daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #241
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 4

here is some homework for you:

(1) find the chinese translation for "maglev trains"
(2) input the chinese translation found in (1) into www.baidu.com.cn, and its news search engine
(3) read the top 10 results

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #242
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

thats the same stuff that you have on google.....

I mean scientific publications.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #243
JD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu
are you trying to compare the amount of fdi received between china and india?
surely you know china gets like 10 times the fdi than india does, so i accept that
it may be a smart choice to put money into india, but i also accept that it's a
smarter choice to put money into china. does this make sense?

No i don't. First of all China doesn't get 10 times more FDI than India. Second, FDI is not a "monolithic" entity. There are "various" things in which you can invest. China has created a whole "anything manufactured for peanut price till it doesn't require much skill" industry. Since world needs such a kind job, the most, china gets highest FDI. And if you think that a "shoe" company evaluates the risk of investment in India, you are mistaken. In India most of FDI goes to jobs which require more skill (automobile part, gems,...) and since you don't have market for these, you don't get much investment.

Not though I know that you have any clue about any of these, but I was curious about the fields where India provides "no risk" and where many multinational companies have invested money. But seeing the breadth of ingnorance here, it was clearly a futile question.
JD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #244
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytler
No i don't. First of all China doesn't get 10 times more FDI than India. Second, FDI is not a "monolithic" entity. There are "various" things in which you can invest. China has created a whole "anything manufactured for peanut price till it doesn't require much skill" industry. Since world needs such a kind job, the most, china gets highest FDI. And if you think that a "shoe" company evaluates the risk of investment in India, you are mistaken. In India most of FDI goes to jobs which require more skill (automobile part, gems,...) and since you don't have market for these, you don't get much investment.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #245
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

it's a misconception that FDI in China is only concentrated in labour intensive industires, a large chunk of it is invested in knowledge intensive industires as well. All IT powerhouses (since IT is India's pride) have extensive research facilities in China, i am talking about the likes of Microsoft, Intel, Google...many people know half of the world's cellphones are produced in China, but a lot of you dont know many of the latest models are also DESIGNED in China, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola all have research centres in China.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #246
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
it's a misconception that FDI in China is only concentrated in labour intensive industires, a large chunk of it is invested in knowledge intensive industires as well. All IT powerhouses (since IT is India's pride) have extensive research facilities in China, i am talking about the likes of Microsoft, Intel, Google...many people know half of the world's cellphones are produced in China, but a lot of you dont know many of the latest models are also DESIGNED in China, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola all have research centres in China.
Don't explain for him.He's a
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #247
Minotaur

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Not though I know that you have any clue about any of these, but I was curious about the fields where India provides "no risk" and where many multinational companies have invested money. But seeing the breadth of ingnorance here, it was clearly a futile question.

Simply delusional!

Yeah, when Bill Gates said more new innovations were coming out of his China R&D center than all his other labs, India begged to him to open one there just to make Indians feel better.

Interesting with all the computer programming competitions in the world today, Indians are always at the bottom of the list. At the Topcoder competition, no Indian has ever placed in the top 10. Only one Indian has ever placed top 20. And when ranked according to school, the highest an Indian university has ever placed is 64th. Contrary to China where one is always ranks in the top 5 in one or more categories. Only goes to show that India doesn't have the best programmers... just the cheapest.
Minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #248
Minotaur

Here's and example of delusion and stealing ideas in India. This is how India redefines the definition of words to suit their own agenda. No wonder they don't believe they steal. I love the part how stealing is not stealing. It's a form of flattery.

How Kaavya may have imitated, but was told she plagiarised

Best selling authors like Dan Brown and Shiv Khera too have faced the flak.

Remember what they say about imitation being the best form of flattery? Obviously the folks who have been accusing Kaavya Viswanathan, who wrote How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life, of plagiarism haven't heard about it.

Or worse, choose to ignore it. But one wonders what all the brouhaha is really all about, particularly in the light of the fact that Kaavya isn't the first one to have passed off another's work as her own.

Best selling authors like Dan Brown and Shiv Khera too have faced the flak. And industry insiders will tell you, they receive a lot of manuscripts that (borrowing from Kaavya) have been 'internalised'!

The situation has earned the young writer more brickbats than bouquets. As apna own young writer, Jyoti Iyer, winner of Classmates Young Writers' contest puts it, "In the final analysis, it appears pretty dumb. In the hope that you will not get caught, you get your 15 seconds of fame, but that's about it."

Interestingly, Shobhaa De not so long ago remarked that best selling novels are no longer written, they are manufactured. A fact that VK Karthika, executive editor, Penguin, the company that was distributing Kaavya's book in India, cannot entirely deny.

"It is true that publishers come up with ideas and approach people to write about them," she admits. So has Kaavya merely been a scapegoat? That's a question that doesn't have any easy answers.

"From the perspective of a budding writer, emulating a bestseller with a plot that has already done well is perhaps the sure shot way of making it big. But that doesn't always work," analyses Kapish Mehra, publisher, Rupa Books.

Sandeep Dutt, CEO Book Cafe, adds another interesting perspective, "The me too factor exists in every product/business and generates new thought processes. Yes, ideas generate ideas and as long as one does not resort to plagiarism, the inspiration factor does exist.

" Ironically, it is the blurring of this line between inspiration - the engine that drives Bollywood ever so often - and plagiarism that spells danger. "There are people who have gone on record and said that there are only so many number of plots and ideas in the world.

In fact I myself remember accusing Satyajit Ray of plagiarism," laughs Antara Dev Sen, editor, of a well-known, Delhi-based magazine.

But that doesn't brush aside the fact that plagiarism is rampant in the industry. "We get a lot of submission that is so derived that I'll put it in the category of plagiarism.

As publishers we need to be very careful about the kind of writing we accept," continues Dev Sen. But apparently there's only so much a publisher can do.

And while Dutt dismisses the issue with, "We are all here to make a quick buck, this world seems to be really losing morality," Karthika sums up the issue thus: "The writer -publisher relationship is based on trust and we have a clear understanding with the writer that the onus is on him/ her."

For once, the pen doesn't seem to be mightier!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1514775.cms
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #249
JD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen

No it's not a "misconception". It's a fact. I don't want to argue over the "extensiveness" of Microsoft's reserach facility in China. But I would definetly "prefer" if you tell me which "models" of Motorola/Nokia phone are actually designed by chinese people, in China (I hope you ar talking about actual hardware/software).
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #250
JD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur
Here's and example of delusion and stealing ideas in India. This is how India redefines the definition of words to suit their own agenda. No wonder they don't believe they steal. I love the part how stealing is not stealing. It's a form of flattery.

How Kaavya may have imitated, but was told she plagiarised

Best selling authors like Dan Brown and Shiv Khera too have faced the flak.

Remember what they say about imitation being the best form of flattery? Obviously the folks who have been accusing Kaavya Viswanathan, who wrote How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life, of plagiarism haven't heard about it.

Or worse, choose to ignore it. But one wonders what all the brouhaha is really all about, particularly in the light of the fact that Kaavya isn't the first one to have passed off another's work as her own.

Best selling authors like Dan Brown and Shiv Khera too have faced the flak. And industry insiders will tell you, they receive a lot of manuscripts that (borrowing from Kaavya) have been 'internalised'!

The situation has earned the young writer more brickbats than bouquets. As apna own young writer, Jyoti Iyer, winner of Classmates Young Writers' contest puts it, "In the final analysis, it appears pretty dumb. In the hope that you will not get caught, you get your 15 seconds of fame, but that's about it."

Interestingly, Shobhaa De not so long ago remarked that best selling novels are no longer written, they are manufactured. A fact that VK Karthika, executive editor, Penguin, the company that was distributing Kaavya's book in India, cannot entirely deny.

"It is true that publishers come up with ideas and approach people to write about them," she admits. So has Kaavya merely been a scapegoat? That's a question that doesn't have any easy answers.

"From the perspective of a budding writer, emulating a bestseller with a plot that has already done well is perhaps the sure shot way of making it big. But that doesn't always work," analyses Kapish Mehra, publisher, Rupa Books.

Sandeep Dutt, CEO Book Cafe, adds another interesting perspective, "The me too factor exists in every product/business and generates new thought processes. Yes, ideas generate ideas and as long as one does not resort to plagiarism, the inspiration factor does exist.

" Ironically, it is the blurring of this line between inspiration - the engine that drives Bollywood ever so often - and plagiarism that spells danger. "There are people who have gone on record and said that there are only so many number of plots and ideas in the world.

In fact I myself remember accusing Satyajit Ray of plagiarism," laughs Antara Dev Sen, editor, of a well-known, Delhi-based magazine.

But that doesn't brush aside the fact that plagiarism is rampant in the industry. "We get a lot of submission that is so derived that I'll put it in the category of plagiarism.

As publishers we need to be very careful about the kind of writing we accept," continues Dev Sen. But apparently there's only so much a publisher can do.

And while Dutt dismisses the issue with, "We are all here to make a quick buck, this world seems to be really losing morality," Karthika sums up the issue thus: "The writer -publisher relationship is based on trust and we have a clear understanding with the writer that the onus is on him/ her."

For once, the pen doesn't seem to be mightier!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1514775.cms

Fool she is an american citizen and obviously she is in Harvard, a task you cannot acheive even if CCP personally takes it as their own responbility. Funny if you mention Indian "writers" when there is truck load of them winning all kind of international prizes for their writing skills.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #251
Minotaur

Quote:
Fool she is an american citizen and obviously she is in Harvard, a task you cannot acheive even if CCP personally takes it as their own responbility. Funny if you mention Indian "writers" when there is truck load of them winning all kind of international prizes for their writing skills.
Yeah, she got into Harvard because of cheating. LOL!!!!

Don't worry, I'm sure someone is investigating all those forgettable Indian writers right now.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #252
AlexS2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
You are correct. Many companies go to China to perform R & D.
The number of patent filed by China on last year put China in the top ten.
China 2,452 patents while India 648. India actually went down

Here is link: http://www.rechargermag.com/news.asp?id=200602502

Also, here is link to a research paper that try to explain Chinese increase of patents.
http://people.brandeis.edu/~jefferso/Patenting,%20China%20patent%20explosion,%20March%2027,%2005.pdf#search='number%20of%20chinese%20patent%20record'
AlexS2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #253
AlexS2000

Quote:
No it's not a "misconception". It's a fact. I don't want to argue over the "extensiveness" of Microsoft's reserach facility in China. But I would definetly "prefer" if you tell me which "models" of Motorola/Nokia phone are actually designed by chinese people, in China (I hope you ar talking about actual hardware/software).
How about if you provide a list of products that have been actually designed in India. Name, model, year of introduction and I would like some official proof that those products are indeed designed in India by Indian.
Thank
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #254
JD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS2000
How about if you provide a list of products that have been actually designed in India. Name, model, year of introduction and I would like some official proof that those products are indeed designed in India by Indian.
Thank

I wonder how desperate one would be too take so many new names just for this but yeh just for record, I never made such a claim. Wonder what you are smoking..
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #255
JD
BANNED

Quote:
You are correct. Many companies go to China to perform R & D.
The number of patent filed by China on last year put China in the top ten.
China 2,452 patents while India 648. India actually went down

Here is link: http://www.rechargermag.com/news.asp?id=200602502

Also, here is link to a research paper that try to explain Chinese increase of patents.
http://people.brandeis.edu/~jefferso/Patenting,%20China%20patent%20explosion,%20March%2027,%2005.pdf#search='number%20of%20chinese%20patent%20record'

Er.. that goes to prove that even though India is getting 1/10 of what china is getting in FDI, it's still not that behind when it comes patent filling (whatever they are worth..), no?
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #256
AlexS2000

Quote:
I wonder how desperate one would be too take so many new names just for this but yeh just for record, I never made such a claim. Wonder what you are smoking..
Answer my question now!
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #257
AlexS2000

Quote:
Er.. that goes to prove that even though India is getting 1/10 of what china is getting in FDI, it's still not that behind when it comes patent filling (whatever they are worth..), no?
You are finally admitting that companies go to China is not just for the manufacturing of good but for R & D as well.
Good, you have learnt something today.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #258
JD
BANNED

Quote:
Answer my question now!

what question FOOL. Did I make a claim about research? Are you a retard or what?
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #259
JD
BANNED

Quote:
You are finally admitting that companies go to China is not just for the manufacturing of good but for R & D as well.
Good, you have learnt something today.

By that LOGIC should I also assume that India is doing R&D too, albeit 25% of China?

Anyway I checked the "link". Most of the patents filled by India and China are from local companies.
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #260
AlexS2000

Quote:
what question FOOL. Did I make a claim about research? Are you a retard or what?
uote:

Thank