daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

MISC | Axonis, Alstom's new off-the-shelf light metro system

Last Spring Alstom launched an off-the-shelf "low-cost" light rail metro, called Axonis

It comprises an interface built for CBTC-only operation, and the application of a system of concrete modular viaducts to speed up installation

Acoording to Alstom, its specs are 6% grade and 45m curve radii. It also has some state-of-the-art regenerative braking system.

Source: Alstom (link above)

Here, a video:

So... what do you think of this new product? It is just a fancy rebranding or does it have potential to attract a lot of costumers interested in fast light rail construction?

aleksandar_s, mrsmartman liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
billiam

Likes (Received): 13

nice concept, I do like the idea of prefabrication especially as cost saving s form that may allow a city without a metro to build a network in one phase rather than in many phases.
However I do wonder if it is realistic to buy a metro system of the peg like this when the layout of each city is so unique. I know in my own home city you'd be hard pressed to find many roads like the ones shown in the video and we had plenty of issues when we tried to but in a off the shelf signaling system for our metro system.
billiam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam View Post
nice concept, I do like the idea of prefabrication especially as cost saving s form that may allow a city without a metro to build a network in one phase rather than in many phases.
However I do wonder if it is realistic to buy a metro system of the peg like this when the layout of each city is so unique. I know in my own home city you'd be hard pressed to find many roads like the ones shown in the video and we had plenty of issues when we tried to but in a off the shelf signaling system for our metro system.
Alstom's appeal is that is delivers the whole solution: construction, signaling, rolling stock and offers all that for a single turn-key price. I'm not sure how much of that is bloating, how much of that is a serious proposition.
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40723

A very nice alternative to a monorail system.
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #5
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Alternative yes but not as functional. Monorails are generally the width of a standard Metro car of 3 meters which these seem to be more LRT width. These also require the frames and then the tracks added on top while monorails simply put in one beam per direction which also acts as the tracks. These would require more time to build due to this as monorails are basically built elsewhere and then just assembled on site while these require actually laying of tracks.

Also due to the tracks being wider than the cars themselves {like all systems except monorail}, the shadow effect on the street is MUCH larger. I really don't see anything here that is particularly novel and just seems like a rehash of the Vancouver SkyTrain.

Falubaz, Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Thank you for posting! The usual system for assembling bridges is to use a launching gantry to support short bridge segments until a system of internal tendons can be installed that compress the segments together to make them behave structurally as a beam that spans between the pillars.

The Alstom system features narrower prefabricated segments that are the full length of the span between the pillars, so the initial phase of the fabrication process is similar to the installation of a monorail beam. It seems remarkable that this process hasn't already been adopted as standard practice.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Alternative yes but not as functional. Monorails are generally the width of a standard Metro car of 3 meters which these seem to be more LRT width. These also require the frames and then the tracks added on top while monorails simply put in one beam per direction which also acts as the tracks. These would require more time to build due to this as monorails are basically built elsewhere and then just assembled on site while these require actually laying of tracks.

Also due to the tracks being wider than the cars themselves {like all systems except monorail}, the shadow effect on the street is MUCH larger. I really don't see anything here that is particularly novel and just seems like a rehash of the Vancouver SkyTrain.
So why do you think there are barely any monorail systems? The few serious monorail systems I know are built in locations where other features like the ability of coping with steep grades matter.
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
So why do you think there are barely any monorail systems? The few serious monorail systems I know are built in locations where other features like the ability of coping with steep grades matter.
I think the major reason monorails are not that popular as they could is due to the fact they are proprietary technologies without a standardization for guideways. Each manufacturer has its own specs, and it locks you in with that vendor.

The Anoxis would avoid that as it uses regular UIC tracks.

Swede liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
saiho

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:

The shadow effect is much less of a worry with conventional railway viaducts today. With newer technologies allowing for more slender columns and decks to be built. Based on the video, what is novel is integration of design in the entire system. Which allows and creates techniques for increased speed of construction. Advantages in cost and construction speed commonly touted for monorails and other proprietary light metros is partly the result of integrated planning and design. Which you have to do because they are so different and proprietary, everything is designed for that system. I would not say its a monorail-killer but it would certainly make people think twice about going monorail or Bombarider ART.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

This is interesting stuff.........and I take it that this could be a popular option for developing countries/emerging markets that want to seek financing from French Government ODA infrastructure funding.

Questions though:
1) What are the ideal passenger capacities for something like this?

2) Who are the usual competitors for this? I'm guessing it would be similar light-to-medium rail vehicles like the Mitsubishi Crystal Mover(?)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
saiho

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

1) What are the ideal passenger capacities for something like this?
Vid says 10,000 to 45,000 PPHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
2) Who are the usual competitors for this? I'm guessing it would be similar light-to-medium rail vehicles like the Mitsubishi Crystal Mover(?)
more like light metro systems as opposed to more specialized AGT systems. Possible competitors is "heavy" monorail tech, INNOVA ART, and the higher capcity VAL designs.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #12
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think the major reason monorails are not that popular as they could is due to the fact they are proprietary technologies without a standardization for guideways. Each manufacturer has its own specs, and it locks you in with that vendor.

The Anoxis would avoid that as it uses regular UIC tracks.
I am sure that if required, the Chinese or Malaysian will be able to build new stock to the existing standards used.

These two countries are very good at obtaining 'licenses' to produce rollingstock.
Old November 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think the major reason monorails are not that popular as they could is due to the fact they are proprietary technologies without a standardization for guideways.
Beside this, constructing points for monorails is a mess. if you want a flexible system and not only a single-tracked circle line, monorail is no option. Emergency rescue is difficult if there is no emergency lane beside the tracks, so monorail-cars have to have the highest safety-standard. Itīs not only laying concrete-beams together...

The SYSTRA (France) also projected a standardized elevated system structure for metros and LRT. Maybe this project has something to do with this.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:46 PM   #14
Suburbanist
on the road

Does anyone know if some major project usign this technology has been committed to in recent months?
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #15
Fecs
Fabio Costa

Likes (Received): 556

Anyone knows the acceleration ratio of the axonis trains?

Fecs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #16
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Also due to the tracks being wider than the cars themselves {like all systems except monorail}, the shadow effect on the street is MUCH larger.
Although I do like the small shadow effect of monorail systems in theory, in reality it often turns out to be about the same, as safety regulations in most countries require platforms to be constructed for passengers alongside the entire length of the track, in case passengers have to be evacuated.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #17
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Cute, but it's hardly the first to the field. Not only that, but its competitor, Bombardier's Innovia Metro, is a proven and entrenched product, with multiple installations globally (Vancouver, Detroit, JFK AirTrain, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing...) and concomitant known benefits (e.g. full automation) and limitations (i.e. it's a proprietary technology).

Actually the product renders makes me think Alstom is pretty much just reverse-engineering as much of Bombardier's product as they can get away with.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #18
Shulan

Likes (Received): 0

Hi,
We must also underlign the rapidity of commissioning of a transportation system especially helps the mayor/conurbation's govt to be re-elected.
Unlike BRT (Bus Lane, up to 20000pphpd), an elevated LRT (monorail, skytrain, VAL..) quickly reinforce the image of modernity and reactivity. Manufacturers knows these systems are the opportunity to turn an ugly concrete-made system to a nice breathable and colourful one.
Many cities have recently shown their interests such as Krakow, Melbourne..
To be continued..
Shulan no está en línea   Reply With Quote