daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #21
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1636

I used to work in the office building right next door... 1675 Broadway. I saw some great performances at Roseland including Fishbone, Maceo Parker and Lenny Kravitz. I'm sad to see it go down the road along with many of my old haunts, but at least this will be a cool building.

1675 is 485 feet, so this looks like it will be in the 700 foot range.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #22
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Very nice... has a modern feel and look but also very elegant. Any idea on when groundbreaking may occur and if it could reach closer to 800 ft than 700?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #23
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28297

Not much info about dates on the web, but I found this article. Apparently Roseland closes in April.

Quote:
Lady Gaga To Send NYC's Iconic "Roseland Ballroom" Off With Concert Series

New York City's Roseland Ballroom, the iconic venue in Midtown Manhattan that has served as the backdrop for one of the biggest annual gay events on the calendar, the Black Party, will close its doors for the last time in spring with appropriate help from Lady Gaga.

Mother Monster, fresh off scoring her second No. 1 album with ARTPOP, will send the historic Big Apple venue off with a special residency that only the New York-native gay diva can bring.

From the press release:

Iconic New York City venue Roseland Ballroom is closing its doors for good in 2014, and Lady Gaga will help shut down her hometown venue with a real New York theatrical affair! Gaga will play the final shows EVER at the Roseland in a very intimate residency March 28, 30, 31 and April 2, it was announced today by Live Nation Global Touring. Tickets for all performances are on sale now.
the rest of the article can be found here:
http://instinctmagazine.com/post/lad...concert-series

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #24
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Great. Roseland is an eyesore. This tower looks about 250m.

citybooster, Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #25
citybooster

250 meters... nice! About 820 ft, maybe a little more or less but a very nice addition to the downtown skyline!
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #26
RobertWalpole
BANNED

This is in the theatre district near the north end of the Times Sq area.
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #27
citybooster

I'm sorry, absentmindedly thinking about it being downtown when clearly upper part of midtown. Still a very good addition.
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #28
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree, especially since the Roseland is an eyesore.
Old March 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

250 m?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; March 13th, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #30
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Final bow for NYC’s historic Roseland Ballroom

Quote:
The punks mourned the closure of CBGB in 2006, the indie-rockers cried foul when Northsix became Music Hall of Williamsburg in 2007, but almost all of New York’s music lovers will be sad to see Roseland Ballroom close its doors. The historic venue will shutter in April with a run of seven shows by Lady Gaga, bringing almost a century of history to an end.

Initially, Roseland was located at 51st Street and Broadway when it opened in 1919. During that period, the 3,200-capacity room was a hot spot for jazz and big-band music. The likes of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra headlined there multiple times, and ballroom dancing was also a big draw.

Roseland moved to its current 52nd Street location in 1956 and, at first, maintained its reputation for ballroom dancing — as well as being used for ice-skating and operating as a roller rink. But in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Roseland caught up with the times and started to host disco club nights and shows by modern rock, pop, dance and hip-hop acts (everyone from Red Hot Chili Peppers to the Rolling Stones to, last week, Lorde).

The sadness around Roseland Ballroom’s demise — five years short of its centennial, no less — is compounded by confusion. Owner Larry Ginsberg hasn’t made a public statement about what will happen to the site. Meanwhile, music-industry rumors vary from the building being demolished to make way for condos to an all-new Roseland opening in the future.

[...]

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #31
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Some kind of funky 60's modernist revival. You can tell that by the way that thick material frames the windows, it looks like someone is pining for the 20th century.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #32
Vertical_Gotham

Record air-rights sale in theater district just the beginninghttp://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...just-beginning

Quote:
Another significant project actually involves the Roseland Ballroom, which is now closed and will be replaced by an apartment tower. The owners were working to buy air rights from the Majestic and Broadhurst Theaters, the New York Times reported in December. The sales have not been reflected in city records yet.

Community Board 5, which must approve all the projects in the theater district, has been relatively open to development and air rights sales.

But the Roseland plan, while they approved it, seemed to unnerve some on the board.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #33
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Hideous. This thing won't age well at all. I suppose it's better than the current structure, but that's not saying much (I will miss the Roseland, though).

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #34
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2714

“Part of the reason this area is special in New York and really around the world is the entertainment value of the place,” said Raju Mann, who was servin as acting chairman of the board at the time of the vote. “So, as much as we're open to new development, we don't want it to come at the expense of what makes this place special.”

As much as I am in favor of this project (I love it! I think the design will be wonderful addition to the neighborhood), I feel like this is a totally reasonable statement. Normally these kinds of statements are ridiculous NIMBY bullshit but this is entirely reasonable.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #35
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Some kind of funky 60's modernist revival. You can tell that by the way that thick material frames the windows, it looks like someone is pining for the 20th century.
Totally. The white honeycomb pattern reminds me a lot of a midcentury office building in LA where I used to work, 5670 Wilshire:

Regus

ThatOneGuy liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #36
Vertical_Gotham

Permits Filed: 242 West 53rd Street (Read More in Link)
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/06/perm...rd-street.html

675'
62 fl
452,896 Sqft

Quote:
The first permits are up for the Roseland Ballroom redevelopment; the venue had its final show in April, and it will soon be replaced by a 62-story tower. CetraRuddy is the design architect
Quote:
242 West 53rd Street will measure 452,896 square feet, including 16,514 square feet of retail on the first two levels. The remainder will be divided between 426 units, and the development will become one of the largest residential towers in the neighborhood; the site spans through the block, and has another address at 239 West 52nd Street.
Quote:
Rising 675 feet to its roof, 242 West 53rd Street will also become one of the tallest residential towers in Midtown West; any additional ornament could push the total height to approximately 700′, which approaches ‘significant’ for Manhattan. While the tower would be iconic in most major cities, the extreme density of Midtown will block views from northern, eastern, and southern perspectives.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #37
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I really like this design for this area cause nothing really stands out. Not a tall one but another nice addition to the city skyline
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #38
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28297

Tall enough to stand out here, the neighbors are much smaller.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #39
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Hardly. There's way too many curves, but that's a good thing considering most Time Square's recent towers have been extremely disappointing.

RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #40
citybooster

Well, if YIMBY gives it hearty approval I'm impressed, and it certainly doesn't have the cookie cutter glassiness or boxiness of a lot of towers. Like the geometric curves and twists, adds great personality to an area that really needs some spark. Of course wish it were a bit taller but it's a really good addition to the Upper Midtown West skyline and most importantly, neighborhood!

Tags
239 w. 52nd st., 242 w. 53rd st., new york, nyc, roseland tower, times square