daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #221
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
Ah...you are just harbouring ill feelings from some past run-in. Ya big grudge holder.
Not really. I can sport an "I'm-better-than-you" hypocrite a mile away.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:20 AM   #222
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytler
Countries much smarter, richer and better managed than China don't think putting money into India is like throwing it away. Ah well, they must all be jealous too.
are you trying to compare the amount of fdi received between china and india?
surely you know china gets like 10 times the fdi than india does, so i accept that
it may be a smart choice to put money into india, but i also accept that it's a
smarter choice to put money into china. does this make sense?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM   #223
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu
are you trying to compare the amount of fdi received between china and india?
surely you know china gets like 10 times the fdi than india does, so i accept that
it may be a smart choice to put money into india, but i also accept that it's a
smarter choice to put money into china. does this make sense?
Yeah,this makes sense .Because lots of "FDIs" think it's to throw away the money if to invest in India in stead of in China.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:35 AM   #224
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
Yeah,this makes sense .Because lots of "FDIs" think it's to throw away the money if to invest in India in stead of in China.
not throwing money away, just more risks less gains.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:39 AM   #225
tiger
BANNED

I thought a democracy could be very attractive.

47% of India’s under-five population is underweight
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:42 AM   #226
tiger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
not throwing money away, just more risks less gains.
To do business with more risks and less gains means is to throw money away.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:46 AM   #227
zternal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
"what is your deal? "

Well, here's my deal.

First of all, even you must be able to detect a slight amount of humour somewhere in there...I decided to make it slightly more obvious in my last post.

Second, rather than the jealousy too many people seem to rationalize as an excuse...it's simply I find the priorities out of wack....I mean, if people are starving in your country, or having various other serious fundemental difficulties, it should be the responsibility of the government, especially a communist one, to take care of those things first, before trying to impress the world with spending vast sums on things like maglevs or a space program. It's all just posturing, at the expense of those most vulnerable, whom you are supposed to be taking care of.

In a more developed country with a democratic-free enterprise system, the government looks after certain basic responsibilities of society, and free enterprise looks after things like keeping the economy running and "maglevs" (maglevs is used as a catch-all term to describe developing new technology not yet practical for mass use).

"Can I get an AMEN! "

Ah...you are just harbouring ill feelings from some past run-in. Ya big grudge holder.

KGB

hahaaha, KGB, you talk about China as if its ONE PERSON! There are still people here in the U.S. homeless (oh+dare I say starving), so what? Stop all science, until those people are in a home?

btw: maglev could be worthless for all I care, the key is if it leads to other scientific discoveries that could have far more importance->cure cancer?? save lives?? you never know.
zternal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:32 AM   #228
Bikkel
sadfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Not really. I can sport an "I'm-better-than-you" hypocrite a mile away.
Are you a Goliath? How do you sport that? Throw?
Bikkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:09 AM   #229
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"I can sport an "I'm-better-than-you" hypocrite a mile away. "

The mirror is a lot closer.

"hahaaha, KGB, you talk about China as if its ONE PERSON! "

I'm trying to figure out how this might make sense....but so far, I've come up empty. How could making insights about a government or it's policies possibly equate to treating it as an individual?

"There are still people here in the U.S. homeless (oh+dare I say starving), so what? Stop all science, until those people are in a home? "

Inequities exist everywhere...that's never going to change. And while the USA is certainly a good example of a rich western democracy with some lopsided policies, it does have fully implimented infastructure designed to deal with such inequities (their effectiveness not withstanding). There will always be those who fall through the cracks.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #230
sl64

Likes (Received): 0

"hahaaha, KGB, you talk about China as if its ONE PERSON! There are still people here in the U.S. homeless (oh+dare I say starving), so what? Stop all science, until those people are in a home?"

Yes, the situation is the same. Because in the US, largely private scientific research goes on while there are a small percentage of homeless people, mostly in the cities, the Chinese government should throw money at an unnecessary technology while hundreds of millions everywhere in the county still live in poverty. The fact that you would make the comparison makes me think that you don't know the first thing about the development of countries.

"btw: maglev could be worthless for all I care, the key is if it leads to other scientific discoveries that could have far more importance->cure cancer?? save lives?? you never know."

So then what's the point of the Chinese using it? The technology already existed. Their spending money to copy it won't spur researchers to cure cancer.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #231
muchbetter
Melody

Likes (Received): 55

The Chinese government does spend money in all kinds of aspects including development of west regions and improvement of life standards. The situation right now is that we already saw progress in life standards ( of course, not enough) in spite of huge population. As for other parts like Maglev or space race, I believe most of people don't know china's situation. Being isolated by western countries in terms of influence extended by cold war, till now, China hardly acquires high-tech core from other countries . and easing restrictions on US high-tech exports to China still is in negotiation. Therefore, investment into China own maglev technology is plausible and necessary if we consider maglev train shortens the journey for chinese people especially for poor migrants back home.In other words, it assists to fill the gap between relatively poor areas and rich areas.
muchbetter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #232
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

If spending money developing maglev technology today, while poor rural Chinese peasants lack flush toilets, means that 20 years from now China will dominate maglev production worldwide and export them for billions of dollars worth of revenue per year... YES, they should forget the peasants and concentrate on making maglev commercially viable instead. It's a fundamental western concept called investment. It's largely fallen out of favor among lefties, but it does tend to produce wealth faster and more reliably than old standbys like income redistribution and forced egalitarianism. Greed works. Envy destroys.

Personally, I hope Americans will increasingly look at Chinese attitudes towards intellectual property and begin to demand the same freedoms here. IP isn't a natural right -- it's a utilitarian compromise that's largely been perverted and transformed into a modern monster by an out-of-control government determined to be the RIAA and Hollywood's favorite bitch.

Compare the American penalties for intentionally circumventing a copy protection technology under the DMCA to, say, drunk driving that ends with manslaughter, or raping a 10 year old girl. The DMCA violation carries harsher penalties. That's just plain wrong. People in China might not be able to put up billboards in downtown Beijing criticizing the government, but they aren't risking a bankrupting fine, legal judgment, or imprisonment because they happened to have a hundred gigs of pirated mp3s on their fake iPod, either. Freedom is relative. If Hollywood gets its way, 10 years from now it'll be illegal to own a code-signing certificate or unlicensed compiler capable of marking programs as "Trustworthy" to run on locked-down computer hardware, while consumers in China will be laughing and wondering why Americans put up with it.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #233
zternal

>I'm trying to figure out how this might make sense....but so far, I've come up empty. How could making insights about a government or it's policies possibly equate to treating it as an individual?

you're right you've make an insight. But since you didn't understand the analogy: Is Shanghai still as concerned about people starving to death? Or is it more likely that a rural area in China would be? Why shouldn't Shanghai be entitled to research and build maglevs? After all its bring in the $$$, not the rural areas, What do you expect it to do, just divide up all its income equally thoughout China? Plus, how do you know how much was spent on research? The article didn't say, but I bet a whole lot less than the Germans!
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #234
zternal

sl64, copy & paste above to your #1 arg, I'm too lazy to.

>So then what's the point of the Chinese using it? The technology already existed. Their spending money to copy it won't spur researchers to cure cancer.

Second, its not development I don't understand, its maglev--understanding it is about the power of controlling magnetics---and I'm a step behind, there are already experiments to cure cancer with magnets: http://stopcancer.com/000/011.htm
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #235
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes
If spending money developing maglev technology today, while poor rural Chinese peasants lack flush toilets, means that 20 years from now China will dominate maglev production worldwide and export them for billions of dollars worth of revenue per year... YES, they should forget the peasants and concentrate on making maglev commercially viable instead. It's a fundamental western concept called investment. It's largely fallen out of favor among lefties, but it does tend to produce wealth faster and more reliably than old standbys like income redistribution and forced egalitarianism. Greed works. Envy destroys.

Personally, I hope Americans will increasingly look at Chinese attitudes towards intellectual property and begin to demand the same freedoms here. IP isn't a natural right -- it's a utilitarian compromise that's largely been perverted and transformed into a modern monster by an out-of-control government determined to be the RIAA and Hollywood's favorite bitch.

Compare the American penalties for intentionally circumventing a copy protection technology under the DMCA to, say, drunk driving that ends with manslaughter, or raping a 10 year old girl. The DMCA violation carries harsher penalties. That's just plain wrong. People in China might not be able to put up billboards in downtown Beijing criticizing the government, but they aren't risking a bankrupting fine, legal judgment, or imprisonment because they happened to have a hundred gigs of pirated mp3s on their fake iPod, either. Freedom is relative. If Hollywood gets its way, 10 years from now it'll be illegal to own a code-signing certificate or unlicensed compiler capable of marking programs as "Trustworthy" to run on locked-down computer hardware, while consumers in China will be laughing and wondering why Americans put up with it.

A very fine analogy...
I need to start using "freedom is relative" more often.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #236
zternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes

That's a scary thought. but I don't understand why we allow so much piracy?? I means every college, every high school, even middle school--bittorrent this, kazaa that. Heck, sounds a whole lot easier than going down to the market place in China to get it. After all, there's no physical presence right? What has the government done? Music Industry stepped up, just to get touted the bad dude. Motion Picture Industry is now scared and taking "appropriate measures". And software??? Companies just deal with cracked software via "upgrades". So why all the bashing for the Chinese government to step in--leave it to the state of the industry!

Yeah, one of these days, when I'm completely walled in, I'll just say "I have the freedom of no choice".

I hope that day NEVER comes.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #237
Minotaur

Likes (Received): 0

Here's an article from the New York Times. I don't think what the article says China has accomplished goes with what those that accuse China of forgetting about the poor. No Western system is certainly capable of governing a billion people. If there are poor people in the US with only 278 million in population, then you know a Western system can't handle a billion.

May 3, 2006
Unicef Cites China's Gains in Fighting Child Hunger
By SHARON LaFRANIERE
JOHANNESBURG, May 2 — China has made huge strides in reducing malnutrition among children over the past 15 years, while India recorded only modest progress and eastern and southern Africa made no gains at all, according to a report released Tuesday by Unicef.

More than one child in four in the developing world is undernourished, the organization said, a decline of just five percentage points since 1990. At that rate, officials said, the world will not meet the United Nations target of halving the number of undernourished children by 2015.

"This is unbelievably slow progress and far less than what is needed to meet the goals," Rainer Gross, chief of nutrition for the agency, said in a telephone briefing from New York. "We are far off course."

Health experts estimate that malnutrition contributes to more than half of the 11 million deaths of children under 5 every year. The report focused mainly on children under 5 who are underweight.

China has surpassed the United Nations goal for 2015, halving its percentage of underweight children and reducing the death rate for children under 5 by more than one-third, the report shows.

In India, on the other hand, the share of children who are undernourished dropped by only six percentage points since 1990, leaving a staggering 47 percent of children under 5 underweight. India, Bangladesh and Pakistan account for half of the world's underweight children, the report stated.

"South Asia is the worst-performing region," Dr. Gross said. "Children in this region are living in an almost constant state of emergency."

In southern and eastern Africa, nearly 30 percent of children are underweight, just as in 1990, according to the report. Officials blamed the AIDS pandemic, increasing poverty and declines in agricultural productivity, among other factors.

Dr. Gross said the main cause of malnutrition was not food shortages, but poor diets with too few vitamins and minerals.

At a news conference here, Jay Naidoo, chairman of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition, proposed that the staples of poor families' diets, like corn or wheat flour, be routinely fortified with vitamins to improve nutrition, just as salt is iodized to limit iodine deficiencies.

"The most cost-effective intervention is to fortify the basic foods that people consume," he said.
Minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #238
baersworth

and 3 years later-------bang--------they say they have developed their own maglev.
================================================================
Things you do not know or information not written in English and available in your hometown does not mean they are not exist. You have to learn Chinese or other languages before you can access to information not written in English.
baersworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #239
baersworth

The wealthy West has nothing to be jealous about in China.
============================================
The West became so rich after they have selling slaves and robbing Africa and South America for almost 200 years. The wealth passed on to those people now pretend to be angles, give me a break.
baersworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #240
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Things you do not know or information not written in English and available in your hometown does not mean they are not exist. You have to learn Chinese or other languages before you can access to information not written in English.
English is and always will be the worldwide dominatn language of science.

But I am learning chinese right now, so maybe you could just mail this great information you have about maglev science in china, so I can read it.
But only if its beyond the well known published media and newspater stuff.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote