daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #61
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Terrific news. Is there any restrictions on heights in NYC? Or any stigma of building "too" tall?
You'd have to get faa approval to build 2000+ft but there is no NYC restriction.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #62
nyc15

Likes (Received): 160

are the 1800ft the roof height??
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #63
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Alright I cannot believe that VG, it is way too big. Does anyone know where the plot is divided? That looks like a full plot tower to me.
yea Funky! you may be right. it is hard to tell but looking again It does looks like the whole plot. I dunno. Maybe the blue half represents the Hudson Spire?? lol

The address 447 10th is located on the North East side of the plot, so I'm assuming Sherwood is the North half of the plot??

While 435 10th is on the South East side of plot so Rosenthal's piece is the Southern half.

Obviously they have 1.5 vs Sherwood's 1 m sf so the Rosenthal half for sale probably takes more than half.

If Sherwood does not end up selling they can build a skinny supertall by themselves. it is also quite possible they may offer a partnership with the new owner.

As we all now know this sites potential as a whole is 1,800ft max but they had chosen to propose a 305 m tower.

I'm starting to think it was the Rosenthals holding back and wanting it to be built to its full potential.

So the way I see it, it's a blessing in disguise Rosenthal wanting out and cash in. Just my .02 cents.

Now we may get 2 supertalls or 1 super duper tall!

Below is the HY map and I edited it to mark where other developments are.

Funkyskunk2, McSky, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #64
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
are the 1800ft the roof height??
That is the Max potential for this site.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #65
nyc15

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
That is the Max potential for this site.
with the spire we can reach the 2132 ft , i wish get mor air rights
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #66
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
i wish get mor air rights
You don't have to say that! I know your wishes very well. Hehe

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #67
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Interesting. Somewhere around 1800 feet would be epic, but (as always) I will be cautious about this speculation, although it has great chances of having a decent project here.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #68
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
with the spire we can reach the 2132 ft
Where do you keep getting this 2132 ft. number from? A spire can be any height -- the Wilshire Grand's spire will be 100 ft., One World Trade Center's is 408 ft. Is there some building that this would just surpass if it were 2132 ft. tall? Otherwise it seems totally arbitrary.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #69
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Where do you keep getting this 2132 ft. number from? A spire can be any height -- the Wilshire Grand's spire will be 100 ft., One World Trade Center's is 408 ft. Is there some building that this would just surpass if it were 2132 ft. tall? Otherwise it seems totally arbitrary.
The tentative height is 550m plus 100m of spire. 650m is 2,132ft. It's an arbitrary number, yes, but there's some math around it.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #70
MarshallKnight

Where are you getting 550m from? If the stated potential height is 1800ft, then it's 548m.

It doesn't make any sense to round that converted number up to 550, only to add 100m more and then convert it back to feet. 2,132 is a nonsense number.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #71
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4539

because based on the render/s released, the roof height worked out at 1,800ft then there's a spire on top
I know it's just an unofficial render atm, but I can see where he's coming from

But I'm not getting my hopes up until confirmation, which won't be for a while I recon
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #72
Vertical_Gotham

The City’s Tallest Building, at Hudson Yards?
http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...-hudson-yards/

Quote:
The real estate industry sat wide-eyed in anticipation of the ruling by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat in November that officially named One World Trade Center the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, beating out Chicago’s Willis Tower.

But in the not too distant future the gleaming new tower could have competition in its own backyard – Hudson Yards, that is – as Massey Knakal is exclusively marketing the sale of a development site that it believes could spawn what the firm has dubbed “The Hudson Spire,” an 1,800 foot super-skyscraper.

“The interest has been overwhelming,” Bob Knakal, the firm’s chairman, said. “We’ve had more confidentiality agreements in two days than I can ever remember.”

The Rosenthal real estate family recently hired Mr. Knakal and colleague James Nelson to market a parcel at 435 Tenth Avenue, which runs block-through from 501-507 West 34th Street to 510-528 West 35th Street.

In turn Mr. Knakal’s firm hired MJM+A Architects PLLC to assess the parcel, determining that the 37,026 square foot site could yield a 100-story, 1,800-foot-tall tower that would propel New York City out of the Western Hemisphere and into the global discussion among the “supertall,” with an accompanying rendering depicting a building that utterly dominates the Western skyline. In a prepared statement the architecture firm’s founder Michael Macaluso called the site “a commission an architect dreams of.”

But is the Hudson Spire in fact just a pipe dream, or is it in the pipeline? Mr. Knakal said all he needs is a developer looking to cash in on the excitement if not near hysteria that’s emanating from the west side.

“It could be a major New York developer already in Hudson Yards, or someone who wants to be there,” he said, “Or a foreign buyer who wants to build the tallest building in New York… who wants to make a real splash with the building.”

It certainly wouldn’t come cheap. While Mr. Knakal declined to comment on the price tag for the site, industry sources said they wouldn’t be surprised if it yields $250 million or more.

The site could encompass retail, office/hotel, and residential, which including all rights could yield over 1.2 million square feet of construction, which Mr. Knakal noted would be the largest single development site his firm has ever handled, while Mr. Nelson said its centerpiece would include an observation deck as the “ultimate addition.”

A building of the envisioned proportions would not only give the prospective developer bragging rights, but also a lucrative role at the center of Hudson Yards, being touted as the latest, greatest, newest and most exciting neighborhood in the city, which will draw off the success of the The High Line, with preliminary figures predicting 24 million visitors each year once the neighborhood is in business.

It would be the third tallest in the world, far surpassing the CTBUH’s definition for “supertall” buildings, which must stand taller than 984 feet. But the “megatall” are those taller than 1,968 feet, a distinction currently reserved for just two structures: Mecca’s Makkah Royal Clock Tower, which just tops that figure at 1,972 feet, and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, a stunning monstrosity that rises 2,717 feet.

Hudson Yards will include 26 million square feet of office space and 20,000 new residences. The High Line’s third and final phase, expected to open late this year, will loop around the development as it turns to the Hudson River at West 30th Street.
highlights
Quote:
“The interest has been overwhelming,” Bob Knakal, the firm’s chairman, said. “We’ve had more confidentiality agreements in two days than I can ever remember.”
Quote:
site could yield a 100-story, 1,800-foot-tall tower
Quote:
while Mr. Nelson said its centerpiece would include an observation deck as the “ultimate addition.”
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #73
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I rather see 100 real floors than 1800 feet.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #74
MarshallKnight

Here's a thought. What if a developer snaps up this property and proposes a tall tower with an observation deck higher than the one on 30 HY? If they do so before that building is completed, is there a chance Related scraps their deck?
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #75
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28235

Speculation. 30HY will probably start this year ?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #76
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

A theoretically possible scenario, but I'd venture to guess that 30 HY will already be under construction before we ever see a real plan for this site.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #77
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Here's a thought. What if a developer snaps up this property and proposes a tall tower with an observation deck higher than the one on 30 HY? If they do so before that building is completed, is there a chance Related scraps their deck?
Did Rockefeller center scrap the Top of The Rock when the ESB's deck opened? If it's high enough it will generate income and 30 HY's deck is outdoors while the Hudson Spire's (if this comes to pass) would likely be sealed indoors like at 1 WTC.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #78
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

This tower is amazing, I hope it gets built.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #79
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2662

I'm personally very disappointed with the design, it looks quite childish and haphazard. Like very little thought or effort has gone into it, I think New York deserves so much better and should try to look after its skyline and make sure that it maintains good quality design.

Or have I misunderstood? is this just a massing model and not a final design?
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #80
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

It's just a mock up to show how tall the building can be.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc