daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #221
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

This terminal is just beyond words. Awesome!!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #222
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
But it has been successful of late...since the US has become the strictest nation in the history of earth in terms of immigration (and then add to that the laptop ban), many people prefer "trying it out" in Abu Dhabi rather than on US soil... Hogan, in one of his last press releases had mentioned that!!
Perhaps but its a huge waste of money to operate. They have to pay for extra security staff, machines/equipment, TSA agents etc. just for their 7 daily flights. And in the end it doesn't seem that passengers are going out of there way in choosing EY over EK, QR, BA, LH etc.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Obobru liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #223
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 340

Hopefully it stays, though not harping on too much hope on this. It's the most convenient thing ever, line hardly long enough if you're early, which saved me a lot of trouble of running right after disembarkation to the immigration if i was to clear in the States. Secondly, it's hardly 20-30 minutes from disembarkation to carrying my luggage onto taxi and off we go.
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #224
osamah

Likes (Received): 5441

osamah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #225
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkdriver View Post
Hopefully it stays, though not harping on too much hope on this. It's the most convenient thing ever, line hardly long enough if you're early, which saved me a lot of trouble of running right after disembarkation to the immigration if i was to clear in the States. Secondly, it's hardly 20-30 minutes from disembarkation to carrying my luggage onto taxi and off we go.
I think they plan to keep it...though it will stay at the old terminal itself as they have already said that the new terminal is not designed to have this facility!!

Obobru liked this post
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #226
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

then it will be eerily quiet on terminal 3.
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #227
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
then it will be eerily quiet on terminal 3.
I'm sure they will give T1 and 3 to foreign airlines, and also move all airlines from T2. That should keep the current terminals busy enough.

They should also make the current T1 only for narrow body aircraft. Its a bit too small to handle the amount of passengers a wide body aircraft brings.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:42 PM   #228
killerk

Given that this is Abu Dhabi, chances are that the few international airlines that fly to AUH will use terminal 1 and 3...however, given the success of their US immigration facilities, they (the airport and Etihad) might expand that service there!!

Thanks to the incredible traveling experience they have had, South Asians and Middle East people prefer getting the immigration done in Abu Dhabi rather than face the long lines and the bombardment of questions they are subject to in the US entry points!! Even the Indian foreign minister and the Bangladesh PM flew Etihad to JFK for the United Nations session!!
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM   #229
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Likes (Received): 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
I'm sure they will give T1 and 3 to foreign airlines, and also move all airlines from T2. That should keep the current terminals busy enough.
29 foreign airlines fly from AUH and 5 of those are the ill-fated shared ownership airlines which will most likely stop flying. The others are mainly to India and Pakistan which fly from terminal 2 which I suspect maybe moved to terminal 1 when the rest are moved to the new terminal as T2 has no airbridges and is very basic.
Obobru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:33 PM   #230
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
Given that this is Abu Dhabi, chances are that the few international airlines that fly to AUH will use terminal 1 and 3...however, given the success of their US immigration facilities, they (the airport and Etihad) might expand that service there!!
They won't expand it if anything it will be closed down in the medium term as it will be ina terminal away from most of the passengers.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM   #231
killerk

I am betting on the fact that Etihad might be a part of Star Alliance in the long run....Unlike Dubai which has every airline from India that flies international, Abu Dhabi has only Air India express and Jet Airways...It is mostly the regional Arab airlines. However it also has the presence of AF-KLM (through KLM) and BA...the only missing link is Star Alliance....the new found alliance with Lufthansa (to dispose off the assets of Air Berlin) might lead to a Star alliance membership in the future!!

Also they have made a tunnel connecting the new terminal with the old...they shut down the older runway for months to create that. There will be some kind of people mover in that.
Old October 4th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #232
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:
Also they have made a tunnel connecting the new terminal with the old...they shut down the older runway for months to create that. There will be some kind of people mover in that.
Where did you read this? the only tunnel I can was aware of was the road tunnel built for service trucks.
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #233
killerk

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...#ixzz3074rGhVV

The third project is a southern runway tunnel that will connect the Midfield terminal to existing terminals. The new tunnel will stretch more than 720 metres in length and 38 to 46 metres in width. Construction of the tunnel will begin immediately, as the southern runway has been closed since January so that it can be widened to accommodate widebody aircraft.
Old October 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #234
Obobru
Proud Citizen

Quote:

The third project is a southern runway tunnel that will connect the Midfield terminal to existing terminals. The new tunnel will stretch more than 720 metres in length and 38 to 46 metres in width. Construction of the tunnel will begin immediately, as the southern runway has been closed since January so that it can be widened to accommodate widebody aircraft.
I think you may be getting confused with the tunnel they built to an empty patch of land that was planned to have some satellite terminals which I have heard have been scrapped due to Etihad's many issues. These tunnels I believe have been built but left empty with no equipment installed. This is from the story you posted

"The automated passenger mobility system is a set of trams that will connect passengers from the Midfield Terminal Building, set to open in July 2017, to other future terminals.

The third project is a southern runway tunnel that will connect the Midfield terminal to existing terminals. The new tunnel will stretch more than 720 metres in length and 38 to 46 metres in width. Construction of the tunnel will begin immediately, as the southern runway has been closed since January so that it can be widened to accommodate widebody aircraft." like I said the tunnel to the existing buildings is a road, no mention of people movers. The road is to carry everything from the service buildings to the terminal otherwise it would all have to go out of the existing airport onto the main road between Abu Dhabi and Dubai to get back into the new terminal.

Here's a video from 2015 about a year after the news story you posted which gives a little detail but is mainly about locals feeling like they are achieving something and is all Emirati fluff and light on details like everything. http://www.adac.ae/english/mtp/MTP/l...System---Video
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #235
killerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obobru View Post

Here's a video from 2015 about a year after the news story you posted which gives a little detail but is mainly about locals feeling like they are achieving something and is all Emirati fluff and light on details like everything. http://www.adac.ae/english/mtp/MTP/l...System---Video
Old October 5th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #236
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Quote:

Both runway is operating normally as of yesterday. Not sure which tunnel you're talking about but i saw a tunnel right in front of Terminal 1. Satellite terminal plan i was told it's gonna be put on hold.

the new Midfield terminal when all the gates open can accomodate Etihad and other airlines. There will be no need for Terminal 1 and 3. But yeah, they will be quite empty once Etihad moves everything to the new terminal. I believe narrow body operation will join as well as to maximise connecting facilities.
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #237
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Both runway is operating normally as of yesterday. Not sure which tunnel you're talking about but i saw a tunnel right in front of Terminal 1. Satellite terminal plan i was told it's gonna be put on hold.

the new Midfield terminal when all the gates open can accomodate Etihad and other airlines. There will be no need for Terminal 1 and 3. But yeah, they will be quite empty once Etihad moves everything to the new terminal. I believe narrow body operation will join as well as to maximise connecting facilities.
AUH will still grow organically as the city will become more populated and receive more tourists. So I'm sure more airlines will fly to Abu Dhabi but they will come slowly.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old October 7th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #238
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
I am betting on the fact that Etihad might be a part of Star Alliance in the long run....Unlike Dubai which has every airline from India that flies international, Abu Dhabi has only Air India express and Jet Airways...It is mostly the regional Arab airlines. However it also has the presence of AF-KLM (through KLM) and BA...the only missing link is Star Alliance....the new found alliance with Lufthansa (to dispose off the assets of Air Berlin) might lead to a Star alliance membership in the future!!

This is the MART tunnel (Midfield Airside Road Tunnel) which is complete as you say, you can see the exit of the tunnel inbetween the two taxi ways in front of T3. The only people movers in here will be busses. The APM tunnel which is built in in between piers 2 and 3 of the MTB will have a people mover in eventually when they build a satellite terminal.

killerk liked this post
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #239
killerk

Buses will work....As long as they can connect the passengers between the new and the (soon to be) old one..
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #240
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
This is the MART tunnel (Midfield Airside Road Tunnel) which is complete as you say, you can see the exit of the tunnel inbetween the two taxi ways in front of T3. The only people movers in here will be busses. The APM tunnel which is built in in between piers 2 and 3 of the MTB will have a people mover in eventually when they build a satellite terminal.
Etihad is not growing for the next 10 years at least, i doubt satellite terminal will be built, unless they grow enough balls (and courage) to do Qatar style of flying everywhere.

Obobru liked this post

Tags
south asian hub airport