daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #61
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Howard Hughes isn't slowing down just because Gale Brewer wants to crush their Seaport Tower plans:

Howard Hughes buys building west of Seaport for $24M

Curbed

Quote:
The Howard Hughes Corp. acquired a 10-story commercial building on the outskirts of the South Street Seaport for $24 million, according to property records filed with the city today.

Tom Molloy’s American International Realty has owned the 58,500-square-foot property at 163 Front Street, also known as 34-40 Fletcher Street, since 1996, records show. The structure, used primarily for storage, offers 98,280 buildable square feet. Across the street, Fortis Property Group is in the process of building a 51-story condo tower at 151 Maiden Lane, also known as 39 Fletcher Street.

Texas-based Howard Hughes, led by CEO David Weinreb, has been at odds with city officials and Seaport residents over plans to construct a 494-foot condominium tower as part of its proposed $1.5 billion redevelopment of the area. “Our focus right now is on developing Pier 17 and pursuing our proposal for a mixed-use building with more than $300 million in public improvements,” a spokesperson for Howard Hughes said in a statement.

- See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/03/....YrBUhuUF.dpuf

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #62
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22536

context: this has been on hold and has been receiving NIMBY criticism all the while.

DNAinfo: Controversial Plan for Condo Tower at Seaport Is Nixed, Developer Says

Quote:
SOUTH STREET SEAPORT — A controversial and long-stalled plan to build a luxury condo tower on the site of a former Fulton Fish Market warehouse is not happening, the developer said.

The Howard Hughes Corporation's plans for the 494-foot condo tower at the New Market Building site, a dilapidated former Fulton Fish Market warehouse that sits at the base of Pier 17, had been on hold for months, after prolonged pushback from residents and local officials.
[...]

Instead, Curry said, the developer is planning to erect a "commercial building" at the New Market site, but that it will not be tall. He declined to comment about what kind of business might be in the building, and why the company decided to squash the residential plan.
[...]
RIP!

ps. the new Pier 17 is already under construction. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1870394

Last edited by Hudson11; December 16th, 2015 at 08:00 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #63
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

After the stinkeroo around first proposed tower this project was a dead man walking. No surprises here...
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #64
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

I'm extremely pro development, but I do believe that in certain cases preservation is necessary, and the "dilapidated fish market" here is an irreplaceable remnant of New York's past that speaks to the former grit of downtown. Furthermore South Street Seaport is a refuge from the jungle of buildings downtown, and I see no reason why this building should ruin that atmosphere, or why we should condone that. This is a real example of profit being put ahead of livability. This tower offered little no amenities to the public, whilst taking away a valuable former amenity. Again, I'm not a NIMBY, if a huge condo tower was proposed for my old tenement building, I'd move out in the name of helping my neighborhood advance. But this development simply wasn't necessary or productive.

The architecture was nice though, so I wish somehow this design could simply be moved to a development by the Manhattan bridge or something.

bodegavendetta liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #65
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22536

it matters little, for we still get to see a tall skyscraper and a supertall rise just a tad to the south on manhattan proper

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #66
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strella1 View Post
any news ?
Uhhh I've yet to see a more epic fail than this post. Look like 3 postings above yours
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #67
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57911

I don't think Manhattan's towers should expand into the Hudson or other bodies of water like that. It looks really awkward.

Rather go denser in shubby lowrise districts or expand Brooklyn, Queens and the likes. Or make use of some of the islands between the districts.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

streetscapeer liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #68
royal rose1

Agreed, it's a recipe for disaster given the risk of flooding, it makes flood prevention more difficult, and it simply seems like an abuse of the limited waterfront we have. I am a proponent of the waterfront developments near the Manhattan bridge, as well as domino, DUMBO, Long island city and williamsburg. But not a fan of developments near lowrise neighborhoods that will forever stick out, and provide an awkward juxtaposition in perpetuity.

erbse liked this post
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #69
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

I was never a huge fan of this tower, both architecturally and for some of the reasons enumerated above, and so not sad to see it go.

One does have to wonder though, are these development rights transferrable? Maybe I'm dreaming, but could they perhaps be applied across the way at 80 South?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #70
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 2979

Quote:
Steel superstructure is rising at the Howard Hughes Corporation's new retail center at Pier 17, a redevelopment of the site that formerly was home to Benjamin Thompson's 1983 structure of similar function. The 300,000 square foot retail project is designed by SHoP Architects, the firm also responsible for the nearby Pier 15 and the East River Waterfront Esplanade renovation.
http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2016/...eaport-pier-17

Tags
new york, pier 17, south st seaport tower, south street