daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #541
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Two developers wooing same giant tenant

Looking for a huge block of space, Deutsche Bank is pitched by a pair of hard-charging firms aiming to put up office spires in Hudson Yards—Tishman Speyer and the Related Cos.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...e-giant-tenant

Quote:
Tishman Speyer, the large real estate investor and developer, has quickly made itself a player in the Hudson Yards neighborhood where it just closed on an over $400 million deal to buy a development site where it can build a massive 2.85 million-square-foot tower.

The firm has met with Deutsche Bank to pitch to the European financial giant the opportunity to become the anchor tenant in what could be an over 80-story tower.

That effort comes as the Related Cos. is trying to do much the same thing with the bank at the developer's planned Hudson Yards residential, commercial and retail complex nearby in the west side neighborhood.

Deutsche Bank has several offices in the city, including a large space in lower Manhattan at 60 Wall Street that several sources say it may decide to vacate. The bank's lease there stretches until 2021, but it has the option to downsize there three years from now in 2017, just enough time to deliver a new tower at either development for its occupancy.

Deutsche Bank exercised a previous right to downsize at 60 Wall St., shedding 130,000 square feet there in 2012.

The Related Cos., recently broke ground for its complex to be built mostly over the rail yards there. The developer is trying to bring Deutsche Bank to one of its towers there, likely 30 Hudson Yards, a soaring tower that will be anchored by Time Warner. Related just began construction on it.

The developer is also in the process of building 10 Hudson Yards, a new headquarters building for Coach at the south end of the rail yards site and is planning another office tower, 55 Hudson Yards, on a neighboring site across from the rail yards that is being planned to cater to law firms.

Deutsche Bank is one of several large office tenants being courted by developers in the Hudson Yards area. So far, no financial firms have committed there, though several, including Citigroup, seriously considered moving there.

Tishman Speyer was the MTA's original pick to develop the West Side rail yards in 2008, but the firm quickly backed out of the deal as the recession began to take hold. The Related Cos. stepped in and completed the transaction as the real estate market sunk into a deep recession and struck sizable leases there as the real estate market in the city rebounded in recent years.

In recent weeks, Tishman Speyer came back to the neighborhood, acquiring the large development site, which comprises the whole block between West 34th and 35th Street stretching from 10th Avenue to the new Hudson Boulevard.

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #542
SupremeLord
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I hope hudson spire goes mega tall 1800ft to1850ft with a spire on top around 250 feet. The Boa building is a nice building but that's not what I want the hudson spire to be a tall building with a roof that has a glass facade, and a spire on top true roof height. With an observation floor I hope that's not to much to ask for.
SupremeLord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #543
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

It's good to know DB is looking. I thought that was kinda dead. Anyway, I hope they ultimately select the Hudson Spire. If not, I hope they pick 200 Greenwich Street instead over 30 Hudson, that way we get to see a new tower to rise.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #544
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

That would be a real coup if Tishman took the Deutsche Bank deal from Related and built the tallest tower in the city on the west side.
I can't believe how far along we are in that process already. I know this thing would be developed but I didn't foresee that much action in such a short time. Hudson Yards is on a roll.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #545
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Deutsche Bank has a nice logo design, like Mercedes Benz, and I wouldn't mind seeing either of them on the tower, just the logo! They have some cool buildings everywhere else and need a cool North American tower. Or perhaps they could rebuild at the WTC...

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #546
Grizworld

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I keep saying that CTF Guangzhou would be the perfect New York City skyscraper! I also don't necessarily want to see a super dominant tower over 2000 ft. in NYC, at least until there are a few towers in the 1500-1800 ft. range to balance it out. Burj Khalifa is a beautiful building and impressive, but for my money it makes the Dubai skyline look silly.
That's just a silly comment, that buildings incredible & nothing silly bout that.
Grizworld está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #547
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Of course BK is a marvel, and a beautiful design at that. But I know I am hardly the only person who dislikes the single dominant tower phenomenon. It obliterates any semblance of balance in the skyline. It's becomes "That one big tower... and some other shit as a backdrop."
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #548
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22573

the Hudson Spire would have a good location on the skyline, with that "some other shit" being the Empire State Building and the rest of the Hudson Yards. It's not like even if this beast was built to full height it would be double the size of midtown's tallest.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #549
MarshallKnight

And that's why I'm glad it's not going to be 2000+ ft!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #550
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1637

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Of course BK is a marvel, and a beautiful design at that. But I know I am hardly the only person who dislikes the single dominant tower phenomenon. It obliterates any semblance of balance in the skyline. It's becomes "That one big tower... and some other shit as a backdrop."
[IMG]http://i41.************/2yzg8bs.jpg[/IMG]
nycvintageimages.com

iamtheSTIG, MarshallKnight, sgollis liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #551
MarshallKnight

Okay, but ESB was only 150 ft. taller to the tip than Chrysler, the next tallest thing on the skyline. BK is nearly DOUBLE the next tallest. To me that just too much, too disproportionate.

It's hard to quantify aesthetics but if I had to cite an art principle, I'd go with the Rule of Thirds. I think I run into the problem if a tower is more than 33% taller than the next.

And remember, ESB was called out at the time for this very issue, and was considered by a lot of people to be disproportionately huge until the Midtown skyline filled out. Now obviously waiting 20-30 years for the skyline to regain its balance was worthwhile: ESB is one of the best skyscrapers of all time. You could plant it in Kansas and wait until a metropolis grew up around it, and that would be worth it. Once the Dubai skyline catches up to BK, it will be same thing -- it's that good. But Dubai is still in that awkward in-between period, and will be until some 600m towers pop up to balance things out. (Jeddah will be far worse, by the way)

Without a design to go off of, it's hard to say whether it'd be worth waiting for the rest of NYC to catch up to any 2000+ footer (although I wouldn't complain about a double-height Tower Verre). It's all moot anyway because there are no towers being proposed in that range for NY; this is just one principle I go by when I judge skylines, and why I think the NY skyline (and those of HK, Chicago and others) are superior to those dominated by a single tower.

citybooster, SMCYB liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #552
SMCYB

I loooooove Chrysler, but I also know the building is only 925 feet (not to get into a roof debate... really). ESB is 1250 to the roof and 145o to the antenna (added later). 1250 - 925 = 325. ESB is 35% taller than Chrysler, so it's a pretty good analogy in my opinion.

And over time other buildings filled in the missing gaps, so it doesn't really matter if a building stands out... the gaps will fill in over time.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #553
SupremeLord
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Imo there's nothing wrong with hudson spire being 2000 feet as long as it has true roof height, hudson spire will stick out amongst the rest but it will have company it will not be alone like bk, or eiffel tower not only that but hudson spire may inspire others to think BIG and not to hold back.
SupremeLord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #554
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I loooooove Chrysler, but I also know the building is only 925 feet (not to get into a roof debate... really). ESB is 1250 to the roof and 145o to the antenna (added later). 1250 - 925 = 325. ESB is 35% taller than Chrysler, so it's a pretty good analogy in my opinion.

And over time other buildings filled in the missing gaps, so it doesn't really matter if a building stands out... the gaps will fill in over time.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #555
SMCYB

I love art deco. Off topic I know, but dark_shadow1's photo calls to mind how much I hate the boxy buildings of the 50's and 60's. Hopefully Hudson SPire (if it gets built) will be a nice piece of design work.
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #556
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post

ESB is 1,250ft to the top of the spire, not the roof.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #557
(:

Likes (Received): 229

No 1,250 is roof height...

Last edited by (:; May 10th, 2014 at 02:57 AM.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #558
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
ESB is 1,250ft to the top of the spire, not the roof.
The Empire State building is 381 meters or 1250 feet to the roof and 1454 feet or 443 meters to the tip of the antenna (which doesn't count in the total building height)

The top floor is 1224' or 373 meters
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #559
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
No 250 is roof height...
+ 1000

(: liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #560
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
More...

Tishman Speyer to build Hudson Yards tower
http://www.rew-online.com/2014/04/30...tate%20Weekly)

While 1800’ would be fantastic I expect 1,400’ + tower here, not including a spire if they decide to have one. While this site can accommodate residential, it is not clear if they will include but if they do, this can be even taller I would assume.

Regardless, of the height the most important thing here is this will absolutely be THE trophy tower for T&S so I expect something amazing and to be the center piece of the whole Hudson Yards district including the Manhattan West Campus. They certainly spent a lot for it to not build something amazing imo.

The whole Hudson boulevard is taking shape with many available plots already taken, development wise.

Here's my updated Boulevard Development map.

Next up fellas! Let’s get news on the architect and some renderings!!!
Nice map, but I hope that the church on 41str is just left where it is now.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc