daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #41
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Given the amount of floors, I would say this could be similar in height to 432 Park (89 floors)
A new 400m tower would. Be great for the skyline of chicago.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #42
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Given the amount of floors, I would say this could be similar in height to 432 Park (89 floors)
Yup, I agree
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #43
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I think this building will be over 400 meters height and not less.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #44
af87

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2769834.story

This article has some more interesting tidbits.

Quote:
A partner on the project was not identified, but much of the land involved is owned by a consortium led by BDT Capital Partners, which acquired 1.5 acres bordered by Hubbard Street, Illinois Street, Rush Street and Wabash as part of its $33 million purchase of the Wrigley Building in September 2011 from Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. That parcel, which includes a parking lot and the shuttered Lakeshore Athletic Club building, is included in a map of the proposed project that was shown during the Realtors' meeting.
Byron Trott, the CEO, founder, and chairman of BDT is a secretive billionaire (is there any other kind?) who is closely affiliated with Hyatt Hotels (he's on their Board). Along with someone with the last name of Pritzker. Sounds familiar, I wonder if there's a Chicago connection....

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.89046...13937&t=h&z=17

Here's an overhead view of the NAR building and the block to the west, which is shockingly underdeveloped (more than half of it is a surface lot). My completely uneducated speculation (based on other developments) is that the space currently occupied by the NAR building will house retail and parts of the hotel (with entrances to the office/residential components), which will be somehow connected to the main structure/high-rise situated west of Rush. They may even build over it. It seems to me this is part of some backroom dealing between this $3 billion capital group and the NAR, which has a prime Michigan Avenue address that they want for their development.

Street view of the Rush-Wabash-Hubbard-Illinois parcel with the shuttered Lakeshore Athletic Club. I can't believe this is just one block west of Michigan Ave.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.89009...7.33,,0,-13.72

Same intersection, view of rear of NAR building

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.89009...36.45,,0,-16.7

Interesting, and even though we don't know much, this already seems much more credible than the old post office redevelopment plan. And it's directly north of Trump, only a block away. It could be really tall, especially if it has parking and retail on the lower floors, hotel-amenity floors, and office space.

EDIT

http://www.gpchicago.com/users/news_...497&NewsID=126

BDT was the principal buyer of the Wrigley Building back in 2011, and the 1.5 acres west of Rush that are supposedly part of this development were a part of this deal. Goettsch Partners is the firm that's responsible for Wrigley's $70 million renovation.

http://www.gpchicago.com/users/news_...497&NewsID=126

They also have a fair number of high-rises here in Chicago and abroad, as well as several Hyatt hotel developments. Of particular note is this 91-story mixed-use supertall scheduled for completion in 2015, in Tianjin, China.

http://www.gpchicago.com/users/folde...bCat=high-rise
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=538204

From what I gather, this project, at 91-floors (four underground) is 1,260 to the roof with an architectural top of 1,535. If you were at all curious what a 93-story mixed-use tower at this site would look like or how tall it could be, I think the R&F Guandong is a good yardstick, because I have a feeling that Goettsch could be the firm that is tasked with the design, given their relationship with BDT and Hyatt. I think we're looking at easily 400m to the roof....

Last edited by af87; November 19th, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: ADD
af87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #45
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Can someone use sketchup and place a rough massing model in some Google Earth map of Chicago so we can see the relationship of this building's proposed size to the buildings around it.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #46
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Things get complicated from here:

Alderman Reilly: "Nobody Told Me About The Realtors Building"

"93 stories?" Benito Juarez is not impressed.

Quote:
The Billy Goat Tavern and Benito Juárez can rest easy, at least for a while. According to 42nd ward alderman Brendan Reilly, the bulldozers won't be coming anytime soon to the National Association of Realtors Building just north of the Wrigley Building on.Michigan Avenue.

“As far as I'm concerned, the project that was described in the paper last week is not real. I have not reviewed any materials related to massing, design, traffic - any of it. In fact the first I heard about a Realtor Building demolition was when I read about it in the newspapers. So if the local alderman's not aware of all these grand plans, it isn't real. Unfortunately, when leaks like that occur, it scares a lot of people, [Billy Goat owner] Sam Sianis down in the base - a lot of people care about the Plaza of the Americas, especially me, because I'm the one who compelled the Realtors to repair it on their dime.”

Reilly, responding last night to a Chicago Tribune article last week on the Realtors plans for a one-to-two million square foot tower on their site, clarified the situation with the Avenue of Americas plaza, anchored by the statue of Benito Juárez, that separates the Realtors building from the Wrigley annex.

“It's not for them to tear down. Those are all city easements under there. And by the way, I would never let them take away the Plaza of the Americas. It's a very important plaza to a lot of people in Chicago. So whatever plans they want to develop, I'm all ears, but they have not come in to share with me .”

“They have a lot of work to do before they can come in and see me, pitch me on a proposal, but whatever they come up with, whether it involves taking that building down or not, it's going to be subject to a very rigorous public process, and it will be open to the public. This will be a very deliberative process, so nothing's going to get done in the middle of night over there. ”

[...]

Your magical dreams of implosions can come true, just kiss the Alderman's ring first...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #47
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

Uggghh, Chicago's aldermen suck. They are always ruining shit.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:35 AM   #48
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Reilly is an arrogant, power hungry jackass that doesnt allow any plans to proceed unless developers essentially suck his dick. Its unfortunate that this imbecile has so much power.

nomarandlee, bozenBDJ, Kanto liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:58 AM   #49
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Aleluia! Finally some good news for Chicago. Honestly, I was bored with these poor high rises proposed in the city. Despite this latest news, I hope something good comes out.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:50 AM   #50
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

I'm glad to see a supertall for Chicago. Hopefully they will be able to tear down that old piece of shit as planned and build a huge tower! Also, since its the National Association of Realtors, I am surprised they are not building a giant McMansion, since they fanatically promote them over every other type of development.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #51
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
I'm glad to see a supertall for Chicago. Hopefully they will be able to tear down that old piece of shit as planned and build a huge tower! Also, since its the National Association of Realtors, I am surprised they are not building a giant McMansion, since they fanatically promote them over every other type of development.
Don't say that too loudly or Lucien LaGrange will come out of retirement and design a 93 story McMansion for these guys!

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 01:14 AM   #52
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

So I'm guessing this would be classified as a stale proposal?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 01:42 AM   #53
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I hope not :p
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:00 AM   #54
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
So I'm guessing this would be classified as a stale proposal?
It's DEAD
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 04:04 AM   #55
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It's DEAD
is it?
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:19 AM   #56
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
is it?
Yes completely.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:35 PM   #57
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28191

that is unfortunate.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:38 PM   #58
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

The Realtor Tower! I forgot about this!
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM   #59
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Man Chicago really is lagging when it comes to skyscraper construction in comparison to the rest of the country... aside from one supertall and a few other highrises there's not really a whole lot going on.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 09:10 PM   #60
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Its quite a shame too. Chicago has always been the most balanced skyline for me. Its a shame to think that it might lag behind other North American skylines in the coming years. If you ask me, Id say that Toronto is giving it quite a run for its money!

filcan liked this post
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
430 n. michigan, chicago, nar tower, realtors