daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #1
xizhimen

Likes (Received): 156

Amazing Engineering: China's Ya'an - Xichang Trans Mountain Expressway

Quote:
The 244-kilometer-long Ya'an-to-Xichang trans mountain expressway in Sichuan Province of southwestern China has been opened up to traffic on Jan 18, 2012. It is the final piece of China's G5 Interstate highway, connecting Beijing and Kunming.

The $3 billion highway project was funded by the central government of China in 2007 as a state-run aid program. This project is expected to play a key role in lifting millions of Tibetan, Han, Yi and Muslim Hui people in western Sichuan, the poorest but resource-rich region of China, out of poverty. As the most difficult part of the G5 Interstate, Ya'an-Xichang expressway is regarded as engineering marvels. More than half (54%) of the highway is tunnels and bridges among mountains. Ganhaizi tunnel is a rarely-seen dual-spiral tunnel, with an elevation of 800m spanning only 12km distance. Labajin bridge and Aizhai bridge are among the highest bridges in the world
picture courtesy of photobucket.

juandecervantes liked this post
xizhimen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
xizhimen

Ya'an - Xichang Highway (part of China G5 Interstate) animation demo

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #3
xizhimen

picture courtesy of photobucket.

begleca, SSC Fan, n20, Japanac, devo and 1 others liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #4
xizhimen

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #5
bogdymol
bogdymod

Why wasn't the [CHN] China | road infrastructure • 中国高速 thread good enough for this posts?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

crimio, n20, aswnl liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #6
xizhimen

Old January 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #7
xizhimen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why wasn't the [CHN] China | road infrastructure • 中国高速 thread good enough for this posts?
That's a special highway,it's a trans mountain highway,most section are tunnels and bridges,some of the tunnels and bridges are among the world longest and highest.it's really worth checking out.
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by bogdymol View Post

I Think because this stands out as a marvel engineering masterpiece when it comes to freeways. Just breathtalking to see this Pictures. Imagine then how it would actually be to drive this incredible road. They should do this from the Southern Rockies up to Canada I Think it would have been awsome.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

medviation liked this post
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #9
xizhimen

SSC Fan, Japanac liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #10
xizhimen

SSC Fan, n20, devo liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #11
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizhimen View Post
That's a special highway,it's a trans mountain highway,most section are tunnels and bridges,some of the tunnels and bridges are among the world longest and highest.it's really worth checking out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
I Think because this stands out as a marvel engineering masterpiece when it comes to freeways. Just breathtalking to see this Pictures. Imagine then how it would actually be to drive this incredible road. They should do this from the Southern Rockies up to Canada I Think it would have been awsome.
There are a lot of interesting construction projects world wide. If every one would have it's own thread on H&A it would be a mess here. That's why we have one thread per country.

If you really want a thread just for this project maybe it would have been better to open it here: Mainland China Forums 中国大陆论坛 > Infrastructure/基础设施.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

MichiH, Chilio, n20 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #12
xizhimen

Old January 5th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #13
xizhimen

I think mega special projects deserve some special attention.otherwise they will be soon drowned out by tons of much less significant ones.

Coccodrillo liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

I agree, I have never heard of that road and I don't have the time to read every post on SSC searching for notable projects...

Can you locate the Ganhaizi tunnel on a map? Spiral road tunnels are very rare (but also spiral roads in the open air are quite rare). Here one complete underground loop in Italy: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Val+Fo...e,+Italia&z=15

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #15
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Really the Chinese mountain megaprojects are in a league of their own, globally, and deserve a rare exception to the one country rule.

The Chinese are building a high speed railway in the north west complete with Worlds Highest High speed Rail tunnel at 3600m. It is running behind schedule not least as they cannot get enough Oxygen to the workers building the highest bits.

Maybe we should put the Lanzhou - Urumqi rail project in this thread too as it is yet another engineering marvel. There is an expressway along it, already built to the Kazakhstan border more or less.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrzpgj0oyVP4DKaUylrFpPBWNm3Igo67Ir3EcUQvhJDAB_RG2zMg[/img]

and the Terminus station in the far north west of China in Urumqi.

Last edited by sponge_bob; January 6th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #16
xizhimen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Really the Chinese mountain megaprojects are in a league of their own, globally, and deserve a rare exception to the one country rule.

The Chinese are building a high speed railway in the north west complete with Worlds Highest High speed Rail tunnel at 3600m. It is running behind schedule not least as they cannot get enough Oxygen to the workers building the highest bits.

Maybe we should put the Lanzhou - Urumqi rail project in this thread too as it is yet another engineering marvel. There is an expressway along it, already built to the Kazakhstan border more or less.
and the Terminus station in the far north west of China in Urumqi.
I have another thread about China's railway stations and HSR in another subforum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...318&highlight=
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #17
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Amazing highway through mountains !
But it was really necessary to destroy the environment with that road ?
Hope the maintenance will follow in the future.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #18
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
But it was really necessary to destroy the environment with that road ?
I don't see much destruction. Nature there (jungle) will take over unused parts pretty soon. It is obvious that landscaping around recent Chinese expressways is quite similar to those in western Europe.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #19
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

In favour of an exception (only for the Chinese mountain country megaprojects) I would point out that the German Autobahn network has been under construction since the 1910s and is around 13000 km long. It has a thread in here just like umm Gibralter does, I am not here to bash Gibralter.... mind.

Most of the network is boring enough but the exceptional projects are truly exceptional on a global scale and mainly located in the mountains of the interior. And so I am backing xizhimen for a separate thread for the really spectaculars where there is a big mountain involved.

Last edited by sponge_bob; January 9th, 2014 at 01:01 AM. Reason: some wrong expressway stats, the chinese intent to build another 35k kms of expressway and 265km of National Highway by 2030
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #20
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Wow!!!!!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote