daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatör

Likes (Received): 8662

>>> timeless structures <<<

Structures that look like they weren't built by humans; free from where they are placed, any era, trend, "style" or idea... Basically buildings that look as if you could put them anywhere in the world (or universe) or anytime in the history of world (or universe) and they would still look imposing and unfitting. I think Tadao Ando is a pretty good example of what I'm trying say,

So if you have anything to share, do share!

Teshima Art Museum,

(Well, this one would look timeless when stripped off of its decorations and furnitures)

Anyways, hope you guys get the idea!

CitoyenNéerlandais, xanterra, Zaff liked this post
The Cake On BBQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

A lot of Oscar Niemeyer stuff is timeless. Many of his works are approaching 50-60 years old but they still look as modern as they did when they were built.

Mies Van Der Rohe also has some classics that are approaching 50 years old but still look modern.

Seagram Building is approaching 60 years old

Not to mention Fallingwater, which was designed almost 80 years ago.
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59217

I was rather thinking about a marvel like Chrysler Building, when reading this thread's title.

image hosted on flickr

Chrysler Building von lassi.kurkijarvi auf Flickr

Or the magical expressionist Chilehaus Hamburg.

Chilehaus von 96dpi auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1010353 von pengel122 auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Chilehaus, Hamburg von Glyn Lowe Photoworks, 1 Million Views, Thanks auf Flickr

Most of post-WW2 modernism isn't really timeless imho, though I agree Niemeyer's work definitely is one of a kind, visually. But it's not creating any urbanity, if you look at a place like Brasilia. It's a disgraceful "city", separating functions and people and giving you the look and feel you're nothing but a machine that just has to "work" in such a place.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; June 2nd, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #4
ThatOneGuy

Urbanity is a different issue entirely. I prefer modern and mid-century modern buildings for their linear emphasis, use of geometric forms, linear pattern and use of space. Most of the good examples seem timeless to me, due to their use of simple forms.

Most people see buildings like Chrysler and think 'historic building' but if you would show someone a photo of Fallingwater and tell them it's over 70 years old they would be quite surprised. I think that is 'timeless.'
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Likes (Received): 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

Most of post-WW2 modernism isn't really timeless imho, though I agree Niemeyer's work definitely is one of a kind, visually. But it's not creating any urbanity, if you look at a place like Brasilia. It's a disgraceful "city", separating functions and people and giving you the look and feel you're nothing but a machine that just has to "work" in such a place.
Niemeyer did not design Brasília. On the lack of urbanity you can blame Lucio Costa, though he only did a reinterpretation of what was believed to be right at the time - functionalist planning. Niemeyer's architecture before the new capital is rather urban, with a rare integration with landscape and city (and in fact the National Congress is as well). Banco Boavista, Hospital da Lagoa, Cavanelas and Canoas houses, Copan building... Only a few examples.
RPFigueiredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Most people see buildings like Chrysler and think 'historic building' but if you would show someone a photo of Fallingwater and tell them it's over 70 years old they would be quite surprised. I think that is 'timeless.'
Basically you're saying that only modernist architecture with simple geometrical shapes could be considered 'timeless'. I don't agree.

A timeless structure to my definition is a building that remains beautiful throughout the ages, no matter who's looking at it. Something like that could easily be said about most Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Classicist, Historicist, Art Nouveau and even Art Deco and Expressionist structures.

While many modernist buildings fail to age with grace and look rather aged today. Even when refurbished they often leave a feeling of "that's not fashionable anymore".

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Likes (Received): 624

I agree with you. Architecture as an art obviouslly expresses society in which it was built as well as its time.

The Chrysler is a prime example of art-deco, and one can feel the economic optmism the US Was going through when it was built. Modernist architecture is not well judged in this aspect, as most of what was built arent't exactly masterpieces - some untalented professionals borrowed the simplistic vocabulary to build cheaply.

Real modernist architecture is timeless. The villa-Savoye is 90 years old, and it's rather fresh because its aesthetic qualities are based on real problem solving and constructive technology. As mentioned before, many of Niemeyer's work are strinkingly modern to this day, though they clearly belong to mid-century.

Fake modernism, built out of fashion, doesn't age as well.
RPFigueiredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
ThatOneGuy

An ageless building: Glass Palace, Heerlen, Netherlands (1935)

Old December 10th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #9
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
An ageless building: Glass Palace, Heerlen, Netherlands (1935)

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
ThatOneGuy

So metaphors are banned from the forum?
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #11
ThatOneGuy

An awesome expressionist building from 1962: Eero Saarinen's terminal building at JFK Airport.

In all honesty, it's ahead of many buildings of even our time.

Zaff liked this post