daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #141
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

ok, this whole wrought iron black crap is getting old. Am I the alone on this?

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #142
Mr. Hightower

Likes (Received): 0

1260 W. MADISON (FedEx site)

short notice, but:

1260 W. MADISON (FedEx site)

The developers of 1260 W. Madison (FedEx site)
are geared up to show you the proposed new
retail/residential project they've been planning.

MARCH 27, 2007 AT 6:00PM
@ WEST LOOP STUDIO
17 N. ELIZABETH

TAKE THE TIME AND SHOW YOUR
SUPPORT. DEVELOPER TO PRESENT
ALL THE FACTS AT THIS TIME.

THIS IS A PUBLIC COMMUNITY MEETING SO ALL ARE WELCOME
Mr. Hightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #143
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Oh I hope they don't shorten it.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #144
Sir Isaac Newton

It seems like there has been a lot of development and construction going on in West Haven and East Garfield Park over the last year or two. I'm definitely curious to hear from people in this forum who live in that area on how things are progressing in their area (especially in regards to the retail plan on Madison Street). Are new businesses and restaurants coming into the area? Is the neighborhood as a whole, seem to be improving?
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM   #145
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Not sure if this is the right 'hood but here goes:

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...45&TM=81996.62
6/20/2007 10:00:00 PM
Banking on a new development
American Eagle Bank to build new location, condos next year

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER
Editor

The bank headquarters and condo development on the 700 block of N. Ashland will include 27 residential units and two or three commercial spaces.
File image

An empty lot and used car dealership on the 700 block of N. Ashland will be converted into a bank and 27-unit condominium development by the end of 2008.

Greg Whipple, president of American Eagle Bank, said the project still awaits variances for a drive-thru teller at the bank, but zoning has been approved by the city. The bank will take much of the first two floors of the development, Whipple said.

He said the four-story building will include a fifth floor setback for a bedroom and den, roughly 62 parking spaces and two or three ground-floor commercial spaces, including the bank operation. Approximately 12 to 15 of the parking spaces will be available to the public, Whipple said. The units also will include balconies or terraces, he said.

He said it still is uncertain what businesses will occupy the commercial space, but he added that they are looking for a "local flavor."

"We're trying to keep a neighborhood feel because we're a community bank," he said.

The 30,000-square-foot lot runs from 700-710 N. Ashland.

He said the development includes two buildings split by an alley. The entire site takes up 11 city lots, one of which that runs into the Huron Street neighborhood will be converted into a space park space that acts as a buffer between the building and nearby residential housing, Whipple said.

Construction will begin in late summer and last roughly 15 months, he said.

"We expect being in there by next fall," he said.

Neighbors living in nearby East Village expressed concern about the congestion a bank would bring last summer when the development first surfaced. But incoming Chicago Grand Neighbors Association president David Ramos said his group supports the project.

Ramos said he believes development in the area will help curb crime.

Meanwhile, Whipple said American Eagle also is building a new branch at 2255 N. Western. He said construction of the Western branch will run concurrently with the Ashland branch, beginning roughly in July and completing near the end of 2008
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:13 PM   #146
The Urban Politician
The City

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...realestate-hed
Grand Avenue gateway goal of Montclare revival plan

By Jeanette Almada
Special to the Tribune
Published July 1, 2007

A six-story project with residential units and ground-floor retail space is intended to convert a failing corner in the Montclare neighborhood, where Elmwood Park and Chicago meet, into a pedestrian-oriented gateway district.

The Chicago Plan Commission on June 21 approved the project, but City Council approval still is needed. Harlem & Grand LLC will build it on 0.62 of an acre.

Harlem & Grand is a partnership between two families that have each owned part of the site for years. The families combined the properties to create a significant development site, said George Kouvelis, the managing partner representing one of the families and head of Premier Construction Group, which will build the project. He also heads PreferredCo, the development company managing the project.

The Gus Kouvelis family had owned a 14,500 square-foot parcel on the northeast corner of Grand and Harlem Avenues. The Luigi Mollo family, which includes Mariano Mollo who heads Avenue One Realty, owned an adjacent 12,500-square-foot parcel.

Since the two families formed the LLC, that entity has purchased the combined 27,000-square-foot site, making the families 50/50 partners in the project, Kouvelis said.

The project, to be called The Grand at Harlem, will go up at 7180-7192 W. Grand Ave. and consist of 70 condominiums and 9,200 square feet of ground-level retail space.

One-bedroom and two-bedroom condos will have an estimated 900 to 1,700 square feet of space. Stressing that plans are in early pricing stages, Kouvelis estimates that the LLC will sell the units for $280,000 to $450,000.

Of seven to eight storefronts with 900 to 2,700 square feet of space, Kouvelis expects that one will be a cafe and another a restaurant to draw foot traffic.

"We have designed a village-style facade, a masonry building with balconies facing Harlem and Grand, with 6th-floor terraces, a green roof and a setback garden on the second floor," Kouvelis said.

"We are trying to create a downtown walking district, to bring back the old Grand Avenue, once part of a thriving Grand and Harlem shopping district. Right now people don't walk there because most of the stores are empty, but The Grand at Harlem project will change the area to a gateway, the entrance into the city from Elmwood Park," Kouvelis said.

Condo seekers have begun to express interest, said Kouvelis, who expects buyers to be couples in their 20s and 30s.

The developer will begin selling the units by the end of summer from Avenue One's office at 7159 W. Grand Ave., across from the site. Construction likely will begin by next spring.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #147
The Urban Politician
The City

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/busine...61BIZ3.article
New Lenox Metra station development plan sprawls into 'a city within city'

July 6, 2007
By Patrick Ferrell Special to the Daily Southtown
The area around New Lenox's second Metra station near Laraway and Cedar faces a large overhaul unlike any other development in the village.

GV Development is proposing a 236-acre, transit-oriented development that one trustee dubbed "a city within a city."

The development would straddle the railroad tracks north of Laraway Road and include some commercial and single-family homes south of Laraway, west of the tracks.

More than half of its 949 residential units would be condominiums. The rest would be split between single-family homes, brownstones and townhomes.

There's also 50 acres of commercial development planned. The entire project, called Village Station, will be marketed to folks who take the train to downtown Chicago for work.

"There's a lot of opportunities for pedestrians to get around," architect Chuck Smith said in describing to the village board the tree-lined, sweeping promenade in the middle of the development. "That's exactly what this is built for."

"We've clearly got a recipe for success here," Trustee Ray Tuminello said. "This is exactly what I envisioned for the area."

The project was approved by the village a few years ago, but Smith brought it back before the village board recently with some changes.

Those include a redistribution of some housing types and changing once-planned curved blocks into straighter, more urban designs.

"One of the fundamentals of a transit-oriented development is short, walkable blocks," Smith said. The major retail portions, including the most concentrated residential areas, will be within two blocks of the village's SouthWest Service line Metra station.

Trustee Nancy Dye, who usually advocates for larger, estate-type lots, said she liked the design of the project but was concerned the village would set a precedent for smaller, more compact housing.

Dye also said the success of the project depends on whether Metra increases the number of trains it runs on the line. Currently, two run to Chicago in the morning and two return in the evening.

"If you take a half day (off work) to get home because one of your kids is sick, you're stuck," she said. "You can't get home on this line."

Smith said Metra was very excited for the project and would likely increase the number of daily trains once demand increases, something the project undoubtedly will do.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #148
globill

Why not put this in the Suburban thread. This thread's combination of West Side and "Suburban" makes no sense. I understand putting Cicero,Oak Park etc in this thread, but New Lenox???

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #149
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I know... this really needs to be re-labelled to "Near West Suburban Development".

Including:
Cicero
Oak Park
Maywood
Westchester
Melrose Park
Elmwood Park
River Forest
Riverside

etc.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #150
spyguy
Expert

Old Cook County Hospital Development News

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archive/0907/ud0907.htm

Stroger may save old County Hospital

Crystal Carlson

Stroger has proposed removing the connection between the old hospital and the Fantus Clinic, building a new road between Fantus and the hospital, and adding a daycare center and commercial center. The restoration proposal also specifies obtaining LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification; LEED encourages creating buildings that are environmentally sustainable and energy efficient.

Old September 10th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #151
The Urban Politician
The City

If all goes well with this, I would consider this one of the top preservationist victories in American history.

You can't demolish Cook County Hospital, plain and simple.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #152
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

yeah you cant (knock it down), and the guy got to put his name
on the new one, the least he can do is save the old one.
wonder what they will use it for?
probably offices
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #153
Titan 3

What aa fantastic building!!! Restoration FTW!
Titan 3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #154
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
If all goes well with this, I would consider this one of the top preservationist victories in American history.

You can't demolish Cook County Hospital, plain and simple.

Its a tall statement but one with validity that will even become more apparent with time.
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #155
globill

They should turn it into a museum or something civic-minded. Maybe an ER Museum?

Old September 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #156
The Urban Politician
The City

I think the plan is to turn it into medical offices.

Damn it, I'll open up an office there if I have to (we'll have to wait till 2009, though). This structure MUST be saved at all costs. The Illinois Medical District is turning into a built up pile of concrete, steel, and ugly parking garages, and structures like these must remain to add some grace to the area.

Actually, I haven't seen that area since 2005, but I recall that a lot of residential construction is occuring nearby. A lot of hospital workers, I believe. So much potential...
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #157
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I have no idea what belongs on this thread any more, but this sucker's gettin' put here, like it or not. One notable aspect of the project is that TIF dollars will go towards "adding to the streetgrid", even though supposedly this is a gated development. Sounds like an inappropriate use of public funds to me:

CITY REPORT
TIF help for housing project in W. Elsdon
By Jeanette Almada Special to the Tribune
September 23, 2007
The city has agreed to provide up to $7.4 million in tax increment financing for a 181-unit residential project planned for the West Elsdon neighborhood.

The Community Development Commission this month approved TIF assistance for the Park Place development. City Council approval for the subsidy is needed.

A team of local developers -- Ted Mazola of New West Realty, August Mauro, Neil Renzi, Anthony Tirtilli and Charles Papp -- will build the project through 5007 Lawndale Corp.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,5084513.story

Some renderings:

Last edited by The Urban Politician; September 24th, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #158
spyguy
Expert

Photos taken a few days ago by Noah Vaughn on flickr

Old December 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #159
spyguy
Expert

Not sure why this was moved, but demolition is certainly underway.

Some photos from flickr:
katherine of chicago

Suburbanite05
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #160
The Urban Politician
The City

I found this somewhat interesting, especially the parts in bold. It's too bad there isn't an L stop at Damen and Lake, which would make this a great example of TOD:

Westhaven Park heads toward its final phase
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
December 16, 2007
The city has approved the last 203-unit phase for Westhaven Park on the Near West Side.

(Excerpt 1)

The Plan Commission in November approved that phase on 8.35 acres between Lake Street and Washington Boulevard and Wolcott and Damen Avenues.

(Excerpt 2)

A 10-story building at Lake Street and Damen will hold 80 of the last 111 for-sale units. Of those, 16 will be leased to public-housing residents and 64 sold at affordable and market rates.

(Excerpt 3)

The 10-story building and one of the apartments will contain ground-floor commercial space. . Another apartment building will include office and community space on Lake, Levavi said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,7539123.story