daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
pbrdpbrd

Likes (Received): 1396

Nogales U.S.A. - Nogales Mexico

In Southren Arizona the border is shared by two Nogales cities...... one on the U.S. side and the other on the Mexican side......

Some photos I took while going to the dentist on the Mexican side....

View of Mexico from the U.S. side:

Town of Nogales Mexico photo taken from the U.S. side:

Walking towards the vorder on the U.S. side:

Getting closed to the border proper:

Some of the last U.S. shops before crossing into Mexico:

Already in Mexico, photo of the steell fence dividing the 2 cities:

Another view of the fence, on the other side the U.S.A.:

The streets of Nogales Mexico:

Mexican border building:

Main street of Nogales Mexico:

Another view of Nogales Mexico:

Manitopiaaa, Pryde Hart, geometarkv liked this post
pbrdpbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
pbrdpbrd

Hillside full of houses in Mexico:

Lots of shops to change money:

Taco stand right next to modernist public building:

Shoe polishing stand at one of the squares:

Pedestrian street in Nogales Mexico:

Hotel building:

City streets:

More city streets:

Hillside dwellings:

Commercial street:

Burger King on Mexican side:

Those buses are the transit system:

The architecture of the place:

Mexican traffic jam:

Street being repaved:

Union Pacific U.S. ftright train on the Mexican side:

Pedestrian bridge:

Street stands:

Public stage celebratin "La Raza":

Street overpass:

Pryde Hart, geometarkv liked this post
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #3
pbrdpbrd

Time to go back to the U.S., houses on the other side of fence are Nogales U.S.A.:

The pink building at the end is the U.S. customs building, the fence in front is the border between U.S.A. and Mexico:

Back in Nogales U.S.A. ( I made it through!!!!)

Commercial buildings on U.S. side:

U.S. customs building seen from the U.S. side:

Nogales U.S.A.:

Row of shops catering to Mexican day shoppers that come to the U.S.:

Main street in Nogales U.S.A.:

More of Main street:

Pryde Hart, geometarkv liked this post
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

Amazing, very nice photos from Nogales
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

So you drove by my house (Green Valley) and you didn't wave.

I don't go to Nogales so much any more since my favorite restaurant--Elvira's--moved north of the border to Tubac. But several good places remain in Nogales. La Roca is one--built into the hollowed out rock of a cliff.

My neighbors also go there to the dentist but I have dental insurance: What they pay cuts the cost to me of a US dentist down about to what I would pay in Mexico but they won't cover the bill from a Mexican dentist. From what I hear, though, the treatment over there is very good.

Nice (and familiar) pictures.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

PS: I'm not sure which line runs that railroad. The names on the cars don't mean much though, of course, UP does run right through Tucson so it's probably their line. There's a Ford plant a few more miles south from Nogales and I think they haul Fords north on that line. I hear the lonely train whistles late every night if I go outside though--the line is very active.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15134

The US-Mexican border is probably one of the most interesting places in the World. Two totally different places separated by a fence.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10382

Is Nogales, Mex. safe? I've heard scary things about Sonora.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #9
pbrdpbrd

They scare You on the U.S.A. All the time

When you watch the news in the U.S.A. they try to scare you not to go into Mexico. then you go to a theatre in the U.S. and a loonie might shoot you in there... go figure......

Actually you see very little Americans crossing into Mexico. Most of the crossers are Mexicans living in Mexico or Mexicans living in the U.S. who go back home. I have gone many times and never had any problems.

I paid for a crown on the Mexican side $150.0 dollars some co-workers in the U.S. told me they paid $800.0 for a crown in the U.S. so all in all I saved a lot of money.

Also dental attention in the U.S. is comprehensive... they check your medical conditions, x-rays everywhre, etc. etc. In Mexico is kind of far west style... come in seat in get what you want pay and get out... they do not even ask for your name.

manuelmonge liked this post
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
pbrdpbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
PS: I'm not sure which line runs that railroad. The names on the cars don't mean much though, of course, UP does run right through Tucson so it's probably their line. There's a Ford plant a few more miles south from Nogales and I think they haul Fords north on that line. I hear the lonely train whistles late every night if I go outside though--the line is very active.
Actually they have an incredible amount of U.S. factories on the Mexican side. You see freight trains crossing the border all day long. I checked the tracks and they have a pair of steel gates that open and close every time a train crosses the border.
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #11
paul62
Yonner

Likes (Received): 25800

It`s educational to me this, and fantastic to see. Great shots.

[email protected]
Greater Manchester,UK. 2012 - 2015
Liverpool,UK.
Leeds,UK.
Bradford,UK.

paul62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Pryde Hart
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

What an interesting piece this post is.
Pryde Hart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Is Nogales, Mex. safe? I've heard scary things about Sonora.
Hate to be Debbie Downer but there have been "incidents" in Nogales. Still, it's nothing like Juarez. In general, Sonora has been spared a lot of the Mexican gang warfare. Personally I would not at all be afraid to visit in the daytime. I might be a little more nervous after dark.

The way most Americans do it is to park on the US side--there are huge parking lots a short walk from the crossing point--and walk across into Mexico. The commercial area of Nogales is not terribly large and you can walk pretty much anywhere you might want to shop or eat (or get your teeth fixed).
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdpbrd View Post
you see very little Americans crossing into Mexico. Most of the crossers are Mexicans living in Mexico or Mexicans living in the U.S. who go back home. I have gone many times and never had any problems.

I paid for a crown on the Mexican side $150.0 dollars some co-workers in the U.S. told me they paid $800.0 for a crown in the U.S. so all in all I saved a lot of money.

Also dental attention in the U.S. is comprehensive... they check your medical conditions, x-rays everywhre, etc. etc. In Mexico is kind of far west style... come in seat in get what you want pay and get out... they do not even ask for your name.
Lots of people from my area used to be regular visitors to Nogales but the violence of the last 4 or 5 years scared them off. Another thing is the Medicare drug benefit. When Medicare didn't cover drugs, many seniors from southern AZ went to Nogales to buy all their medicines for maybe ⅓ the price. They don't need to any more, but that's why there's still plenty of "farmacias" in Nogales.

Another thing is that you didn't used to need a passport. Americans could cross to eat or shop and return showing just a driver's license. That won't work now. You need a passport or border crossing card. Many seniors in my town down have one.

$800 is about right for a crown or bridge in the US. My insurance pays half cutting it to $400. I guess it would still be cheaper to go to Mexico but not enough to force me to do it yet.

A good friend does go and he says the dentist he sees there is US-trained and his office has all the latest equipment.
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #15
pbrdpbrd

The further you go from the border the cheaper it gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
Lots of people from my area used to be regular visitors to Nogales but the violence of the last 4 or 5 years scared them off. Another thing is the Medicare drug benefit. When Medicare didn't cover drugs, many seniors from southern AZ went to Nogales to buy all their medicines for maybe ⅓ the price. They don't need to any more, but that's why there's still plenty of "farmacias" in Nogales.

Another thing is that you didn't used to need a passport. Americans could cross to eat or shop and return showing just a driver's license. That won't work now. You need a passport or border crossing card. Many seniors in my town down have one.

$800 is about right for a crown or bridge in the US. My insurance pays half cutting it to $400. I guess it would still be cheaper to go to Mexico but not enough to force me to do it yet.

A good friend does go and he says the dentist he sees there is US-trained and his office has all the latest equipment.
I used to go to a dentist that was located 5 blocks from the border. They quote the price in U.S. Dollars and they take credit cards. However, after using him twice I felt I could do better (I mean cheaper).....

So in my last trip i walked 15 blocks from the border.... now the dentist quoted me the price in Mexican pesos and it was a lot lower than my previous dentist. Obviously he caters to the local people..... good!.... that is what I wanted... dirt cheap dental care.....
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:53 AM   #16
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 443

interesting city....
BTW, what's the dominant language used in the American side? English or Spanish?
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:04 AM   #17
pbrdpbrd

On the American side Spanish dominates for a few blocks... then Is all very Anglo and English dominates. Actually I went to a Mc Donal'ds that is right by the border on the U.S. side and when I ordered in English they were very uncomfortable... most transactions are conducted in Spanish.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM   #18
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Looks a bit like Laredo where I went about 10 years ago. I too parked in a big lot in the US side and walked to the Mexican side. That was pre 9/11 and pre-drug wars so everything was easier. Sex tourism seemed to be the big thing back then.

Personally, I'm not so thrilled with the border area. It seems like a mix of the worst of both areas. Very crass.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #19
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6931

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdpbrd View Post
When you watch the news in the U.S.A. they try to scare you not to go into Mexico. then you go to a theatre in the U.S. and a loonie might shoot you in there... go figure......

Actually you see very little Americans crossing into Mexico. Most of the crossers are Mexicans living in Mexico or Mexicans living in the U.S. who go back home. I have gone many times and never had any problems.

THIS
also add high schools, uni, malls.....
manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Interesting! Didn't know about these twin cities. They don't look so different to each, other, I noticed there are many American cars on the Mexican side for example, and some parts look Mexican on the American side. I guess that's common with border towns.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote