daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #181
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I saw some interesting blueprints for this guy just randomly lying on a table at Salvage One, dated 1988, ink on vellum.

Is there even a plan for what will replace the pavilions, Childrens' Hospital, and power plant? I drove past the medical center yesterday. The amount of new buildings there is staggering, but they're all so spread out, with gigantic unused fields and random parking lots separating everything. If the city wants to plan a world-class medical district, they need to make it compact as well as comprehensive, and allow private development to come in and fill the gaps that make the surrounding neighborhood look like a war zone.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM   #182
Abner

Likes (Received): 0

Eminent domain swallowed up a much larger chunk of land on the Near West Side than the IMD is ever going to use in the remotely near future. There's still over a dozen blocks south of Roosevelt and west of Ashland just sitting empty; it's close to the size of the built-up portion of the IMD. There's such an obnoxiously large amount of land there, I don't understand why it was necessary or financially advantageous to knock all these buildings down. Because of the total absence of anything at all besides the hospitals, the place is just creepy after hours. The politics of the place is something I will never understand.
Abner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #183
Abner

http://wjinc.com/main.asp?SectionID=...25&TM=54992.15

All my fretting for nothing. Centrum pulled out of the competition, citing Target's lack of interest in expansion plans given the economy. But, "Also, Centrum planned to use downtown TIF dollars and acquire a bigger piece of land than the 81,000-square-foot parcel the village was offering. The village wasn't interested in either."

The finalists are AvalonBay and Mid-America. Mid-America claims they can't make it work without subsidies. The number of apartments could be as high as about 270 in AvalonBay's proposal, fewer in Mid-America's.

Also, the project on Harlem and South Blvd. is on hold because of the economy. Too bad.
http://wjinc.com/main.asp?SectionID=...27&TM=54651.35
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #184
sukwoo

Bummer about the Harlem and South project delay. On the other hand, I park in one of the lots that the project will be built on, so I get bit of a reprieve. Cautiously optimistic about the remaining Superblock plans.
sukwoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #185
sukwoo

So I was dismayed to read in the local Oak Park paper that both remaining proposals will require significant village subsidies, in the range of 30-40 million dollars. Is this routine for developers to ask for subsidies? Do they ask for subsidies because they can't make the project work otherwise, or do they ask because they can?

I wasn't around when the Whiteco development was approved, but it seems like a similar subsidy was approved for that project.

http://wjinc.com/main.asp?SectionID=...rticleID=10687

3/18/2008 10:05:00 PM
Colt redo could cost village millions
Some Oak Park trustees troubled by fund requests

By MARTY STEMPNIAK

If Oak Park wants something spectacular to be built on a village-owned piece of land in the heart of downtown, then it needs to contribute tens of millions to make it happen.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM   #186
Abner

Yes, developers often help themselves to huge subsidies. I have to say $40 million in subsidies for maybe a $150 million project does seem pretty huge, doesn't it? I also find it pretty interesting that part of Mid-America's proposed subsidy would come in the form of hiding part of the hotel charge in a "tax" that will go straight back to them.

I wonder how much of the subsidy is because of the enormous garage each project includes. Oak Park has to be the most parking-paranoid town I've ever heard of. Downtown Oak Park is an absolute breeze to park in, yet the village feels the need to spend vast sums of money it doesn't have to accommodate armies of cars for free. It's just ridiculous, and it's a substantial part of the reason the Village has to have outrageous taxes.

What's really sad about this, though, is that the one group that had the honesty to say from the outset that subsidies would be necessary for the project to be viable was eliminated from the competition for just that reason. I think they also had the best plan for the project.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #187
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Little Village (4400 W.26th)

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder30.article

26th Street to get taste of Beverly Hills
REAL ESTATE |
California-based developer partners with local firm to bring movie theater, housing, grocer to Little Village

April 30, 2008Recommend

DAVID ROEDER [email protected]

A little bit of Beverly Hills is coming to 26th Street, an important commercial corridor to Little Village.

But this isn't gentrification gone crazy. It's a developer based in Beverly Hills, Calif., taking the wraps off a project proposed for 4400 W. 26th St. Primestor Development Inc. wants to build about 100 housing units, and approximately 190,000 square feet of commercial space, including a movie theater.

The property covers about 15 acres near the city's boundary with Cicero. Primestor and a local partner, the Little Village Community Development Corp., have worked through the planning process for a couple years and has now introduced an ordinance to rezone the site with the support of Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd)..........
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #188
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Renderings of the above development. I like the southern half of the project, but the northern half, not so much.

Old June 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #189
nrioq

Article about Colt building in Oak Park:

http://wednesdayjournalonline.com/ma...rticleID=11501

New proposals submitted for Colt building
One revamps architecture, other cuts down on apartments

Two developers competing to reinvent a key piece of downtown Oak Park property have revamped their ideas for the site.

These revisions come two months after the village board and various volunteer commissions criticized the earlier proposals for their uninspired architecture and dependence on local subsidies.

------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm partial to Avalon's project. There is a slide show linked from the above article showing the designs.
http://www.wednesdayjournalonline.co...03&TM=45369.87
I HATE Mid-America's design.
nrioq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #190
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

I like it!
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #191
nrioq

Edit

Last edited by nrioq; February 21st, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #192
sukwoo

Yeah, I think Oak Park missed the boat on this. I blame the misguided efforts of the previous Village Board which wasted two years trying to save the Colt Building. We may have to wait a few more years now till the economy turns around.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #193
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

625 apartments planned for West Side

625 apartments planned for West Side
By Alby Gallun, July 23, 2008

South Loop condominium developer Keith Giles plans two large apartment developments totaling about 625 units on Chicago’s West Side.

Kargil Development LLC, a firm run by Mr. Giles and partner Jerry Karlik, plans to break ground early next year on the smaller project, a 12-story, 225-unit building on the northeast corner of 15th Street and Blue Island Avenue, according to a person familiar with Kargil’s plans.

Designed by FitzGerald Associates Architects, the building is expected to cost about $70 million and is to include about 12,000 square feet of retail space, according to the person. Mr. Giles did not return phone calls for comment.

Kargil also wants to build roughly 400 apartments at the southeast corner of 15th and Blue Island, the current headquarters of Testa Produce Inc., the person says. Given the property’s proximity to the University of Illinois at Chicago, student housing is another possibility under consideration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If the 225-unit building is 12 stories, I can only imagine how tall the 400-unit building will be. Since its site is smaller, we could be looking at a 20-25 story building. Maybe they can call it SoRo.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #194
nrioq

Does that region count as Pilsen? I've been over in that area and was quite surprised to see how much development that is going on. It's a nice area, quite underrated. The draw back is limited access to the train system.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #195
Abner

That is just north of Pilsen. The border is the train tracks along 16th, and it's a hard border--south of them is definitely Pilsen, north of them is definitely not. That location is kind of close to the Pink Line, but commuters to the Loop would probably use the #60 bus, which stops right on Blue Island.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #196
nrioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
That is just north of Pilsen. The border is the train tracks along 16th, and it's a hard border--south of them is definitely Pilsen, north of them is definitely not. That location is kind of close to the Pink Line, but commuters to the Loop would probably use the #60 bus, which stops right on Blue Island.
Thank! I thought the tracks were the boundary.

I'm glad to see the added density.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #197
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Panel OKs TIF money for Little Village project
By Eddie Baeb, Aug. 14, 2008

(Crain’s) — A city panel signed off on a $24.8-million subsidy for a mixed-use development in the Little Village neighborhood that’s to include a grocery store, movie theater and apartments.

The Chicago Community Development Commission voted Tuesday to approve the tax-increment financing (TIF) grant for the $132.7-million project on a 16-acre site at 4400 W. 26th St., near the border of Cicero. The subsidy now must be approved by the City Council.

Little Village Re-development Project
26th Street and Kostner, Chicago, IL

The Little Village project is a 40 acre mixed-use development that includes residential, retail uses, and public areas.

The site is located at the western terminus of a 2-mile stretch of 26th Street, which is the commercial heart of the Latino community in Little Village and one of the most vibrant and dense communities in the Midwest. It generates the second highest sales tax revenue in the City of Chicago.

The development will consist of a neighborhood shopping center and several hundred new residential units, with a mix of affordability and density, along with open space amenities. The shopping center will feature striking architectural appointments, as well as plaza open space for neighborhood shoppers and community events.

Demographics
Population: 54,368 within a 1-mile radius.
Average Household Income: $45,373
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #198
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Forgive me. I'm totally out of the loop on this one.

What exactly are the current plans for Cook County Hospital and what is all the current construction (demolition?) leading to?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #199
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Daley had the whole place demolished in a midnight raid as an Easter present to Todd Stroger last spring. You didn't hear?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #200
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Daley had the whole place demolished in a midnight raid as an Easter present to Todd Stroger last spring. You didn't hear?
thanks, Urban. I don't know how I missed that.

Does that mean based on what is down now that all hope is lost? I mean, the demoliton isn't complete obviously; are there still salvagable parts?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote