daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #1081
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I like it. Simple, with a bit of personality added with the spiral. I think it'll complement the surrounding buildings just fine given that it won't be as high.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #1082
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Yeah I understood that. And I said that relatively to New York, if constructed today, it would be the 7th taller (and that is considering shorter-towers-with-spires-making-them-taller) and still would be among the top 20 when built, so I don't think the height would be "relatively lame"

Comparing it to 30Hy is a bit unfair since that has "only" 2,6 million sqft of office space, but it sits atop of an enormous retail podium, plus it has a huge entertainment/viewing area at the top. If you just take the observatory part of 30 HY off, it would be about the same height as this tower.

I sometimes don't understand why the people are always so obsessed with the height of the towers as an end in itself. They don't build them for being tall towers, it is a real state business. In the case of 30HY a taller tower works for them because they have that (expected to be very profitable) observatory area on the top, that isn't just the case here. You may say that all the towers in the Hudson Blvd will have similar heights, but what would make a building standout there won't be being the tallest of them, for potential tenants that won't matter so much, but the posibility of having different spaces inside the tower instead. And that is what they are aiming for, not for having the tallest tower.

And by the way, that Hudson Spire thing was never a serious proposal, just a marketing strategy.
I can't name the 7th tallest, let alone the top 20 of most cities (other than many US ones), and it's not even as much about that it's how much it sticks out on the skyline. 1005 feet would look small next to the WTC and 432 Park avenue and there are many buildings in NY to come which will dwarf this thing.

Aside from that, it might create an uncomfortable plateau at that height with the rest of the buildings... I mean it is unique looking so that's not a huge problem but still, from a distance a bunch of ~1000 foot flat topped buildings around 30 HY might look weird.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1083
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I can't name the 7th tallest, let alone the top 20 of most cities (other than many US ones), and it's not even as much about that it's how much it sticks out on the skyline. 1005 feet would look small next to the WTC and 432 Park avenue and there are many buildings in NY to come which will dwarf this thing.

Aside from that, it might create an uncomfortable plateau at that height with the rest of the buildings... I mean it is unique looking so that's not a huge problem but still, from a distance a bunch of ~1000 foot flat topped buildings around 30 HY might look weird.
There's still plenty of sites within the district that we have no clue about in terms of finalized plans such as Spitzer's site and 50 Hudson Yards. Also, SHOP is designing a supertall nearby and they never disappoint!
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #1084
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

Omg, this guy is SO full of shit!

"Spiral shapes appear in nature as the inevitable result of dynamic forces applied to matter. It's the spiral's immaculate geometry, and the suggestion of the infinite, that has mesmerized us in all cultures"

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #1085
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

I love it at night. It'd be better with an extra 300 ft but oh well. Id on't know but it reminds me of this proposal a while back.

Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #1086
ledhead

Likes (Received): 43

Just a bit off topic: Did anyone noticed that in BIG's video of The Spiral, on the last scene wherethe show the view to south, they don't depict 2WTC? Maybe its some nonsense in my head, but I mean, it's the same guys who designed both towers, being the latter sort of a flagship or stellar, they could have made it appear.

Braillard liked this post
ledhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #1087
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Omg, this guy is SO full of shit!

"Spiral shapes appear in nature as the inevitable result of dynamic forces applied to matter. It's the spiral's immaculate geometry, and the suggestion of the infinite, that has mesmerized us in all cultures"

He's pretty good at selling his crap to developers cause they keep hiring him.
Fair to say a lot of us here are disillusioned by him, he came out strong with W57 but since then it's been dud after dud.
This building isn't too bad but nothing great either, i'm actually wondering why Tishman would spend 3 billion on a slightly above average building in an up and coming location. At least Related's 30 HY will stand out and have the observation deck to increase revenue.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #1088
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Yeah, I though Tishman would use this opportunity to steal some thunder from HY.. remember, they were the original pick to develop HY before the economic downturn and Related seizing the opportunity once the Tishman bid fizzled out. You'd think Tishman would tweak Related by having a prominent tower built there, but this new BIG project seems more gimmicky than anything else and there's no reason they couldn't have tried to go to 1,400-1,600 ft with a crown or spire. Especially with close to 3 million square feet... well, maybe they will be like Related and change designs every time you see a new rendering. We can only hope so.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #1089
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Behold The Spiral, Bjarke Ingels's Terraced Addition to Hudson Yards
Source and article with more renderings and video: NY.Curbed

Not a bad design overall for this place, but way too short. It should be about 1500 ft at the minimum or such a place

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Mplsuptown, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #1090
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31829

Overall an OK design but nothing spectacular. I think the shape is a bit too bulky. I don't know what is up with BIG and the proportions of their recently proposed towers....

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #1091
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

I really like a lot of BIG's earlier projects, but the latest ones look like s***, honestly
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #1092
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 708

The vegetation make it look ugly ,even if design is not ugly.
Please dear architect, watch project in Shanghai,Dubai, Miami or Singapore and get inspired by them.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #1093
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Shanghai maybe but I think the best inspiration is just around the corner, these days New York has been creating countless iconic designs. I'd say BIG should look to KPF, RAMSA, or SHoP.

enrigue8 liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #1094
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
Please dear architect, watch project in Shanghai,Dubai, Miami or Singapore and get inspired by them.
Everywhere but Dubai.

I like Dubai and love what they're doing there. However, most of it looks to be about 20 or 30 years behind the times in terms of fashionable architecture. I'm not saying they don't have some great buildings but so much of it is gaudy or post modern. I can only think of a couple notable buildings worth mentioning that stand out as iconic in any sense. I'm sure there are others of course (maybe the city is full of them) but they don't stand out in any way which is one thing you need a building to do to be considered iconic.
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #1095
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Someone should copy Verre's design and make it 1,600ft.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #1096
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

Another chunky, clumsy design from BIG. Not nearly as bad as 2 WTC, but still ... when will they stop terrorizing the NYC skyline?

enrigue8 liked this post
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #1097
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

LOL!!!...At 21 am i overaged for lurking there??....
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #1098
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2040

I would way prefer it, if it would not get smaller and those terraces would be just cut into the building.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #1099
francais22

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post
Don't worry. The only vegetation you will is on the rendering.
francais22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #1100
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 429

I like the interconnected floors. I've found that only a few hundred people on your own open floor don't make enough noise to fully distract you from work, I've always felt the need to listen to other jackasses a few floors above and below while trying to work.

WillBuild liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc