daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #441
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Sherwood does not develop sites this large. It will sell.

agreed. Like Hudson11 said, Since Tish lost the deal to be the Hudson Yards Master planners, they may see this as an opportunity to build something pretty iconic to stick it to Related. Here's hoping
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #442
Vertical_Gotham

I would love to see this tower for the Spire that was originally proposed by Durst from their Yards bid back in the day.

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #443
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Also, TS can get this moving way before Related can build the McD site.
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #444
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I'm also pretty sure that Tishman will be buying the Sherwood site.
From the Post article:

Quote:
Tishman Speyer is the front-runner for a $200 million-plus purchase of a Hudson Yards-area development site, sources said.
The parcel is owned by the Rosenthal family and runs from West 34th to 35th streets, between 10th Avenue and the planned new Hudson Boulevard in the middle of the block.
The sale offering via Massey Knakal was first reported by Crain’s, which also said an adjacent site owned by Sherwood Equities might be sold as well if the Rosenthals found a buyer.
Now, we’re told, the company run by Jerry Speyer and Rob Speyer has both sites in its sights. The Rosenthal piece alone can support a 1.2 million square-foot project as of right.
The area’s extraordinary run-up in values is driven by the thundering success of Related Cos.’ 26-acre project Hudson Yards rail yards project two blocks south.
A Tishman Speyer rep said the company declined to comment.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Sherwood wanted a piece of the pie and partnered with Tishman to build a major tower there.
Things are moving faster than I thought, shows the appetite for real estate in that area.
In my dream world, they would get the rights for TV's design a build an 1800ft version of it, giving it the "king of NY" title it deserves. But I also wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 9th, 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #445
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I'd love anything pointy. No more slanty roofs.

Tower Dude liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #446
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22573

this was Tishman Speyer's plan for the Railyard redevelopment.

Related won with this

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #447
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post

In my dream world, they would get the rights for TV's design a build an 1800ft version on it, giving it the "king of NY" title it deserves. But I also wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

YESSS! PLEASE!!!

I'll be lobbying for TS to hire SHoP to be the architects for the Hudson Spire, although a taller TV would probably fit better in the Yards.

Tower Dude liked this post
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #448
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I personally would love to see a 2 000 foot version of 432 Park. It certainly would be doable since the original 432 Park has 1 400 feet and has only about 550 000 square feet. With 1 200 000 square feet a 2 000 foot version would be indeed feasible. This is mixed use so I expect something between the wide WTC office towers and the thin 57th residential towers but I personally would bet it'll be closer to the 57th towers than to the WTC. After all, it is unparalelled height that attracts ultrarich residents and the residential market does seem to dominate over the office market as of this day in NYC
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #449
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

The problem with that is the 57th are so thin because they need to rise above to get a view of central park. Here on the other had you'll have offices for at least 250m. Look at the girasole.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #450
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Don't listen to him he obviously wouldn't find anything very impressive if he doesn't find 1WTC to be so.
Not true. There are many buildings I would consider impressive.
This site has the potential to host a building I would deem impressive. Of course, that is dependent upon the design, which I'm sure we will not see finalized for some time.

And I'm not sure about a 2000ft. version of 432 Park- that would be awfully thin. Better to have something a bit wider, imo.
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #451
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Is there anything the zoning or in the listings, that might give us an idea what proportion of commercial, retail and residential we can expect? We should be able to extrapolate something about the profile of the building that will rise here from that.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #452
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Here's the zoning for the 2 sites. We're not getting a clear picture of what will be built there, but it will without a doubt be huge, not to mention the Tishman will definitely try to overshadow Related's 30HY or McD's site.

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #453
Vertical_Gotham

Although, I'm not surprised in this incredible boom we are experiencing, it is impressive that this site has gone into contract in less than 4 months!

If it is indeed Tishman Speyer that is in contract for this site, should they rename the site the….

The Tishman Spire?? Lol

In Contract: The Hudson Spire Site (read more in link)
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/in-c...pire-site.html

Quote:
Following The New York Post’s report that Tishman Speyer expressed interest in the site of the conceptual Hudson Spire, Massey Knakal’s page on the listing has just been updated; the lot is now in-contract, indicating a buyer has been found.
Quote:
what’s most interesting about Tishman’s involvement is their apparent desire to acquire Sherwood’s adjacent parcel, as well. Combined, the assemblage could support a tower of approximately 2.5 million square feet, making it one of the largest buildings in New York City.

Tishman Speyer’s involvement with the Hudson Spire is particularly intriguing given the firm’s recent history with the Hudson Yards; Speyer actually won the original bidding process for the railyards, before the deal collapsed and Related was awarded the project.
Quote:
Given the failed Tishman proposal for the Hudson Yards, the firm’s acquisition of Hudson Spire makes sense, and could result in an ultimate one-upping of Related, as the air rights available are enormous. With egos at play, anything is possible — and when it comes to profitability, which is the ultimate motivator for any developer, building tall in today’s market provides the most lucrative results.
Quote:
while Related’s 30 Hudson Yards may become the railyards’ most notable structure, Speyer now has the option to overshadow competing developments with the neighborhood’s defining icon, especially if the resultant tower is mixed-use. With the demand for supertall and super-luxury residences continuing to soar, it certainly seems possible that that sour grapes could ultimately ferment into Manhattan’s tallest building.
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #454
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Tishman is enjoying its own recovery after the Stuy Town fiasco several years ago.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #455
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

It now is apparent that sooner rather than later Hudson Spire ( or whatever it's called, but let me just use it for convenience) will become a reality. If the Sherwood purchase is successful, and Tishman has every incentive to acquire the land for this megatall project, we're going soaring skies on the biggest building on this side of the world!

Kanto liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #456
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

No, don't think Tishman will be so conservative especially if they have both plots. I think you're wrong here... Tishman wound up not getting the original plan for HY but they will have every opportunity to make a statement on this one. I'm saying this because they went so fast on this. If they didn't get the Sherwood lot and there were two developers with two different projects probably would be two 1,200-1,400 ft. towers but not with Tishman if they get the entire lot... they're going to make an icon for the West Side.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by citybooster; April 11th, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #457
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
No, don't think Tishman will be so conservative especially if they have both plots. I think you're wrong here... Tishman wound up not getting the original plan for HY but they will have every opportunity to make a statement on this one. I'm saying this because they went so fast on this. If they didn't get the Sherwood lot and there were two developers with two different projects probably would be two 1,200-1,400 ft. towers but not with Tishman if they get the entire lot... they're going to make an icon for the West Side.
I sure hope so, and that makes sense.

Quote:
I highly doubt that this tower will exceed 400m.
What makes you say that?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #458
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Robert's right.

Making a statement is - and always will be - an important aspect of skyscraper design. But it's not the highest priority. Economics, in the end, will determine what this building is.

You don't get to a position to be able to build something like this on a Howard Hughes-esque ego trip. Even Donald Trump, a complete maniac, didn't go overboard with his Chicago thing.

300-400m, maybe with a spire pushing it to 450m, is about what you'd expect considering the location and true fiscal realities of the city. Especially considering the benefits to attracting tenants by maximizing floor space.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #459
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I agree. This area will not yield condos priced at $10k/sf. Therefore, it's not worth the added cost to build above 400m. I expect that there will be an enormous retail base with a 300m to 400m tower upon it.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #460
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4544

I agree with Robert, they'll probably try and make it an economical tower, so around 300-400m would be good for them; this is partly the reason as to why the other Hudson Yards towers are less than 400m

With this square footage, it can also easily not make the 300m mark!

So don't get your hopes up

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc