daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Enzo

Likes (Received): 18942

Very nice, Yuri!

I always like to spend a few days in the country side, and this farm shown here seems to be very quaint and good for some resting.
Enzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #22
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19419

South

Bringing a post from August 2013. From Midwest's summer to South's winter:

I spent this weekend in Londrina and took some pics from the rural area. As it was a very cold Sunday morning (4°C), me and my brother decided to go to the countryside to enjoy the sunny day and see the landscape.

Northern Paraná is one of the world's agriculture powerhouse, so it's nice to have some pics showing this side of Brazil. Let's go to the pics. Soybeans were harvested on March and gave place to the wheat:

Wheat

Virtually a 100% of Brazilian wheat (around 5 million tonnes) is grown in South. Half of it on Paraná, and 1/4 of it, on northern Paraná. July's cold wave (well documented on SSC), brought negative temperatures to northern Paraná and damaged the crops.

Coffee

Northern Paraná used to produce 50% of Brazilian coffee (1/3 of the world) and Londrina was known as the "world's capital of coffee". Then, the 1975 Black Frost destroyed in few hours billions of coffee plants. The production of that year was zero and 2 million people were pushed away from the region. Today, Paraná produces only 4% of Brazilian coffee (which is not that important to Brazilian economy anymore), and the state successfully has shifted to soybeans, corn and wheat.

Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #23
Yuri S Andrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Very nice, Yuri!

I always like to spend a few days in the country side, and this farm shown here seems to be very quaint and good for some resting.
Yes, it's an amazing to have a place like this for resting. I was in need to leave São Paulo for while. See the parents, the family, it was really great!
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #24
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3781

Even if Brasil is soon to be nr 1 in Agricultural profudts exports, there are almost no images of brasilian farms on SSC...Good job, Yuri!
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:05 AM   #25
Yuri S Andrade

Yes. Even though the quality of pics are not that great, I decided to open the thread to show that part of Brazil that's completely unknown to foreigners. Brazil is already an agricultural superpower and keeps growing at double-digit rates.

Thanks, Klausenburg!
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:14 AM   #26
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 12125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
South
wow, except the foreground plants in the last pic, most of these look like they could be in england. in a strange way, such familiar looking landscape is more eye-opening to me than anything in this thread, I never imagined Brazil having areas like that.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkneyBristolLisbonLondon
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #27
Yuri S Andrade

Southern Brazil is not only "European" in their demographics, but in some of its landscapes as well. It's a subtropical region, full of high plateaus, meaning even snow on winters.

I've posted many countryside pics on "Londrina - Little London" thread on my signature. Much better quality than those ones posted here.