daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #821
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
He is happy with the arrangement so what is stupid? He is spending his money the way he wants to...........
There are five boroughs in New York City and four of them are more interesting places to live than Manhattan.

He looks young. He's doing some architecture thing. He could have a decently sized, rustic old loft space in Brooklyn that's ten times the space of that shoebox. And he'd pay less for it. And he could still visit Manhattan anytime he wanted, because it's a ten minute journey away.

Plus, he works from home. As long as he has an internet connection, he might as well live in Nebraska for all the good renting that cupboard is doing him.

Smart people don't live in city centres. Smart people live near city centres.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #822
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
There are five boroughs in New York City and four of them are more interesting places to live than Manhattan.

He looks young. He's doing some architecture thing. He could have a decently sized, rustic old loft space in Brooklyn that's ten times the space of that shoebox. And he'd pay less for it. And he could still visit Manhattan anytime he wanted, because it's a ten minute journey away.

Plus, he works from home. As long as he has an internet connection, he might as well live in Nebraska for all the good renting that cupboard is doing him.

The first compliment of Staten Island in recorded history.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #823
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
The first compliment of Staten Island in recorded history.
Off-topic, but:

Richmond County is THE neglected NYC county and it does NOT have a passenger rail system that connects directly to the other NYC county/boroughs' subway system. So it is probably less conveninet than the other counties for intra-NYC mass transit commuting.

BUT it does have that colorful congressman. IIRC NY's 11th CD (Staten Island, portion of Brooklyn) congressman is both running for his 3rd term (this year, obviously) and going to trial in October (this year also ) on his 20-count federal indictment.

onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 28th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #824
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post

Plus, he works from home. As long as he has an internet connection, he might as well live in Nebraska for all the good renting that cupboard is doing him

LOL at your declarative statements that make no sense. You must never have been to nyc. Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, and Brooklyn more interesting than Manhattan to live in? LOL! No ******* way dude. Besides a small little part of Brooklyn, Manhattan is far more interesting than all of them to live in. Do you realize how much of Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn is ghetto/crime ridden areas and how much ugly industrial areas there are in these places? Do you know that the rest of the areas are dull middle class or upper middle class residential areas with nothing much happening? No, you didn't, did you. Do you realize how much Staten Island resembles a suburb in Jersey? Do you think they are all interesting? You should visit and see how interesting they are. I feel sorry for you if you think most of these places would be more interesting to live in than the center of the city.

Oh, and to get big loft in Brooklyn in a good neighborhood where there isn't going to be a risk of getting shot is not cheap at all. Some of Brooklyn is more expensive than Manhattan afterall. Who wants to live with a risk of being in a bad area to save some bucks on rent.

You should come across the pond from your high horse in England for once before blathering on with your strident opinionated crap about a city you hardly know anything about. It appears much of what you are saying is absolute hogwash.

Oh, and not everyone wants to commute to Manhattan.... long subway rides are awful and anywhere cheap is far out. Just another reason that leads me to believe you have never stepped foot in NYC but still feel you can opine about it as if you are the authority.

onewtclover, bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; July 29th, 2014 at 07:55 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #825
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Yeah I live in Brooklyn, & I'd jump up to live in Manhattan, if giving the chance.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #826
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

As a happy Brooklyn resident with no desire whatsoever to live in Manhattan, I offer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
Do you realize how much of Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn is ghetto/crime ridden areas and how much ugly industrial areas there are in these places?
There are ghettos and dirty areas in all the boroughs, Manhattan is no exception.

Quote:
Do you know that the rest of the areas are dull middle class or upper middle class residential areas with nothing much happening?
This is just a dumb statement from somebody who obviously never leaves Manhattan. Brooklyn and Queens have many, MANY vibrant neighborhoods, rich in culture, food, and community. I mean, have you even been to Jackson Heights? Fort Greene? Cobble Hill? Greenpoint? Astoria? Windsor Terrace? Forest Hills? Flushing? Bay Ridge? I could do this all day. Large areas of Manhattan are dull and sterile in comparison. It's called Mallhattan for a reason.

Quote:
Oh, and to get big loft in Brooklyn in a good neighborhood where there isn't going to be a risk of getting shot is not cheap at all. Some of Brooklyn is more expensive than Manhattan afterall. Who wants to live with a risk of being in a bad area to save some bucks on rent.
This is a half-truth. Yes, the nicest areas of Brooklyn aren't that much cheaper than Manhattan. But to paint it in such black and white terms is an oversimplification. Most of Brooklyn is very safe, and getting safer every day, but it's probably be 20 years since you've set foot here.

Quote:
Oh, and not everyone wants to commute to Manhattan.... long subway rides are awful and anywhere cheap is far out. Just another reason that leads me to believe you have never stepped foot in NYC but still feel you can opine about it as if you are the authority.
Obviously, different people value their commuting times in different ways. There are huge chunks of the outer boroughs that are under 30 minutes by train to Midtown or the Financial District. Besides, the subway is the quintessential New York experience.

onewtclover, #99 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #827
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

The day this thread is on topic is the day Staten Island becomes cool.

Joking aside, ALL FIVE boroughs have many great things to offer but there is nothing like Manhattan. That guy in the video living in a shoebox is an idiot, though.
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #828
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Will be it high truly 549m ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #829
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Last we heard (which was in early July), the tower will only have 61 floors. So unless each floor is 9 meters tall, no it will not be anywhere near 549m.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #830
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
LOL at your declarative statements that make no sense. You must never have been to nyc. Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, and Brooklyn more interesting than Manhattan to live in? LOL! No ******* way dude. Besides a small little part of Brooklyn, Manhattan is far more interesting than all of them to live in. Do you realize how much of Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn is ghetto/crime ridden areas and how much ugly industrial areas there are in these places? Do you know that the rest of the areas are dull middle class or upper middle class residential areas with nothing much happening? No, you didn't, did you. Do you realize how much Staten Island resembles a suburb in Jersey? Do you think they are all interesting? You should visit and see how interesting they are. I feel sorry for you if you think most of these places would be more interesting to live in than the center of the city.

You should come across the pond from your high horse in England for once before blathering on with your strident opinionated crap about a city you hardly know anything about. It appears much of what you are saying is absolute hogwash.

Queens is dull? Come on! The amount of authentic culture you can take in just by the route of the 7 train is unmatched. Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan are all great places to live in my opinion.

Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #831
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Last we heard (which was in early July), the tower will only have 61 floors. So unless each floor is 9 meters tall, no it will not be anywhere near 549m.
I agree. I think it will be around 350-400m with the crown, if any.

I also suspect that Tishman has a tenant lined up since this tower wasn't among the sites mentioned for JPMC.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #832
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
I also suspect that Tishman has a tenant lined up since this tower wasn't among the sites mentioned for JPMC.
I good point!

1300' I would be ecstatic for this Spire.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #833
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

According to the CTBUH height calculator, the building should be 261 m or 857.9 feet to the roof. And with a spire, it'd probably be about 1200 feet. Unless it doesn't have a spire; Chicago Spire got its spire scrapped, so this building could just be spire-shaped.

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/H...S/Default.aspx
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #834
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Well if we use the floor heights of 50 HY (48 floors at 326m = ~6.8m per floor) as our theoretical maximum, this could get up to around 414m, plus whatever spire or crown. It's not totally out of the question, as these gigantic floor heights seem to be something of a trend.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #835
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Also, 15 Penn Is around 1,250' and it's around 60 floors.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #836
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Well if we're lucky 61 floors isn't final, articles do get information wrong a lot.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #837
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Also, 15 Penn Is around 1,250' and it's around 60 floors.
1216 and 68

Which means this could potentially be around 1000 or so.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #838
LondoniumLex
BANNED

This will be at least 350m.
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #839
(:

Likes (Received): 229

If this building isn't the tallest in the yards me and Tishman will have some problems. I am still optimistic for 400+ meters

(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #840
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:

What are you talking about? Widespread gun crime a major risk in Brooklyn? Risk of being shot a factor in choosing where to live? Ghettos everywhere? Did you watch some cop dramas from the 80s and then go into a coma for the past thirty years? New York is not like that.

I lived in New York for three years. I worked in Manhattan. Part of the reason I no longer do either of those things is because I believe the borough has no character. Brooklyn, Queens, these are the places I'd go to. They're the places where culture was happening. Heck, I left London for the same reasons. Oh everyone thinks these cities are melting pots and places of great cultural output. Perhaps they are. I found them to be gentrified hellholes full of vacant people desperately trying to inherit a personality from the place they live.

Then again, maybe we just have different ideas about what is actually interesting in big metropolitan areas.

Also, ease off the ad hominem bullshit next time and put some effort into your points. Your posts might make a lick of sense. Boy you were desperate to make it seem like I've never been to Manhattan. As though only a true Manhattanite could comment on the current state of the borough (another reason why it sucks so much).
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc