daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #281
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

OMG Yes, please! Wonderful news VG

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #282
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
The Hudson Yards should be located on the South side of the Empire State Building, except for the Spire (should be located on the North side of 34th street).
it's the angle. The Hudson Yards are where they should be in that visualization.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #283
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Is this a serious proposal? I've learned to be skeptical about buildings that seem to good to be true.
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #284
nbrandwein

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Obviously 1800 to the top of the spire but thats still insanely tall... maybe 15 or 1600 to the roof
What makes you say it's the spire that makes it 1800 feet? The spire does not look architectural and thus wouldn't be included in the total height.
nbrandwein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #285
nbrandwein

Likes (Received): 0

Can anyone confirm if the 1800 figure is to roof height or the antenna height?
nbrandwein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #286
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrandwein View Post
What makes you say it's the spire that makes it 1800 feet? The spire does not look architectural and thus wouldn't be included in the total height.
I have to believe that if they're advertising this to potential buyers as an 1800 ft. tower, it would be 1800 ft. of useable space. Prospective buyers couldn't give two shits about a vanity height spire, and no one is going to take the offer seriously if they were to discover the 1800 ft. figure was actually ~1500 when they got into the details.

My question is, where is this 1800 ft. figure coming from? What is the FAR of the site? How much square footage in terms of air rights did these guys assemble?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #287
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

whatever ends up being built here will not look like this. Don't start any spire/antenna bullshit.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #288
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
Is this a serious proposal? I've learned to be skeptical about buildings that seem to good to be true.
I agree but a couple years ago we would have thought that seeing 3 400+ meter buildings under construction by now would be too good to be true but alas it became a reality.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #289
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzeng View Post
Future skyline.
Not 100% correct.

very good job!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Bolzeng liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #290
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
MJM + A Architects Unveil Design for Hudson Spire –The Tallest Building in North America

1,800 foot multi-use luxury commercial and residential tower will be an integral part of NYC’s Hudson Yards Development. Tower will also be as the largest building in North America.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11578927.htm

Oh the possibilities! If I had to make just one wish with the Skyscraper Gods! This would be it. It would be a fantastic center piece in the emerging Hudson Yards.

Obviously because of the smaller floor plates, the kind of offices they could offer would be for Hedge funders, Law firms and Technology firms & maybe some foreign gov't offices.

So here's my wish...

I wish for a ambitious foreign entity to buy this plot asap and use this design with a few modifications here and there. What an opportunity it will be to build an icon for NYC.
is this really an official render now?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #291
MarshallKnight

There's no way. No ones actually bought the site yet. As far as I can tell, the reporter is just coming late to the party and misunderstanding the render's purpose as a sales tool. There's no new information in there.
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #292
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

I know this isn't an official render buuuut why can't New York get another huge bulky chicagoish tower instead of these new ultra skinny designs that are all the rage by Central Park?!?
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #293
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
There's no way. No ones actually bought the site yet. As far as I can tell, the reporter is just coming late to the party and misunderstanding the render's purpose as a sales tool. There's no new information in there.
I have the same feeling that as of now we are simply in wild speculation waters in terms of what and how they are going to build there. it would be extremely nice to have a really dominant tower in this place. it will be most memorable with such a feature.

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #294
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
I know this isn't an official render buuuut why can't New York get another huge bulky chicagoish tower instead of these new ultra skinny designs that are all the rage by Central Park?!?
All the office towers around this one are bulky towers. This is an exception.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #295
nyarch21

How can they say this will be an 1,800 foot tower when the site hasn't even been bought yet? Doesn't the buyer have the control over the buildings design?
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #296
MarshallKnight

Yes, it's going to be up to the buyer. My gut feeling is that, even if the building can theoretically be built to 1800 ft., to do so would require it to be too thin to accommodate the large floor plates needed for high end office space. I expect whatever winds up here to be shorter, with a bulkier office component and a thinner residential component making up the rest of the buildable square footage on top. All of that would of course change if the buyer also bought the adjoining plot to bring this to 2.5 million square feet. In that case, I could see something close to the scale of Ping An rising here.
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:32 AM   #297
nyarch21

I see. But why did they go through the trouble of making a design if in the end it's up to the buyer anyways?
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #298
MarshallKnight

It's just a sales pitch. "Here's how grand a monument to yourself/your company/your country you can build on this prime plot in the most important city in the Western World!"
Think of it the same way you would sell a mansion: in all the photos, the rooms are packed with furniture, lavish decorations, sometimes even bikini-clad models, in order to help the buyer envision what it will look like when they move in. Obviously the furniture doesn't come with the house, and the way they decorate it may be much more chintzy and terrible (or, hopefully, classier and more tasteful). But an example of what the finished product will look like is more enticing than seeing a bunch of empty rooms, or a big patch of dirt.

Kyll.Ing. liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #299
jackedi07
YoutubeChannel:Jackedi07

Likes (Received): 522

From CTBUH:

Design Details Revealed for Hudson Spire

The much-anticipated plans for New York City’s Hudson Spire, located in the developing Hudson Yards district, were released by MJM + A Architects. The plans indicate that the building is to rise to an astounding 549 meters, which would merit the tower the distinction of “tallest building in North America” if completed as planned.

“When the senior executives of Massey Knakal, James Nelson and Bob Knakal, and Anthony Volpe of the Rosenthal Group first laid out for us the challenge of creating an 1,800 foot-high mixed-use tower for Hudson Yards, we were both thrilled and inspired. As architects, our job is to interpret the dreams of others. The creative geniuses of our design studio, led by my partner Keith Lucas, came up with a stunning vision of a vibrant glass structure that literally jumps from its base and soars to the stars,” said Michael J. Maculuso, Principal and Founder of MJM + A Architects. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that architects dream of.”

According to the plans, the Hudson Spire is to boast 110 stories, with floors one through five offering retail and dining, followed by 15 stories of office space, upon which three separate hotels will be stacked. The top 25 floors are reserved for luxury residential units, which will gaze upon supertall scenery that spans the city and harbor.

“Hudson Yard represents the last frontier in undeveloped Manhattan property,” says Macaluso, “and Hudson Spire will be right in the middle of this dynamic new neighborhood with all its cultural attractions, entertainment, and river views.”

The slim tower’s base is a mere 100 meters wide, and tapers to 75 meters near the top with a series of setbacks. Hudson Spire’s structural strategy battles high winds by utilizing reinforced concrete and steel framing, which is sheathed by high-strength glass.

“There’s not a lot of façade to work with,” said Keith M. Lucas, partner and project designer for MJM + A Architects, “so we wanted to make it visually interesting. We decided, rather than go with a typical singular surface, let’s do something different and more dynamic. Let’s vary the composition of the glass color and reflective property, with lots of intersecting angles that play off one another, so that sunsets and city views will look different on one face of the building than on the others.”

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...US/view.aspx#!
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #300
McSky

Likes (Received): 1889

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackedi07 View Post
From CTBUH:

Design Details Revealed for Hudson Spire

The slim tower’s base is a mere 100 meters wide, and tapers to 75 meters near the top with a series of setbacks. Hudson Spire’s structural strategy battles high winds by utilizing reinforced concrete and steel framing, which is sheathed by high-strength glass.

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...US/view.aspx#!
Did they confuse meters with feet? This tower couldn't be 246 feet (75 meters) wide near the top.

EDIT:

Obviously an error in the article:

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by McSky; February 19th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc