daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2014, 11:30 PM   #321
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

TheHudsonSpire.com
http://thehudsonspire.com/

The Opportunity

New Heights
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM   #322
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Call now! Operators are standing by!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #323
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This site's potential obviously depends on the developer. If it's developed by a NY company, it will be at least 350m, but probably not much higher than 400m. If it's developed by a Chinese or Middle Eastern developer, then the sky's the limit!
Yep totally agree. We need an outsider to make this tower go iconic.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #324
nyc15

Likes (Received): 161

i think that 1800ft is the roof height , imagine that we added a spire same height of one world trade center spire ,it will make hudson spire a 2208 ft tower!!!

i hope that the dream become the reality
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #325
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
i think that 1800ft is the roof height , imagine that we added a spire same height of one world trade center spire ,it will make hudson spire a 2208 ft tower!!!

i hope that the dream become the reality
FAA will not let you build anything in NY above 2000 feet. That a promise
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #326
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Without permission. Getting past FAA's restriction would be a hell of a lot easier than getting such a structure built in the first place.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #327
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Without permission. Getting past FAA's restriction would be a hell of a lot easier than getting such a structure built in the first place.
That what you think
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #328
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

No that's true. FAA can give approval for structures over 2000ft. Especially thin spire shouldn't couse big trouble in that subject.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #329
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
No that's true. FAA can give approval for structures over 2000ft. Especially thin spire shouldn't couse big trouble in that subject.
In NYC area it will NOT happen because of airports.. And if not that, NYPD will scream " security/terrorism" and project will get axed really fast
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #330
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4544

flight paths go AROUND Manhattans clusters though don't they? So it shouldn't really be a problem in that sense; it basically gives the FAA awareness of the height of the building

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #331
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

lol yes I don't think that flights coming out of La Guardia or Newark have to fly through the skyscraper canyons like Luke flew through the surface of the Death Star

Last edited by tinyslam; February 25th, 2014 at 10:50 PM.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #332
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

The FAA will only ease up when they shut down La Guardia. Until then...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #333
Rey73

Likes (Received): 114

This tower will be 1800ft on the roof and 2000ft with the spire.

Trex-md liked this post
Rey73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #334
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris666 View Post
the question is: Why?
There's no shortage of office space in New York. A 2000ft tower in NYC is a luxury, not a necessity. Going forward, in the decades ahead, other cities around the world will attract the 2000ft structures, because they have a combination of a shortage of office space and the top-tier desire to build.

New York also has one of the highest skylines in the world already. So a 2000ft tower in the heart of Midtown isn't really a 2000ft tower. It's a 400ft pinnacle jutting out of a large and expansive plateau.

So you're a developer with a billion dollars. Or a large multinational bank with the funds for a new headquarters. And you want prestige and notice and the high-quality residences that only a brand new supertall can offer. You don't build in Manhattan. Your ego is lost amid a sea of other people's egos. You blend into the environment too much. So instead, you build in Moscow, or London or Paris. Cities that are equal to - if not superior to - New York in terms of geopolitical importance and economic power. But with a fertile landscape ripe for large, dominating skyscrapers.

Cities with a designated financial district away from the historic core. Spaces like Pudong with huge swathes of empty ground right in the heart of a thriving metropolis. If HSBC or Royal Dutch Shell or BP want a brand new 'Sears Tower-esque' monument to their wealth and importance, then their 2000ft monstrosity is being built in Canary Wharf. Or La Defense. Not in Manhattan.

New York is unlike other world cities (except perhaps Hong Kong). It's a plateau, not a pinnacle. You have to look at NYC from further away, see it more like a hive than a series of individual buildings. A 300m supertall in London is major news. In New York, it's Tuesday. That's a massive statement to the strength and importance of Manhattan to world architecture. But it also has the downside of limiting what will be built there. Even a vast project like the Hudson Yards, which if it were built in any other city on Earth would be a game-changer, it still blends into the skyline a bit. It's not going to redefine the appearance of the city. It's going to enhance it.

If I was a New Yorker, I'd feel happy and sad at this prospect. On the one hand, nothing truly massive is going to be built in Manhattan for a while. Because the only groups interesting in building that tall are doing so to project importance. And they can't project importance in NYC because nothing is more important than the city itself.

And on the other hand, I'm pleased because it means New York evolves more naturally. There's no grotesque pillar that looks out of place amid the towers. It's all an undulating whole. An ocean of the world's tallest. That's something no other city has, or can have. Not for a hundred years.

So in two decades, maybe Canary Wharf will be equal in size to Lower Manhattan (a real possibility). And maybe La Defense or the Moscow IBC will be comparable to Midtown. Who knows? But between these clusters will be nothing. Just a vast swathe of ancient history, flat and uninspired. Whereas in New York, it will be endless canyons of exceptional architecture. A city on a city on a city. Layers and layers, all the way down. That in itself is as interesting to me as one big giant skyscraper. It's the next step in city design and it's going to happen in America first.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #335
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

How is Paris and Moscow equal or superior to NYC in economic power? Can you post figures for that?

Also, Canary wharf is limited from ever being tall due to flight paths. I doubt that airport is going anywhere. The French don't like scrapers very much. When is the last time a very tall tower was built in La Defense? I doubt that anything very tall would ever be allowed to tower over the historic core of Paris. The only place a such a tall tower really is required would be NYC in the West, given sheer geography. That alone would be a good indicator that such towers are likely barring a major decline of NYC and the USA. Europe is rather anti-scraper as a whole, I don't see any mega tall towers ever being allowed any where near historic London or Paris, or most other EU cities.

I disagree that the form of NYC will limit what is built in terms of taller towers. HY will definitely be a game changer, even for NYC. Remember where the HY is located, in a relative desert removed from the sea of tall buildings in midtown. The fact that it is such a modern design compared to the surrounding 1930 brick buildings is important too.

The plateau will only spur developers to build higher and higher as space becomes more scarce and views become more and more valued. They will want their towers to stand out. There are countless historic districts and places where FAR is limited which means land will become more valuable and scarce as current new districts and rezoning areas (HY and Manhattan East) are built out. Residential demand will spur higher and taller towers as people want to live in Manhattan and the outer boroughs have a high NIMBY presence precluding much skyscraper activity. If NYC continues to be the destination city it is today, taller towers are inevitable and I don't see how a 2000 foot tower is out of the question. Even if it only sticks out 200 m above the plateau in a city of skyscrapers, developers will still be salivating at the thought of their tower being above the fray. Views are always a priority in NYC due to it being a forest of scrapers. So, I think that the form of NYC will actually lead to taller towers in a greater number compared to places where a tall tower is built mainly to show-off, due to sheer land economics and demand for views combined with the destination presence of a city like NYC.

Last edited by aquablue; March 4th, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #336
Rey73

Likes (Received): 114

Yes, it is a nice tower with 1800ft on the roof and 2000ft with the spire

image hosted on flickr
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #337
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
So in two decades, maybe Canary Wharf will be equal in size to Lower Manhattan (a real possibility). And maybe La Defense or the Moscow IBC will be comparable to Midtown. Who knows? But between these clusters will be nothing. Just a vast swathe of ancient history, flat and uninspired. Whereas in New York, it will be endless canyons of exceptional architecture. A city on a city on a city. Layers and layers, all the way down. That in itself is as interesting to me as one big giant skyscraper. It's the next step in city design and it's going to happen in America first.
I really, really doubt that... Have you ever been to Manhattan? You can't even compare a city like London or Moscow

I also don't think NYC needs a 2000 foot building, for me a dozen or so 1000-1400 footers on the same island is far more impressive, although someday I'm sure we will see higher than that.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #338
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I honestly wouldn't mind if this were built. are there any Chinese companies known to be looking to build in NYC that we might see developing this tower?
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #339
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

In the picture above, as you go to the right, it drops from supertall level to lowrise level pretty abruptly...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #340
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey73 View Post
Yes, it is a nice tower with 1800ft on the roof and 2000ft with the spire
Nice! Is there any chance you can put 3 Hudson Blvd in there too for a skyscraper nut?

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc