daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #361
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Get Stern to design this instead please!
A Stern Mega would be dope!

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #362
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Hurry hurry Hurry!

You cuh build uh A-tee hunnit footah heah.

Last edited by McSky; March 13th, 2014 at 05:14 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #363
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

Wow this will change the New York skyline
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #364
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

It seems this tower is getting unanimous approval by anyone here. Rare sight on SSC.

But seriously we need something this daring and new. No one will beat classics that we have, but we need something new as well. Where else if not here...

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #365
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Get Stern to design this instead please!
Careful what you wish for, Stern does modern too!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #366
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
As I and many people have said many times before, that would not be the design built.
This area actually would have been better for Smith Gill to have a project because the architecture in the Hudson Yards is more forward thinking and less obstacles such as no Nimby's, shadow fearers, Architecture snobs and the need to build a cantilever by necessity. Oh yea and no worries about view blocking by nearby towers. Lol

Btw, RW posted an article on West 61st and Broadway saying the parcel is on the market asking for $300m! IMO, the Hudson Spire would be a better buy with tons of potential all for a measly $250m. Message to buyer.... Buy here and build iconic.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; March 26th, 2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #367
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The design we saw is a massing model to show the potential of the site, but if it would be built, it would be the greatest addition to New York City in 4+ decades. This building would make the medicore Hudson Yards into the most iconic complex in the city. The Hudfson Yards towers are in my opinion medicore both in design and height, but they still would give a good background to a tower with world class design and world class height

As an example to express what feelings the Hudson Yards towers evoke in me I would compare them to the World Financial Center. Alone, it doesn't impress me with anything, neither height, nor design, but now that 1WTC is behind it, it started to truly contribute to the skyline as a background building. This contribution was lost on 9/11 and regained on topping out of 1WTC. Some buildings look good only if they have a taller and better looking building behind them or next to them. I think the Hudson Yards buildings are the same case

Point is, the western side of Manhattan needs a landmark, not just any building, but a true landmark and the Hudson Spire, as depicted in this very early massing render has both the height and design to be such a landmark
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #368
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

But midtown, particularly 57th/58th along the edge of the park, is the geographic center of the Manhattan cityscape. The entire cluster rises up around that area. Having a big pinnacle off to the side disrupts that gradation. You get a sort of London effect but on a much bigger scale. Whole bunch of clusters with uneven scale. London has that because it basically has no serious skyscraper construction. But Manhattan has loads. It has an entire hive built up between the Empire State and the park. If the island is to have a 600m spire, that is the logical spot. That or Lower Manhattan, which is separated enough from Midtown to constitute an entirely different locale.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #369
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Hudson Yards is NOT mediocre... that would be Brookfields Manhattan West. Good for the city, nice enough, great scale but unimaginative buildin

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #370
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I don't personally love the architecture of Related's project. I think it suffers from "trying too hard" syndrome. So much visual noise. But because 30 HY has been shortened, 35 HY raised, and 50 HY poised to be very large as well, there will be less of a defined pinnacle -- more like a plateau along Hudson Blvd. If a very tall tower winds up on this Hudson Spire site, it may bring that whole West Side skyline together beautifully.

However, I worry about whatever winds up here being designed with that same "look at me" philosophy. If you're going to build a 500m tower in the most recognizable skyline in the world, you really have to get it right, and if that means playing a little conservatively, then so be it. My dream would be to see something akin to KPF's best designs (Ping An or CTF Guangzhou) rise here -- something of that scale is a real possibility if this site is combined with its neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
But midtown, particularly 57th/58th along the edge of the park, is the geographic center of the Manhattan cityscape. The entire cluster rises up around that area. Having a big pinnacle off to the side disrupts that gradation.
As for this I would argue that the most exciting skylines are the ones with different focal points that change dynamically when viewed from different angles. Viewed from the West, this Hudson Spire would anchor the Southern end of midtown much like ESB always has, but viewed from the South, the Midtown skyline would take on a Chicago-esque flavor, with several peaks bookending and punctuating the plateau.

citybooster, Ivanator, WillBuild, j-biz liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #371
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Most of us here seem to really like HY, I do like the stark contrasts between all the buildings(though really hope 50 and 55 HY get better designs) but I do get what you are saying... Hudson Spire may be the thing that brings everything together perfectly. And don't forget the Sherwood and maybe another site or two where more supertalls could be built to raise the skyline up to Hudson Spire's ultimate crowning glory. I hear about a site for Wanda to build a huge hotel/ condo complex too.. any info about that being in this general area?

Also like the perspective of having a skyline that viewed from different angles because of different focal points take on unique characteristics of their own.

Vertical_Gotham, iamtheSTIG liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:17 AM   #372
Vertical_Gotham

Tishman Speyer front runner and may buy adjacent site owned by Sherwood Equity:
http://nypost.com/2014/03/31/white-c...-1221-6th-ave/

Tishman Speyer is the front-runner for a $200 million-plus purchase of a Hudson Yards-area development site, sources said.

The parcel is owned by the Rosenthal family and runs from West 34th to 35th streets, between 10th Avenue and the planned new Hudson Boulevard in the middle of the block.

The sale offering via Massey Knakal was first reported by Crain’s, which also said an adjacent site owned by Sherwood Equities might be sold as well if the Rosenthals found a buyer.

Now, we're told, the company run by Jerry Speyer and Rob Speyer has both sites in its sights.

The Rosenthal piece alone can support a 1.2 million square-foot project as of right.

The area’s extraordinary run-up in values is driven by the thundering success of Related Cos.’ 26-acre project Hudson Yards rail yards project two blocks south.

Old April 1st, 2014, 06:21 AM   #373
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

That's great news!
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:32 AM   #374
Vertical_Gotham

Yes definitely great news. The site is too great to sit on the market for long IMO. Great location in an emerging next great destination.

They are the front runner so that means multiple interests which is great news. With news that Tishman is also interested with Sherwood's lot is the very kind of developer I'm hoping for so they can construct a 2.5 msf supertall.

I'm thinking since Tishman had originally lost the Hudson Yards bid to Related, this would be their way to get back into the Hudson Yards action and build something that would be a pride to their organization with their biggest trophy tower to date.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 1st, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:49 AM   #375
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Tishman is a top notch developer. I envision an amazing and tall tower (350m to 425m), but I doubt that anything taller will be built there.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:55 AM   #376
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Tishman is a top notch developer. I envision an amazing and tall tower (350m to 425m), but I doubt that anything taller will be built there.
Yes Tishman is really good. Add another 8m to that 425m and I will be ecstatic and this will be the new center piece of the Yards. For the kind of cash they will be plunking for this site or both, they will need to think big and think about a legacy building kind of project.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 1st, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:31 AM   #377
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

adjacent site to what? The Hudson Spire? Or are they buying the Hudson Spire site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
What makes you say that?

Not that I would complain about a building that size
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:17 AM   #378
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
adjacent site to what? The Hudson Spire? Or are they buying the Hudson Spire site?
They would be buying the Hudson Spire site which has 1.2 msf. The article also indicated that they are very interested with Sherwood's site which is adjacent to that can yield a total of 2.5 msf of development if combined. Sherwood site is currently not in the market but they had said if purchaser of the Hudson Spire site is interested in combining, they will sell it to the them for that opportunity. Potentially we can see a 2.5msf behemoth at 1,800' as of right tower IF Tishman is willing to construct to its fullest potential.

citybooster, Kanto liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM   #379
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Give me some context for 2.5msf on that plot. Short and fat? Tall and thin? What's the comparison to existing structures?
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:37 PM   #380
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Give me some context for 2.5msf on that plot. Short and fat? Tall and thin? What's the comparison to existing structures?
Time Warner at HY, 2 and 3 WTC.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc