daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #201
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I was just joking.

The awesome people at Preservation Chicago have fought to save that building and appeared to have won over the County's support.

What worries me is that as long as that building doesn't make itself economically productive it will always be seen as a financial burden and remains at risk for demo.

What ever happened to the plan to convert it into medical office space? Is a residential conversion possible? I imagine that a lot of students/housestaff/nurses/medical assistants, etc and their families who work in nearby hospitals need a place to live within walking distance.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #202
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I was just joking.

The awesome people at Preservation Chicago have fought to save that building and appeared to have won over the County's support.

What worries me is that as long as that building doesn't make itself economically productive it will always be seen as a financial burden and remains at risk for demo.

What ever happened to the plan to convert it into medical office space? Is a residential conversion possible? I imagine that a lot of students/housestaff/nurses/medical assistants, etc and their families who work in nearby hospitals need a place to live within walking distance.
I am gullible.

As for your observation here: I wonder if the real issue is that huge amount of space and the difficulty of retrofitting something of that magnitude. You know, as in the old post office.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #203
Chitownwest

Likes (Received): 0

The Island

The west side has numerous great areas that are overshadowed by old generalizations about the west side in general.

The Austin area which is the largest neighborhood in Chicago by population standards and come second in size has very nice areas. Its a forgotten part of the city. Two of the nice areas are Galewood and the Island. Galewood is the northernmost section of Austin along the northern border with Oak Park but south of the Galewood railyards. The Island, a square mile in the extreme southwest corner of Austin, which is bordered by Cicero to the south and Oak Park to the west and which is isolated from other residential area in the city by the Eisenhower Expressway and Columbus Park to the north and an industrial area to the east.

Anyway, the island area might be the most diverse community in Chicago. There are whites, blacks, latins and yes a huge Asian population all living together on the west side of Chicago. We have restaurants, stores, shopping strips, medical facilities, Chicago film studios and transportation. Blue line, Pace and CTA buses are less then three blocks away. It takes me 10 minutes to drive to work down town in rush hour traffic. If I jump on the blue line from Austin its 20 minutes from my doorstep to my jobs. Its a block from both Oak Park and Cicero but not directly connected to Chicago. Yes, the Eisenhower expressway and an industrial corridor disconnects this area from Chicago itself.

The Beast which is a new Oxygen show featuring Patrick Swayze and others is frequently filmed in this area. The neighbor watch is excellent and we work well with the cops to stop even petty crime.

I am just sick and tired of people generalizing and giving me looks of disgust when I tell them where I live. My neighborhood is one of the best in Chicago and if you think otherwise please come by for a visit.
Chitownwest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #204
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownwest View Post
The west side has numerous great areas that are overshadowed by old generalizations about the west side in general.

The Austin area which is the largest neighborhood in Chicago by population standards and come second in size has very nice areas. Its a forgotten part of the city. Two of the nice areas are Galewood and the Island. Galewood is the northernmost section of Austin along the northern border with Oak Park but south of the Galewood railyards. The Island, a square mile in the extreme southwest corner of Austin, which is bordered by Cicero to the south and Oak Park to the west and which is isolated from other residential area in the city by the Eisenhower Expressway and Columbus Park to the north and an industrial area to the east.

Anyway, the island area might be the most diverse community in Chicago. There are whites, blacks, latins and yes a huge Asian population all living together on the west side of Chicago. We have restaurants, stores, shopping strips, medical facilities, Chicago film studios and transportation. Blue line, Pace and CTA buses are less then three blocks away. It takes me 10 minutes to drive to work down town in rush hour traffic. If I jump on the blue line from Austin its 20 minutes from my doorstep to my jobs. Its a block from both Oak Park and Cicero but not directly connected to Chicago. Yes, the Eisenhower expressway and an industrial corridor disconnects this area from Chicago itself.

The Beast which is a new Oxygen show featuring Patrick Swayze and others is frequently filmed in this area. The neighbor watch is excellent and we work well with the cops to stop even petty crime.

I am just sick and tired of people generalizing and giving me looks of disgust when I tell them where I live. My neighborhood is one of the best in Chicago and if you think otherwise please come by for a visit.
What effect...if any...does Oak Park's organized and proactive philosophy and program to promote diversity and prevent segregation have when you cross neighboring Austin Blvd into Austin?

Oak Park, IMHO, serves as a great model...it would be nice to think that its philosphy could spread into adjacent areas.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #205
Chitownwest

Oak Parks diversity philosophies has minimum affects to the other side of Austin blvd. The areas that are a few blocks from Oak Park I would have to say have that Oak Park feel. The architecture is the virtually the same, the neighborhoods is just as clean and there is not a lot of crime until you get to Central avenue generally speaking. The closer to Central avenue that you get the less diverse the area gets. Everyone wants to associate themselves with Oak Park in these areas and not the west side of Chicago.

The city needs to continue to invest in this community because it has so much potential. New stores, restaurants, and condos are popping up in Austin but the city has neglected this area for too long. Dont understand why the most populous and second largest neighborhood in the city can go ignored for so long? I wonder how many people even know what or where Austin is?
Chitownwest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM   #206
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...77&TM=45984.64
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM   #207
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Woah - this is the first time I've seen you post in about a year. Is the Chicago section coming back to life? Now all we need is edsg, danthediscoman, and geoff (although I've seen him post a couple of times recently).
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM   #208
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Add to that dancethingy, Blackbelt Jones, and azn chi boi and we'll have a regular reunion of sorts
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM   #209
spyguy
Expert

^Don't forget Krzycho - he still posts in the photo contest but I miss his massive photo threads - those were the best inventories of new mid and lowrise construction in Chicago on the web.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #210
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

HA, I check for updates about once a day, just been lazy about posting.
Of course, with the lousy economy there is less to report on.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #211
The Urban Politician
The City

This was posted at SSP. Does anybody know what this is all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
..On the corner of 18th and Ashland there's a public notice of Alderman Solis's request to "remove pedestrian street designation" from 18th St. (The address written on the notice is 1800 S. Ashland and the notification simply says "along W. 18th St." without anything more specific.) What does this mean? What is pedestrian street designation? On the surface it sure sounds like a bad thing... 18th St. is definitely a pedestrian street. There may have been more of these notices elsewhere but I didn't happen to see them.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #212
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Answer found. Nothing to worry about.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #213
The Urban Politician
The City

It was posted at the Yo that "several tall, mixed use buildings" have been proposed in Logan Square (near Milwaukee and California) and that Ald Flores is holding community hearings to consider them.

The proposed development is supposed to take up "several lots", as per their reporting, and the developer will seek TIF funds. About 25% of the units will be designated as "affordable".

The hearing will be open to the public and held from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 29, at the Urban Vineyard Church, 2145 N Maplewood Ave in Logan Square.

Ald Flores seems to be reasonable when it comes to TOD, so this is great news so far.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #214
spyguy
Expert

http://www.wednesdayjournalonline.co...rticleID=15783

Madison 1; Commission 0
Village board OKs Madison project over advice of volunteer panel

By MARTY STEMPNIAK

A group of local volunteers called the Oak Park Plan Commission recently spent seven meetings - about 24 hours total - deciding whether the village should allow a four-story office building to be built at the corner of Highland and Madison. They decided no. But that advice was thrown out the window Monday night: The village board OKd the proposal anyway.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #215
The Urban Politician
The City

^

When NIMBY's lose, society wins
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #216
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^

When NIMBY's lose, society wins
Yeah, I wish our NIMBYs were that interesting and entertaining. At least I'd get some enjoyment out of the ukulele songs.

Walgreens - Madison and Oak Park Ave
Basically they're going to demolish all of the existing buildings on this site except the facade of the corner building. The corner space will be leased to a different retailer. Better than the original plan of just getting rid of everything completely.

Old December 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #217
spyguy
Expert

http://www.wednesdayjournalonline.co...rticleID=16206

River Forest seeks developer for Lake and Lathrop site
By BILL DWYER

The River Forest village board's planning and development committee is recommending the board take the first step toward possible redevelopment of property on Lake Street between Lathrop and Ashland.

The committee also went into closed session after public discussion Tuesday evening to discuss the purchase of property on or next to the Lake and Lathrop site.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #218
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Controversial tower gets Oak Park plan commission OK

Quote:
After four hours of debate, the Oak Park plan commission voted 6-3 Thursday night to recommend approval of a controversial 20-story glass tower for a busy corner in the near west suburb's downtown area.

Some village residents and commissioners praise the unique architecture while others detest the modern slim building that will tower over its neighbors. Some of those neighboring buildings are in a section of the Frank Lloyd Wright Historic District. The development includes a 140-room hotel, 85 high-end condos, retail space and a public/private parking garage.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ass-tower.html
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #219
sukwoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Controversial tower gets Oak Park plan commission OK

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ass-tower.html
The opponents are mobilizing.

http://www.oakparkcitizens.com/
http://www.wednesdayjournalonline.co...ctionID=17&S=1
sukwoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #220
The Urban Politician
The City

I have long been critical of the west loop west of Halsted, but I have to say that last time I was in the neighborhood (about a week ago), I noticed that it is starting to come around. The retail/pedestrian scene is slowly starting to pick up. Anybody else notice the same?