daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:54 PM   #3581
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Abbazia di San Clemente, Casauria - Abruzzo

The Abbey of San Clemente a Casauria is an abbey in the territory of Castiglione a Casauria, in the province of Pescara, Abruzzo, central Italy.

The abbey was founded in 871 by Louis II, grand-grandson of Charlemagne, after a vow made during his imprisonment in the Duchy of Benevento. Initially entitled to the Holy Trinity, it was dedicated to St. Clement when the latter's remain were brought here in 872.

In its history the abbey was plundered several times: by the Saracens in 920 and repeatedly by the Norman count Malmozzetto between 1076 and 1097. After this destructive episode, the Benedictine abbot Grimoald promoted the rebuilding of the church, which was reconsecrated in 1105. However, the works ended only in the late 12th century under abbot Leonate (1152–82, cardinal from 1170).

The façade is precede by a portico with columns and capitals; under it are three portals, the middle and larger one having a lintel and a tympanum with sculpted stories of St. Clement and of the abbey's history. In the centre of the tympanum is the figure of San Clemente in his Papal clothing, with Saints Fabio and Cornelius at his right side and Abbot Leonate, to his left, presenting a model of the rebuilt abbey to its patron.

The bronze doors were made (in 1191) when Abbot Iole was in charge and are divided into 72 rectangular panels depicting various images such as crosses, abbots, rose patterns and 14 castles (and their estates) that were subjects of the Abbey.

Inside the (now deconsecrated) church there are a beautiful paschal candelabrum and a massive ambo dating from the 11 hundreds.

The configuration is a nave and two aisles with semicircular apse. The high altar is a Palaeo-Christian sepulchre, surmounted by a 14th-century ciborium. Next to this is a large marble casket containing the relics of San Clemente.

In the crypt two apse railings divide the primitive church from that rebuilt the Benedictines in the 12th century.


Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria (55) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di LINO CORRADI (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

DSC_3813 Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria. by angelo appoloni, su Flickr


SanClementeCasauriaPortal [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Tatzl (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

DSCN8867 by Pierfrancesco Burrato, su Flickr


AbbadiaSanClemente [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], by VulkanoVulkano at it.wikipedia, from Wikimedia Commons

DSCN8863 by Pierfrancesco Burrato, su Flickr


Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria (31) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Casalmaggiore Provincia (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

DSC_0246 by Andrea Carloni, su Flickr
__________________

JMGA196, franciscoc, Titus-Pullo liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:08 PM   #3582
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Abbazia di Chiaravalle della Colomba, Alseno - Emilia Romagna

The Abbey of Chiaravalle della Colomba is a 12th-century Cistercian monastic complex near the town of Alseno, in the Province of Piacenza, Region of Emilia-Romagna, Italy.

The founding documents for the Abbey date to 11 April 1136, when Arduino, the bishop of Piacenza, granted the monastery its lands. The abbey was also patronized by the Marquises Oberto Pallavicino and Corrado Cavalcabò. One tradition holds that the name Colomba or pigeon was attached due to a legend that a white pigeon had selected the site. But more likely the title Santa Maria della Colomba derives from the pigeon used to symbolize the annunciation of Mary's pregnancy. The abbey was founded soon after the other Abbey of Chiaravalle, also called Chiaravalle Milanese was founded near Milan.

The monastery was sacked and burned in 1248 by Frederick II of Swabia during his siege of Parma. In 1769, the abbey was suppressed by the Duke of Parma, and the remaining monks were moved to the Abbey of San Martino de' Bocci. The order was able to repurchase the abbey some 8 years later. However, by 1805, Napoleon's rule had again led to suppression of the order. In 1810, the surrounding properties were assigned to the Civil Hospital of Piacenza. The archive, library, and much of the property was dispersed and sold.

Cistercian monks were only to return in 1937; and the poperty has joint ownership with the state. The cloistered monks maintain limited agricultural efforts.

The church was erected during the 12th and 13th centuries, but was refurbished during the 15th century. The belltower was added in the 16th century. In the 19th century, restorations encountered buildings in near ruin. The church has Gothic architecture and Romanesque architecture elements. It retains the tomb of Oberto Pallavacino (died 1148). The square 13th-century cloister has a proliferation of arched openings, flanked by rose marble paired columns.

ABBAZIA DI CHIARAVALLE DELLA COLOMBA - Alseno (Pc) by RobertoGiancristoforo, su Flickr

abbazia by maddalena, su Flickr


Abbazia di Chiaravalle della Colomba - Navata [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by pollobarca2 (R0014912rt), from Wikimedia Commons

ABBAZIA DI CHIARAVALLE DELLA COLOMBA - Alseno (Pc) by Roberto Giancristoforo, su Flickr

Il chiostro di Chiaravalle della Colomba by Antonio Pedroni, su Flickr

il quinto elemento by italo losero, su Flickr

ABBAZIA DI CHIARAVALLE DELLA COLOMBA - Alseno (Pc) by Roberto Giancristoforo, su Flickr
__________________

JMGA196, franciscoc, Roy Corduroy liked this post

Last edited by FAK; March 22nd, 2017 at 09:21 PM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #3583
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Abbazia di Chiaravalle, Chiaravalle Milanese - Lombardia

The Abbey of Santa Maria di Rovegnano, Chiaravalle Milanese (Latin: Sanctæ Mariæ Clarævallis Mediolanensis) is a Cistercian monastic complex in the comune of Milan, Lombardy, northern Italy. The borgo that has developed round the abbey was once an independent commune called Chiaravalle Milanese, now included in Milan and referred to as the Chiaravalle district.

The abbey was founded on 22 January 1135 as a daughterhouse of Clairvaux; it is one of the first examples of Gothic architecture in Italy, although maintaining some late Romanesque influences.


AbbaziaChiaravalle [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by The original uploader was Yoruno at Italian Wikipedia (Transferred from it.wikipedia to Commons.), from Wikimedia Commons

Abbazia di chiaravalle-23 08 12- 04 by stefano Merli, su Flickr

in the silence by Nick Photography, su Flickr

Abbazia di Chiaravalle by Sergio Ramari, su Flickr

Abbazia di Chiaravalle by Sergio Ramari, su Flickr

Abbazia di Chiaravalle by Sergio Locatelli, su Flickr

P1040880 by ezioman, su Flickr

Abbazia di Chiaravalle by Sergio Ramari, su Flickr
__________________

franciscoc, Roy Corduroy, Titus-Pullo liked this post

Last edited by FAK; March 22nd, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:39 PM   #3584
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra, Tolentino - Marche

Chiaravalle Abbey, Fiastra is a Cistercian abbey situated between Tolentino and Urbisaglia, in the Marche region. It is one of the best preserved Cistercian abbeys in Italy. It is surrounded by a large nature reserve.
The church is dedicated to Santa Maria di Chiaravalle di Fiastra. Its architecture is in Romanesque-Burgundian style, and characterized by simplicity and austerity. Building materials for its construction were taken from the nearby Roman settlement of Urbs Salvia.

Urbisaglia, Abbazia di Santa Maria di Chiaravalle di Fiastra by Marche Tourism, su Flickr

Marche, 2014 by B Plessi, su Flickr

Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra by pienw, su Flickr

DSC_0957 by Andrea Carloni, su Flickr

Tolentino - Abbazia di Fiastra by gengish skan, su Flickr


Fiastra, Abbazia di Chiaravalle 05 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], di Mattana (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

Abbazia di Fiastra by gengish skan, su Flickr


Abbazia di Chiaravalle di Fiastra (MC) by Carmelo Raineri, su Flickr
__________________

JMGA196, franciscoc, Roy Corduroy liked this post

Last edited by FAK; March 22nd, 2017 at 10:44 PM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #3585
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Certosa di Paradigna, Parma - Emilia Romagna


Abbey of Valserena, mistakenly called Charterhouse of Paradigna, is a former Cistercian abbey situated on the northern outskirts of Parma, in the locality Paradigna . Also known as "abbey of St. Martin of Bocci", he was deconsecrated in the Napoleonic era.

The name of Charterhouse is a misnomer, since it never belonged to the Carthusian monks. It housed instead a community of Cistercian monks from the abbey of Chiaravalle della Colomba .

The church, with a Latin cross, is in Lombard Gothic style; In the presbytery there are frescoes by Cesare Baglione. The interior has three aisles with a cross vault, the pillars are octagonal and hold pointed arches. Inside the church there were formerly a valuable altar, a fresco by Parmigianino on the presbyter and several other paintings. All the works of art were transferred after the desecration at the Academy of Fine Arts in Parma. The facade has undergone a makeover that goes back to the eighteenth century.

Since 2007 belongs to the University of Parma, and is home to the university studies and archive communications center

La certosa di Paradigna - Parma by Massimo Cavatorta, su Flickr

La Certosa di Paradigna - Parma by Massimo Cavatorta, su Flickr


Certosa Paradigna [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], by Marco Fallini (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


CSAC - corte d'ingresso, abbazia di Paradigna [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Marcopaoloscotti (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

In volo sul Centro Studi e Archivio della Comunicazione (CSAC) e la Certosa di Paradigna Foto di @fabiofurlotti #parma #emiliaromagna #italia #italy #volgoparma #volgoemiliaromagna #volgoitalia #volgosocial #paradigna #certosadiparadigna #abbaziadivalsere by Paolo Mori, su Flickr
__________________

JMGA196, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #3586
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Battistero di San Giovanni in Laterano, Roma - Lazio

The domed octagonal Lateran Baptistery stands somewhat apart from the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Rome, to which it has become joined by later construction. This baptistery was founded by Pope Sixtus III in 440, perhaps on an earlier structure, for a legend grew up that Constantine the Great had been baptized there and enriched the structure. However it is more likely that if he was baptized it was in the Eastern part of the Roman Empire and possibly by an Arian bishop. This baptistry was for many generations the only baptistery in Rome, and its octagonal structure, centered upon the large octagonal basin for full immersions, provided a model for others throughout Italy, and even an iconic motif of illuminated manuscripts, "The fountain of Life".

Around the central area, where is the basin of the font, an octagon is formed by eight porphyry columns, with marble Corinthian capitals and entablature of classical form. On the ceiling of the Baptistry is the story of the Battle of the Milvian Bridge (312). An ambulatory surrounds the font and outer walls form a larger octagon. Attached to one side, towards the Lateran basilica, is a fine porch with two porphyry columns and richly carved capitals, bases and entablatures.

Its plain brick exterior is embellished with a frieze designed by Francesco Borromini in 1657, incorporating the arms of Pope Alexander VII.

1854 2004 San Giovanni in Laterano by Alvaro de Alvariis, su Flickr

567 Baptistery, Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano by Thomas The Baguette, su Flickr


View from the open side chapel on the Lateran Basilica [Public domain], di Szilas (photo by Szilas), da Wikimedia Commons


Detail of the Lateran Baptistery [Public domain], di Szilas (photo by Szilas), da Wikimedia Commons


Center of the Lateran Baptistery-5 [Public domain], di Szilas (photo by Szilas), da Wikimedia Commons

585 Baptistery, Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano by Thomas The Baguette, su Flickr


Baptisterium Lateransbasilika 01 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], di Florian Decker, Messdiener Winterbach (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Baptisterio Letrán 01 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Miguel Hermoso Cuesta (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Detail of a wall and the ceiling of the Lateran Baptistery [Public domain], di Szilas (photo by Szilas), da Wikimedia Commons
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #3587
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Sepolcro degli Scipioni, Roma - Lazio

The Tomb of the Scipios (Latin sepulcrum Scipionum), also called the hypogaeum Scipionum, was the common tomb of the patrician Scipio family during the Roman Republic for interments between the early 3rd century BC and the early 1st century AD. Then it was abandoned and within a few hundred years its location was lost.

The tomb was rediscovered twice, the last time in 1780 and stands under a hill by the side of the road behind a wall at numbers 9 and 12 Via di Porta San Sebastiano, Rome, where it can be visited by the public for a small admission fee. The location was privately owned on discovery of the tomb but was bought by the city in 1880 at the suggestion of Rodolfo Amedeo Lanciani. A house was subsequently built in a previous vineyard there. The current main entrance to the tomb is an arched opening in the side of the hill, not the original main entrance. After discovery the few surviving remains were moved and interred with honor elsewhere or unknowingly discarded. The moveables—the one whole sarcophagus and the fragments of other sarcophagi—were placed on display in the hall of the Pio-Clementino Museum at the Vatican in 1912. The sepulchre is a rock-cut chambered tomb on the interior, with the remains of a late façade on the exterior.

During the republic the tomb stood in a cemetery for notables and their families located in the angle between the Via Appia and the Via Latina on a connecting road joining the two just past the branch point. It was originally outside the city not far from where the Via Appia passed through the Servian Wall at the Porta Capena. In subsequent centuries new construction changed the landmarks of the vicinity entirely. The wall was expanded to become the Aurelian Wall through which the Porta Appia admitted the Via Appia. The cemetery was now inside the city. The Appian gate today is called the Porta San Sebastiano. Before it is the so-called Arch of Drusus, actually a section of aqueduct. The Via Appia at that location was renamed to the Via di Porta San Sebastiano. It passes through the Parco degli Scipioni where the cemetery once was located. The via is open to traffic. Most of it is lined by walls

Sepolcro degli Scipioni (27) by Milko, su Flickr

Sepolcro degli Scipioni by Gianni Alemanno, su Flickr

Sepolcro degli Scipioni by @@@@@, su Flickr

Sepolcro degli Scipioni by @@@@@, su Flickr

Sepolcro di Cornelio Barbato Scipione - Sepolcro degli Scipioni - Via di San Sebastiano - Roma by spalluzza, su Flickr

tn_DSC_1164 by ilconsiglio archeologico, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #3588
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Contignano, Toscana

foto aerea 05 by Proloco Contignano, su Flickr

foto aerea 01 by Proloco Contignano, su Flickr

foto aerea 03 by Proloco Contignano, su Flickr

Contignano, Toscana - Italy by Salvatore Filippone, su Flickr

IMG_7029 by aurelio candido, su Flickr

IMG_7036 by aurelio candido, su Flickr

IMG_7013 by aurelio candido, su Flickr

IMG_7054 by aurelio candido, su Flickr
__________________

JMGA196, Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #3589
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Italian Landscapes

Greetings from Mars by rockershot, su Flickr

valley by cranci, su Flickr

Lago di Val Viola by Luca, su Flickr

Val d'Ayas in autunno by Andrea Vigliocco, su Flickr

Cortina - Dolomiti by Beppe, su Flickr

Premana d'autunno by * Ylv *, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #3590
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Necropoli di Populonia - Toscana

The necropolis of Populonia is one of the most important monuments of the Etruscan civilization. It is located in the Gulf of Baratti, and consists of several sites dating back to different times of Etruscan history. The finds of the necropolis are on display in the museum's private collection Gasparri, Alta Populonia.

The necropolis areas that is possible to visit in the Archaeological Park of Baratti and Populonia are the necropolis of San Cerbone - Casone and Poggio of Porcareccia, dating mainly to Orientalizing period (seventh century BC) and Archaic (sixth century BC) with some more burials tarde, and the necropolis of the Caves, dating back to the Hellenistic period (IV - II century BC)

Necropoli delle Grotte ( Necropolis of the Caves)
In the necropolis of the Caves, excavated in recent years and still under study, are visible "chamber underground tombs " (many of them already violated in antiquity or even recently) dug into the sandstone, and other smaller tombs (burial or cremation). There were also found simpler tombs, that in some cases have also yielded interesting grave goods. These graves date back all the Hellenistic period (IV - II century BC), and some of them are carved in sandstone quarries used in previous periods.

2016-05-13 05-28 Toskana 515 Populonia Antica, Necropoli delle Grotte by Allie_Caulfield, su Flickr


Populonia grotte [Public domain], by it:user:Roberto Zanasi (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Necropolis of San Cerbone - Casone and Poggio of Porcareccia

Necropoli di Populonia by Paolo Bellini, su Flickr


Populonia Necropoli di San Cerbone Tomba [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], di AlMare (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

Necropoli di Populonia by Paolo Bellini, su Flickr


{{Information |Description=Populonia, Italy. "Tumulo" etruscan tomb, known as "tomba dei carri". |Source=own work |Date=2006-07-15 |Author=it:user:Roberto Zanasi |Permission=public domain |other_versions= }}

populonia 012 by ondapi, su Flickr


Populonia Necropoli di San Cerbone Tumulus [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], di AlMare (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Populonia Necropoli di San Cerbone Sarcophagus [CC BY-SA 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], di AlMare (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3591
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Chiesa di San Pietro in Banchi, Genova - Liguria


Genoa 1 2013 [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], di Bengt Nyman (Flickr: DSC_1090-1), da Wikimedia Commons

chiesa di S. Pietro in Banchi, Genova by Xavier de Jauréguiberry, su Flickr

Chiesa di San Pietro in Banchi, Genova 2015-03-06 144258 by AnZanov, su Flickr

Chiesa di San Pietro in Banchi, Genova 2015-03-06 144243 by AnZanov, su Flickr


Ceiling - San Pietro in Banchi (Genoa) - DSC01258 [CC0], di Daderot (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons
__________________

The Eagle, Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #3592
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Via Krupp, Capri - Campania

Via Krupp is a historic switchback paved footpath on the island of Capri, connecting the Charterhouse of San Giacomo and the Gardens of Augustus area with Marina Piccola. Commissioned by German industrialist Friedrich Alfred Krupp, the path covers an elevation difference of about 100 m.

Built between 1900 and 1902, ostensibly Via Krupp was a connection for Krupp between his luxury hotel, Grand Hotel Quisisana, and Marina Piccola, where his marine biology research vessel lay at anchor. Secretly however, this path also conveyed him to Grotta di Fra Felice a grotto where sex orgies with local youths are supposed to have taken place. When the scandal surfaced, Krupp was asked to leave Italy in 1902.


Via Krupp by André Yabiku, su Flickr

Via Krupp 03 by Stefano Petrucci, su Flickr

Via Krupp, Capri by Jerry Lai, su Flickr

Via Krupp, Capri, Italia by Hervé Simon, su Flickr

Via Krupp by d90fz8, su Flickr

Capri - Via Krupp to Marina Piccola 2 by Le Monde1, su Flickr

IMG_9217 by Shirshendu Sengupta, su Flickr
__________________
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #3593
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Chiesa di San Zaccaria , Venezia - Veneto

The Church of San Zaccaria is a 15th-century former monastic church in central Venice, Italy. It is a large edifice, located in the Campo San Zaccaria, just off the waterfront to the southeast of Piazza San Marco and St Mark's Basilica. It is dedicated to St. Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.

The first church on the site was founded by Doge Giustiniano Participazio in the early 9th century to house the body of the saint to which it is dedicated, a gift of the Byzantine Emperor Leo V the Armenian, which it contains under the second altar on the right. The remains of various doges are buried in the crypt of the church. The original church was rebuilt in the 1170s (when the present campanile was built) and was replaced by a Gothic church in the 15th century. The remains of this building still stand, as the present church was built beside and not over it.

The present church was built between 1458 and 1515. Antonio Gambello was the original architect, who started the building in the Gothic style, but the upper part of the facade with its arched windows and its columns, and the upper parts of the interior were completed by Mauro Codussi in early Renaissance style seventy years later. The facade is a harmonious Venetian mixture of late-Gothic and Renaissance styles.


San Zaccaria (3857099704) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], di Leandro Neumann Ciuffo (San Zaccaria), da Wikimedia Commons


View of the interior - San Zaccaria - Venice 2016 (2) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di José Luiz

2016-10-20 Venedig 8542 Chiesa di San Zaccaria by Michael Walter, su Flickr

2016-10-20 Venedig 8545 Chiesa di San Zaccaria by Michael Walter, su Flickr


Chiesa di San Zaccaria Venezia - Altare [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens, da Wikimedia Commons


Chiesa di San Zaccaria Venezia - San Zaccaria in Gloia - Gerolama Pellegrini - Affresco del catino absidale [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens, da Wikimedia Commons

2016-10-20 Venedig 8524 Chiesa di San Zaccaria by Michael Walter, su Flickr

Venedig, Chiesa di San Zaccaria, Cappella di San Tarasio, Triptychon der hl. Sabina (St. Zachary's Church, Tarasio Chapel, triptych of St. Sabina) by HEN-Magonza, su Flickr


Antonio Vivarini - Stefano da Sant’Agnese – Polittico della Vigine [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Antonio Vivarini - Giovanni d'Alemagna - Polittioc del corpo di Cristo [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

Venedig, Chiesa di San Zaccaria, Cappella di San Tarasio, Polyptychon des Erlösers, der auferstandene Christus (St. Zachary's Church, Tarasio Chapel, polyptych of the Body of Christ, Christ resurrected) by HEN-Magonza, su Flickr


Crypt of San Zaccaria (Venice) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #3594
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli, Venezia - Veneto

Santa Maria dei Miracoli is a church in the sestiere of Cannaregio, in Venice, Italy. Also known as the "marble church", it is one of the best examples of the early Venetian Renaissance including colored marble, a false colonnade on the exterior walls (pilasters), and a semicircular pediment.
This church was built by reusing all the remains of the marble cladding of the Basilica of San Marco. The organisation "Save Venice" restored the church over a period of ten years, from 1987 to 1997 (they had estimated as period of two years). The marble cladding contained 14 percent of salts, and was on the point of bursting. All marble cladding was removed, and cleaned in stainless steel tanks, in a solution of distilled water. The restoration was calculated to cost 1 million dollars, the final cost was 4 million dollars. The main altar is reached by a series of steps. The circular facade windows recall Donato Bramante's churches in Milan.

Built between 1481 and 1489 by Pietro Lombardo to house a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. The plans for the church were expanded in 1484 to include the construction of a new convent for nuns of St. Clare to the east. The convent was connected to the gallery of the church by an enclosed walkway that was later destroyed.

The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria and Nicolò di Pietro. The vaulted ceiling is divided into fifty coffers decorated with paintings of prophets, a work by Girolamo Pennacchi's contemporaries, Vincenzo dalle Destre and Lattanzio da Rimini.

Santa Maria dei Miracoli by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr


Santa Maria dei Miracoli (facciata) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Santa Maria dei Miracoli by _Marcel_, su Flickr

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli by tomosang, su Flickr

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli by tomosang, su Flickr


Santa Maria Dei Miracoli (interno) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli by tomosang, su Flickr

Venedig, Campiello dei Miracoli, Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli, Kassettendecke des Tonnengewölbes (coffered ceiling of the barrel vault) by HEN-Magonza, su Flickr

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli by tomosang, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc, alberty liked this post

Last edited by FAK; April 6th, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3595
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Chiesa della Madonna dell'Orto, Venezia - Veneto

The Madonna dell'Orto is a church in Venice, Italy, in the sestiere of Cannaregio.
The church was erected by the now-defunct religious order the "Humiliati" in the mid-14th century, under the direction of Tiberio da Parma, who is buried in the interior. It was initially dedicated to St. Christopher, patron saint of travellers, but its popular name suggesting consecration to Holy Virgin comes from the following century, when an allegedly miraculous statue of the Madonna, commissioned for the Church of S. Maria Formosa but rejected, was brought to the Church from the nearby orchard (orto in Italian) where it had languished.

The church lay on weak foundations and in 1399 a restoration project was financed by the city's Maggior Consiglio. The Humiliati, due to their "depraved customs", were ousted in 1462 and the Madonna dell'Orto was assigned to the congregation of Canons Regular of San Giorgio in Alga. The latter order was suppressed in 1668, and the following year the Church and convent annexed were handed over to Cistercians of Lombardy. In 1787 the church came under public administration. Restoration was begun under Austrian rule in the 1840s and finished in 1869, by which time Venice had become part of the unified Kingdom of Italy.

Rio Ca'Brazzo by Garry, su Flickr


Venice - Churches - Madonna dell'Orto 01 [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) o CC BY 2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)], di Nino Barbieri (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Madonna dell'Orto [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Madonna dell'Orto 6 apôtres et la Tempérance [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Madonna dell'Orto (Venice) - Interior [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Venezia Madonna dell'Orto R03 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Marc Ryckaert (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Venezia Madonna dell'Orto R09 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Marc Ryckaert (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Venezia Madonna dell'Orto R07 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Marc Ryckaert (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Venezia chiesa MADONA DE L ORTO int1 20081119 [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], di Unofeld781 (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #3596
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Venezia - Veneto

The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in Venetian as San Zanipolo, is a church in the Castello sestiere of Venice, Italy.

One of the largest churches in the city, it has the status of a minor basilica. After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.

The huge brick edifice was designed in the Italian Gothic style, and completed in the 1430s. It is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built to hold large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, not the Biblical Apostles of the same names, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome, whose names were recorded in the 4th century but whose legend is of a later date.

In 1246, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430.

The vast interior contains many funerary monuments and paintings, as well as the Madonna della Pace, a miraculous Byzantine statue situated in its own chapel in the south aisle, and a foot of Saint Catherine of Siena, the church's chief relic.

The Renaissance Equestrian Statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni (1483), by Andrea del Verrocchio, is located next to the church.



Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo - Venice 2016 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di José Luiz


Exterior of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) from Campo San Zanipolo [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons


Interior of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo by tomosang, su Flickr

Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo by tomosang, su Flickr


Choir of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Choir of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) - Ceiling [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Chapel of our Lady of the Rosary of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], di Didier Descouens (Opera propria), da Wikimedia Commons

Santa Giovanni e Paolo/San Zanipolo, Venezia by cerfon, su Flickr




Piazzetta ai Santi Giovanni e Paolo [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by Piazzetta, user:Moroder (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Interior of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) - Monumento del doge Pietro Mocenigo - Pietro Lombardo [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo by tomosang, su Flickr


Interior of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) - Monument to Alvise Mocenigo [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Interior of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) - Monument to Giovanni Mocenigo [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Choir of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (Venice) - Monument of doge Leonardo Loredan [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons


Monument to doge Andrea Vendramin [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Didier Descouens (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

BELLINI, Giovanni - 1460-69 - Polyptych of San Vincenzo Ferreri by Faces of Ancient Europe, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc, alberty liked this post

Last edited by FAK; March 29th, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3597
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Venezia, Veneto

Rio De La Toletta by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Rio de S. Polo by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Chiesa di Santa Fosca by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Chiesa di San Moisè by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Ramo Va In Campo by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Fondamente del Former by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Rio de S. Campolo by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Campo S. Provolo by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

San Martino by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Fondamente Salute by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Rio dei S.S. Apostoli by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr
__________________

franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3598
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Burano, Veneto

Burano by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Burano by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Burano by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Burano by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr

Burano by Ole Steffensen, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #3599
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Favria, Piemonte


https://castlesintheworld.files.word...-di-favria.jpg


https://castlesintheworld.files.word...di-favria6.jpg


Il Castello dei Marchesi del Monferrato (Sec. XII) - Favria Canavese by agfa the frog, su Flickr
__________________

franciscoc liked this post
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #3600
FAK
Registered User
 
FAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,184
Likes (Received): 6468

Chianale, Piemonte

Reise ins Piemont - Valle Varaita by
hdw2007, su Flickr

Chianale by pixaiolo, su Flickr

Chianale 2 Italy by ricko800, su Flickr

2013-07-13 (03) Valle Varaita.Chianale by steynard, su Flickr

Chianale by Dario Gnali, su Flickr
__________________

Roy Corduroy, franciscoc liked this post

Last edited by FAK; March 28th, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
FAK no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu