daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Thread Tools
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 1

What degree would one need for a job in the transportation ministry?

Some background; I live in Ontario, Canada. I'm 24, I graduated with a Bachelors in English. Totally unrelated to transportation, I know. I'd be looking for a job with the ministry of transportation, either federally or provincially. Not necessarily within Ontario; BC and Alberta are other provinces I'd be willing to relocate to. I am looking to see what degree could be useful for attaining such a career. Specifically involving planning and deciding upon routes for highways and such. Studying traffic volumes, doing research of route plans, weighing cost versus benefit, analysing the strategic importance of routes, etc. Whether it be a masters degree or a college course for university graduates.
AbstractEntity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Road user
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19426

Transportation engineering (traffic engineering in some countries) is the way to go. You can either work at private consultancies or at the provincial ministry. I don't know how much of a federal transportation ministry there is in Canada, I believe most day-to-day planning is done by the provinces.

Civil engineering is more technical and includes the technical designs of a bridge, tunnel or roadways. Transporatation engineers often work with public (elected) officials, civil servants, geotechnical engineers, etcetera. Common fields to work in as a transportation engineer is traffic modeling, highway design (common with AutoCAD), noise and air quality studies, traffic safety, bicycle policy, ITS, etc.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #3
No idea, well an opinion
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Viersen (NRW)
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 19

As a politcian, you are elected into an office. You don't need any degree to become a state secretary. In a ministry, there are professionals working out all the stuff ChrisZwolle mentioned.

Of course, it will be usefeul if you as the responsible person know what they're are talking abaout.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium