the tower in the park era, and they make the most of the greenery around them. I fully support no more tall buildings like this one in this area. This tower is completely out of place and shite mediocrity for the sake of Dubai-ish showmanship. It's a horrific piece of development in the city, and the tiny 13 story building that was constructed to accommodate the affordable housing portion is almost a complete slap in the face to the right to housing.

okay, that's a perverse way of looking at what is generally a reviled architectural/urban design movement
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #322
Rufus

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
How is it a slap in the face to the right to housing? Is affordable housing expected to be high design now?
Many incredibly hard working, tax paying New Yorkers I know had the right to get the F out of Manhattan and live in Bushwick or Queens because they can't afford to live in the city. They're not poor enough to have the right to live in a desirable neighborhood.
So only the wealthy are allowed to live in Manhattan or in well-designed and attractive buildings? Some of these people lived in the neighborhood before it became "desirable" and are now being pushed out because of greed and gauche. Manhattan shouldn't be a gated community, and to write off this development as providing affordable housing in the form of a cheap looking 13 story tower next to an obscene level of design is tone-deaf.

And the tower in the park era isn't entirely reviled. It provided the opportunity to have green space, which is equally important to a resident, especially in New York.
Rufus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #323
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
So only the wealthy are allowed to live in Manhattan or in well-designed and attractive buildings? Some of these people lived in the neighborhood before it became "desirable" and are now being pushed out because of greed and gauche. Manhattan shouldn't be a gated community, and to write off this development as providing affordable housing in the form of a cheap looking 13 story tower next to an obscene level of design is tone-deaf.

And the tower in the park era isn't entirely reviled. It provided the opportunity to have green space, which is equally important to a resident, especially in New York.
Right but the reason why Manhattan is turning into a gated community and why these people are being pushed out is because those same exact people are refusing new housing to be built in their neighborhood.

You canít have it both ways, block New housing from being built and complain about prices. Itís supply and demand. This isnít complicated stuff.

Troopchina liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM   #324
fashionking

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Those brown apartment complexes are mostly middle-class co-ops that house some of the last major middle class populations in Manhattan. Their design is from the tower in the park era, and they make the most of the greenery around them. I fully support no more tall buildings like this one in this area. This tower is completely out of place and shite mediocrity for the sake of Dubai-ish showmanship. It's a horrific piece of development in the city, and the tiny 13 story building that was constructed to accommodate the affordable housing portion is almost a complete slap in the face to the right to housing.
Sorry we have different views.. I am thinking maybe 50-100 years into the future..the entire island of Manhattan will look like Midtown.. the brown apartment complexes will not stand the testament of time.. the land will become to valuable to only be suitable for the low-rise buildings that are there now; there is to much value in the air above them...I think now we are seeing that some developments now have some form of an affordable housing option.. but wealth will prevail on the island of Manhattan.. it has nothing to do with what you think is morally right..
fashionking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:42 AM   #325
fashionking

Likes (Received): 29

Also- I am kind of sick when people say something like the middle class has to stay on the island of Manhattan or they are entitled too.. or it is the last strong-hold of the middle class in Manhattan.. um.. do you realize at some point of time or I guess when New York City politics decided that it was in their best interests to have a very diverse Manhattan and allow people to live in Manhattan from all income levels...that your taxes pay for this... the government put an incentive out there.. and the developers take advantage of it, because well it takes away property taxes for a certain period of time or lowers their tax bill in some capacity.. but you do realize if the government does this.. it has to make up for what could have been collected...so they have to find a way to raise taxes somewhere else.. that is why when you think morally sometimes.. it isn't always the smartest... is there a middle class in Bel-Air? Beverly Hills? San Francisco? the one thing I question is if some of these apartment buildings/complexes want to allow the middle class to live in the same building where lets say I own a penthouse at the top... but they somehow can enjoy the same luxuries as myself, but I actually paid the premium.. ha..how does that make any sense?... I actually think it lowers the value of the building overall and I don't think that is necessarily good for investment.. and honestly doesn't a lottery decide who actually moves into these more affordable housing options anyways.. they probably get thousands of applications for a small sect of apartments... like your vate is dependent on if you are chosen anyways.. lol..
fashionking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:59 AM   #326
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

I suppose it's something uniquely American. Here I've never met middle class who doesn't want to own a house.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #327
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25223

@bennycchan

@chief770
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #328
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 6920

26 November 2017

Manhattan Bridge (20171126-DSC03889-Edit) by Michael Lee on Flickr

Be4Guate, Eddie55, gaab1972 liked this post
Luca9A8M está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #329
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionking View Post
Sorry we have different views.. I am thinking maybe 50-100 years into the future..the entire island of Manhattan will look like Midtown.. the brown apartment complexes will not stand the testament of time.. the land will become to valuable to only be suitable for the low-rise buildings that are there now; there is to much value in the air above them...I think now we are seeing that some developments now have some form of an affordable housing option.. but wealth will prevail on the island of Manhattan.. it has nothing to do with what you think is morally right..
You cannot build a skyscraper anywhere you like though. There's a reason why there is a gap between Midtown and Downtown its because there isn't sufficient bedrock beneath .
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #330
droneriot
Urban Hermit

That's a really old urban myth that's long been discredited. Hang around the forums a bit and take a look at supertalls around the world, you'll find out about friction piles and that bedrock is not a necessity in any way for building skyscrapers.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #331
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

I always found this boxy glass tower with cheap-looking checkered bumps to detract from the beauty of the Manhattan Bridge. Even 375 Pearl Street looks better in relation to the Brooklyn Bridge.

The area should be redeveloped taller and better, but this isn't a great start for as I said.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #332
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
That's a really old urban myth that's long been discredited. Hang around the forums a bit and take a look at supertalls around the world, you'll find out about friction piles and that bedrock is not a necessity in any way for building skyscrapers.
but zoning laws, community boards, and landmarks preservation do exist and will never allow such a terrible thing to happen. hopefully.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #333
droneriot
Urban Hermit

I think even more so traffic does exist, unless someone invents a Star Trek transporter imagine cramming twice or three times the current population onto the island, your daily commute half a mile down the street will take eight hours each way.
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #334
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

Such a terrible building.

mike1115, cincobarrio liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 05:01 PM   #335
streetscapeer
hmmm......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quiet_...rkcityskyline/

@bklyn_block

Munwon, Luca9A8M, Eddie55, sgollis, gaab1972 and 1 others liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 10:01 PM   #336
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6529

I really like this one!
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #337
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 6920

26 November 2017

One Manhattan Square by NyConstructionPhoto, su Flickr

Momosty, Eddie55, sgollis, Munwon, gaab1972 and 1 others liked this post
Luca9A8M está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #338
streetscapeer
hmmm......

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/12/13/167...menities-views
Old December 13th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #339
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Such a terrible building.
Not only that but now it totally ruins the view of the Manhattan Bridge .

FrancoJR, SMCYB liked this post
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM   #340
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestas Gailius View Post
Not only that but now it totally ruins the view of the Manhattan Bridge .

the commie blocks in the background don't ruin the view of the bridge??
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
227 cherry street, 252 south street, one manhattan square