daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #41
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Great shape! Looks indeed like far over 300m.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #42
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

I agree- Columbia Tower in the background is 980+ feet and is about 70 feet higher in elevation from this site on second ave. Not only does this tower make up for the 70 foot difference but it then goes on and dwarfs the Columbia Tower. It looks much closer to 400m than 300m to me.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #43
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22502

that model looks epic. Hopefully we'll get some details and see some preliminary renderings soon.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #44
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I think the developers intend to preserve that restaurant and (possibly?) incorporate some of the existing building(s) into the project:

Preserving the old gem (that desperately needs a restored cornice) may be a pathway towards approval in what could be a difficult process.

they need to preserve the entrance into the building. I am not sure if anything inside is as valuable as this no-classicism entrance. would be pretty good to save this.

I noticed another interesting building with big windows down the street from this one. is it also supposed to go under the wrecking ball?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #45
LCIII

They haven't made it clear yet if they intend to incorporate the facades already on-site or if they plan to demolish it all.
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #46
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleejian View Post
i disagree man. the space needle will lose its place with a supetall.

bad mistake imo.
Space needle stands well away from the tall buildings cluster. what is this all about? The only thing that will change is the horizon at which space needle will be seen from afar. basically another tall building will add to the cluster. there is nothing so drastic being proposed if you ask me.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #47
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post

This is Genslers proposal. Urban Visions is apparently still interviewing architects though. Regardless, gives an idea on height! A new tallest by a big margin!
looks like an unbuilt ASTORIA hotel building in NYC a few years back.

Quote:
They haven't made it clear yet if they intend to incorporate the facades already on-site or if they plan to demolish it all.
a pity. that would be very classy to have the old facades in the bottom with super modern glass slick tower on top.

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #48
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

is the 808 2nd Ave, Seattle with Vision Quest is also supposed to be demolished? seems like a superb building as well.

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #49
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Wow looks to be over 400 meters,

I really wonder how serious this proposal is... if anything like that were built that would be insane!
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #50
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
is the 808 2nd Ave, Seattle with Vision Quest is also supposed to be demolished? seems like a superb building as well.
Like I already said above, they haven't made it clear what, if anything, is being demolished...

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #51
LCIII

Here’s what Seattle’s tallest tower could look like, if it's built
Marc Stiles
Puget Sound Business Journal

In December, Seattle-based Urban Visions announced plans to develop one of the West Coast’s tallest buildings in downtown Seattle.

On Tuesday night, I got a glimpse of what that building might look like.

The Seattle office of global design company Gensler hosted the inaugural meeting of a local chapter of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, and Greg Smith, head of Urban Visions, was one of the speakers. In the back of the room was Gensler’s conceptual design of Urban Visions’ project that Smith is calling 888 Second Avenue. The model shows a building that towers above Seattle’s tallest building, the 76-story Columbia Center.

I emphasize that Gensler’s concept is just a proposal. Smith is talking to several design firms, including Gensler, but hasn’t hired anyone “quite yet,” he said.

There is no maximum zoned height for 888 Second. “The only restriction we have there is the glide path to Boeing Field,” Smith said.

After the meeting, he said Urban Visions had no input on Gensler’s proposed concept and said, “That was their doing.”

In December, Smith talked about building a 77-story project. On Wednesday he said his goal isn’t to necessarily build a tower that tall.

“My goal is to do a building we’re going to be proud of,” he said. “I think there is a tremendous opportunity to design a building of today.”

Smith, whose previous projects include the 20-story Millennium Tower at Second and Columbia and the 40-story Fourth and Madison Building, is focused on ensuring the base of the building helps revitalize the street scene. He envisions a project that will help fill in what he said is the missing link between Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square.

One way to do this would be with engaging retail and restaurants. The Metropolitan Grill, the well-known restaurant that currently operates on the site of 888 Second, would be part of the project, Smith and restaurant officials said in December.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat is a not-for-profit group for professionals who design, construct and operate tall buildings.
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #52
LCIII

iamtheSTIG, Gendo, desertpunk, xXFallenXx liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #53
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

What the fudge that's amazing.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #54
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Based on the latest render of the buildings being almost side by side, I edited it on to the skyscraperpage diagrams and it's roughly 410m

Ignore the horribly cropped patches though

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

JiminyCricket liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #55
LCIII

It's worth noting that there is a roughly 70 foot elevation change from where this project will be and from up the hill where the Columbia Tower is.
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #56
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffhauser View Post
From todays DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12063731.html

March 27, 2014
Greg Smith will name tower architect soon

Smith spoke at the first meeting of the Seattle Chapter of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.

By LYNN PORTER
Journal Staff Reporter

Developer Greg Smith of Urban Visions said his firm soon will select an architect to design a tower at Second Avenue and Marion Street in Seattle.

Smith has filed plans to build up to 77 stories, but he said on Tuesday he has not decided just how tall the 1.5 million- to 2 million-square-foot building will be.

There is no height limit for the site under the city's zoning code.

“The only height restriction we have there is the glide path to Boeing Field,” he said.

The firm has interviewed 10 architecture firms, in and out of the city, including Gensler. Smith said he wants to move forward on permits, but will not start building until at least 2018.

The tower will have retail, including the Metropolitan Grill restaurant. Above that could be all office or all housing or a mix of the two, and possibly a hotel. Smith views this project as the missing link between Pioneer Square and the Pike Place Market corridor on Second Avenue.

Smith's firm is also planning three transit oriented projects: a 200,000-square-foot office building in Pioneer Square, a 39-story apartment project at Second Avenue and Pike Street., and an 1.5 million-square-foot “very progressive” campus near CenturyLink and Safeco fields. NBBJ is the architect on that campus, which the firm calls Stadium East.

Smith said most likely it will house a large technology firm that wants to be near transit and have an identity apart from Seattle's South Lake Union neighborhood. “It's the front door to the city of Seattle,” he said.

He said he is waiting for the right tenant before building Stadium East.

“I haven't developed anything in awhile,” Smith said, but he has been acquiring key pieces of land and waiting for the right time. “I think the time is getting close.” Smith spoke at the inaugural meeting of the Seattle Chapter of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat held in Gensler's Seattle office. He also spoke after the meeting.

He said many older office buildings are outdated for today's users. Firms now want about half as much space per employee as companies did in the past, and that means restrooms, elevators and power supplies are inadequate.

“The buildings that are old and tired are going to be hard-pressed to compete,” he said.

Sharon Coleman, director of real estate development for Vulcan, was also on the CTBUH panel. She said recent moves by the city have increased the risk for developers.

She pointed to a full-block development proposed by R.C. Hedreen Co. at Ninth and Stewart, and a Whole Foods mixed-use project in West Seattle as examples. Hedreen has proposed including affordable housing in its project — a rare move by developers of commercial projects, who mostly opt to pay into an affordable housing fund to get added density.

Seattle officials have told The Seattle Times that Hedreen should be required to provide other public benefits — besides just the affordable housing — to get the city's approval for an alley vacation on the site. But in the Times article, Hedreen said putting the affordable housing in the project would cost it more than twice as much as paying into the fund.

Hedreen has recently submitted plans to the city for an alternative design that would leave part of the block undeveloped if it doesn't get the alley vacation.

In the Whole Foods project planned for 4755 Fauntleroy Way S.W., former Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn urged the city Department of Transportation to recommend against an alley vacation because he said the project failed to meet the public benefit requirement for such vacations. The objection was related to Whole Foods' use of nonunion labor.

Coleman said Vulcan has provided public benefits for alley vacations in some of its projects — and the results have been good. But Vulcan will probably not ask for vacations in the future, she said, because of the uncertainty the city has infused into the process, making it not about land use, but about other things.

Coleman said developers can't predict how the city will decide on alley vacations. “It could be anything in the world.”

Coleman also said Vulcan is concerned that the city plans to raise fees developers must pay into the low income housing fund to get extra density in projects downtown, because that also adds risk to development.

“If the cost of zoning goes out of whack, people won't use it,” she said. “In fact, a number of developers aren't.”

Donald W. Davies, a senior principal with Magnusson Klemencic Associates, told the audience that the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat was founded 1969 with a focus on urban areas, “but it's evolved a long ways beyond who's got the tallest building in the world and what does that mean.” The group's goal now is “to promote urban density as a sustainable and responsible way to grow our communities.”

CTBUH has 800,000 members worldwide, he said.

The not-for-profit is a resource for people who design, build and operate tall buildings. It provides data on buildings and does research on things such as the life cycle of very tall buildings. It also picks the best tall building in the world each year and holds events.

Dennis Rehill, who leads Gensler's commercial office building practice in Seattle, is the city's representative for the local CTBUH chapter. At the event Tuesday, he said he would like the chapter to not just focus on building tall, but to look at the need for density around transit to accommodate an increasing population.

“It's not really about height. It's about putting density in the right spot,” he said after the meeting.

He described a project he worked on at AS+GG Architecture: designing a city in China for 100,000 people within one square kilometer. The project is now in master planning. The design calls for using much less land than is typical and having lots of open space. The tallest building would be 70 stories, but most would only be five or six. Tall buildings were sited so they would not affect daylight and ventilation on the street or in neighboring buildings. All residents would be near shops, parks and schools, and could walk or take public transportation to the city center.

He also showed a photo of the CCTV Headquarters in Beijing: CTBUH's Best Tall Building Worldwide for 2013. In the photo taken from his hotel room, you can barely see the building because of air pollution. Rehill said on some days you can't see it at all.
Article posted today.
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #57
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Article posted today.
interesting. I counted that given 77 floors by 15 ft a floor we come to 1155 ft = 352,5 meters. plus the lobby and etc. I'd say it is about 380 meters. 410 is a stretch it seems, but who knows, I hope I am wrong. Seattle needs another tower.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #58
LCIII

That model doesn't necessarily represent 77 floors and could have an architectural top that extends well beyond the last floor.

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #59
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

This tower is gorgeous!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #60
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I think it's just below 400m.