daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #201
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Definately! Just a few more gaps (namely on the southern branch and scattered portions of the extreme eastern main branch) need to be plugged and it will be truly perfect.

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #202
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

I think once the river walk is bumping and those three bad boys are near completion on the river someone big will want his ego in on the action and is going to hire N.Foster to build THE farging master piece on Wolf Point within five years EVEN if the market turns somewhat sour. Just my gut.

Last edited by nomarandlee; August 6th, 2006 at 08:47 AM. Reason: .
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #203
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

There's still the lot next to NBC, and all the towers that line the river in Lakeshore East. But yeah, the main branch is getting close to being complete, so it should be an awesome site for visitors doing boat tours or using the river walk.

Last edited by spyguy; August 6th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #204
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Does anyone have any renderings with 300 Lasalle in the skyline as it will be in say 2010....ie w/ WV, TTH, hopefull Calatrava, Leagcy etc...

Will it be visible from the classic skyline east angle??
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #205
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 25, 2006

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #206
Retrograde
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman
Does anyone have any renderings with 300 Lasalle in the skyline as it will be in say 2010....ie w/ WV, TTH, hopefull Calatrava, Leagcy etc...

Will it be visible from the classic skyline east angle??
Check out STR's incredible renderings: CHICAGO: 2010 future vision 3D model

Last edited by Retrograde; August 29th, 2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #207
Retrograde
Chicago

September 14, 2006

Old September 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #208
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I work for Kirkland and Ellis, and I can definitely understand why we're upgrading to 300 N. LaSalle. Although the office space at the Aon Center is fairly modern, our offices sprawl from the 48th to the 75th floor, with a few floors excluded. 300 N. LaSalle will provide us with the opportunity to consolidate our office space and ameliorate the security issues that exist at the Aon Center.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #209
Retrograde
Chicago

September 25, 2006

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #210
Retrograde
Chicago

October 13, 2006

Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM   #211
spyguy
Expert

The next Friends of Downtown Brown Bag presentation
Thursday, November 2nd at 12.15
Chicago Cultural Center
Millennium Park Room, 5th floor southeast

300 North LaSalle

Representatives from Hines Interests will present plans for a 60-story office tower on a prominent site on the Chicago River, at LaSalle Street. The lower 24 floors of the 1.3 million square foot offer tower have been leased to law firm Kirkland & Ellis. The tower will be a prominent addition to the Chicago skyline and will feature a riverfront plaza and waterfront café. The developer will discuss the building’s design, public space, leasing, development process and unique environmental features.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #212
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1070

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...59&TM=50140.58

Rising on the river
Glassy office highrise joins Trump, Calatrava blueprints for waterfront rebirth

By YOLANDA PERDOMO, Staff Writer

The Chicago skyline is getting another glassy highrise, with plans for a 60-story, 1.3 million square foot office building at 300 N. LaSalle. At last Thursday's Friends of Downtown meeting at the Chicago Cultural Center, Jim Walsh, project manager for the Hines Real Estate firm handling the project, said the the unique architecture of the skyscraper immediately stands out from the others along the banks of the Chicago River. The main or "anchor" tenant in the sixty story structure is the law firm of Kirkland and Ellis; the building is designed by the firm Pickard Chilton of New Haven Connecticut.

Renderings of a proposed building at 300 N. LaSalle. Left, river view detail.
Images courtesy of Hires Real Estate

"The way that the building culminates at the top of the building, the flying buttresses, the stainless steel curtain wall, creates an envelope of a curtain of something that I haven't seen in downtown Chicago before," Walsh said. "I think the riverfront plaza and the use of that public space along the river will be very special. We're creating an outdoor public space with a two level area that people will enjoy."

Walsh also added that the architecture takes into consideration its place along the river.

"The building complements its surroundings. I think the architect achieved that by basically working with the river level and creating that space that invites you into the open lobby area," Walsh said. "It becomes very visual from the inside space as you look out on the river."

According to Walsh, the building also has a gold LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. A LEED rating (which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is based on several factors highlighting the use of environmental friendly elements inside and outside the building. One example is the roof, which is slated to be 80 percent green.

Carolyn Kessler, who attended the meeting as an interested observer, said the LEED rating is an important one.

"I think that it's unusual that a building has a LEED gold certification. That's interesting for me to hear about what they've done to earn that," Kessler said. "It's also interesting that it's on the river. It's a protected view; you know that no one is going to build a building in front of you."

Butler Adams, who gives river tours for Chicago Line Cruises, also endorsed the project, saying it would add to the city's architectural landscape. Adams gives river tours for Chicago Line Cruises. He says that another building wouldn't congest the downtown area.

"I'm all for height. We probably have the world's best man made canyon on the river," Adams said. "It seems like the style of architecture happening right now has kind of improved over the last few years. It's a different kind of modernism going on right now. A lot of other buildings are forty and fifty stories tall. This one's going to be sixty stories and looking up at that along the Chicago River would be something spectacular."

Adams, a lifelong Chicagoan who studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology, says he never gets tired of seeing downtown and its architectural offerings, adding that he is awaiting the completion of the LaSalle Street project, along with the under-construction Trump Towers and the proposed Fordham Spire designed by Santiago Calatrava.

"I think people should be concerned about the design of the building than how many stories," Adams said. "It's just a sight to see not only for tourists but for people who live here. Every time I come downtown, I'm still amazed."
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #213
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

If they put a pencil thin spire in the middle it could be like NY Times Tower sister building. Not that I'm advocating that but I just noticed the similarity. Anyone else notice this?
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #214
spyguy
Expert

Well the NYT Tower has all of those rods on the facade as well.
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #215
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1070

11/12/06

View of the core excavation as seen from LaSalle Street - 2006-11-12

Filming of a sceene of NBC's ER on the site of 300 North LaSalle, with the structure on the left a prop - 2006-11-12
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #216
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

From saturday

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #217
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

I wonder with this building and 353 clark, are we seeing a burgeoning office market in river north. In reality these are two rather large office buildings in many cities these two would be among if not the largest building in that city

are 300 Lasalle and 353 clark harbingers of office spillover from the loop into river norht.....and related to a thread in the general chicago forum.....is this indicative of a melding of the loop and river north...hence a modification of what may be accurately construed as DT chicago
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #218
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
I wonder with this building and 353 clark, are we seeing a burgeoning office market in river north. In reality these are two rather large office buildings in many cities these two would be among if not the largest building in that city

are 300 Lasalle and 353 clark harbingers of office spillover from the loop into river norht.....and related to a thread in the general chicago forum.....is this indicative of a melding of the loop and river north...hence a modification of what may be accurately construed as DT chicago
that is blasphemy
maybe true, i would accept it under that definition, if there is a significant shift of that area to being more of a cbd. then i would/will concede.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #219
spyguy
Expert

Great update from yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
December 7, 2006

Old December 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #220
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
that is blasphemy
maybe true, i would accept it under that definition, if there is a significant shift of that area to being more of a cbd. then i would/will concede.
Isn't the CBD traditionally considered DT?
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote