daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2016, 06:31 AM   #1121
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10266

That Chicago Spire has to be at least 3,000' It should end where the photo cuts off.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #1122
nyc15

Likes (Received): 158

this is what we need to complet the hudson yards project , we have juste to add the old hudson spire
Old October 6th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #1123
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2603

Still a few plots around the area, and the air rights wasted with the Spiral must go somewhere!
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #1124
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

Those air rights are quite expensive, so I would expect a decent tower.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #1125
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Er, as awesome as that sounds in theory, I don't believe there are any additional air rights. The "Hudson Spire" proposal was also 2.5 million square feet -- the Spiral is using all of that 2.5M, just with far larger floorplates in a shorter tower.

CCs77, phoenixboi08 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #1126
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Er, as awesome as that sounds in theory, I don't believe there are any additional air rights. The "Hudson Spire" proposal was also 2.5 million square feet -- the Spiral is using all of that 2.5M, just with far larger floorplates in a shorter tower.
May I ask what exactly happened that made it so the Hudson Spire was canceled? I dont know anything about it. Thanks.
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #1127
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2603

It wasn't cancelled because it was never an actual proposal by a developer but by the owners of the plot to advertise the possibilities for air rights the plot has.

CCs77 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #1128
MarshallKnight

NEW YORK | 435 10th Ave. (ex Hudson Spire) | ~300m | ~984ft | 61 fl | Pro

Yeah you can get a pretty good summary of the original transaction in the top post... but essentially, two land owners were in the market to sell their adjacent parcels at the same time, and a marketing team worked up the 1800 foot "Spire" concept as a sales tool, since selling both parcels together would truly be a blockbuster sale.

They definitely did some creative thinking to stretch a 2.5 million square foot development into an 1800-footer, since this was presumably going to be mostly office space and going that tall would require small floor plates that would be better suited to residential or a hotel. But it certainly *looked* impressive in the renders towering over Related's huge development...

Which is why some of us have wondered whether the Spire design was specifically envisioned to attract Tishman-Speyer, who did wind up buying both parcels. Tishman had originally won the bid to develop the Hudson Yards in 2008, but had to back out of it just two months later due to the financial crisis. We (and presumably the marketing team) figured that Tishman would want to seize the opportunity to save face after the embarrassment of 2008 by claiming the tallest tower on the West Side.

But the more conservative, shorter tower they've proposed suggests that Tishman doesn't think that way; whether they were cowed by the events of 2008, it seems they're trying to play it smart and safe... Personally I think hiring BIG to design a "showstopper" will pale in comparison to the effect a much taller tower would have had, and potentially run up the costs so that this more conservative solution might not ultimately save them that much.

But then again, I'm not a real estate developer, so what do I know. Maybe thousand-foot-high outdoor terraces are a huge selling point and these offices will go like hot cakes.

WillBuild, Braillard liked this post
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:33 AM   #1129
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Great summary, thanks!

Perhaps they calculated that the residential market is too soft right now to justify a trophy building with apartments at the top.

I really don't understand how this rather standard office building can be so expensive to build.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #1130
MarshallKnight

There may also be zoning restrictions/requirements for the site that precluded them from topping things off with a residential/hotel component, I don't honestly know.

I do have to think that the type of resi units Tishman would have to sell to make a good ROI would be of the ultra-high end variety (especially given the gaudy $3bn price tag which I simply do not understand)... The Hudson Yards area is new and exciting, but I don't see it supporting Billionaires Row price points anytime soon.

The most recent models we've seen of 50 HY (the two tower variant, and the setback single tower with the narrow upper volume) make me think that Related may be experimenting with that kind of mixed use program, rather than a full on 2.5 million square feet of office. So maybe we will see both strategies play out side by side.

It's too bad; 435 10th and 50 HY are basically identical projects on the stat sheet. Woulda been pretty cool if they'd collaborated on twins.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:54 AM   #1131
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

It appears as if they will soon tear down those brownstones on the corner. The other parking lots are still in use.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Zaz965 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #1132
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50645

509 West 34th Street (The Spiral) by NyConstructionPhoto, on Flickr

McSky, Oatmeal, Vito Corleone, gaab1972, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:19 AM   #1133
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Demolition is imminent as the scaffolding has appeared.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Oatmeal, sgollis, Munwon, gaab1972, Zaz965 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1134
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

This building is another corporate HY box with a little marketing spin, and I'm rather appalled at how little imagination we are seeing here. I'm disappointed in how much like Canary Wharf on Hudson this complex has become. Any provincial capital in China has more impressive towers than HY has. Check out Greenland Center in Wuhan for something that HY should have had.

Last edited by JohnDee; July 26th, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #1135
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
Given the name, I always thought dusting off the design of the abandoned Chicago Spire would be perfect.

I'm too lazy to photoshop it into a HY overview, but you get the idea:

Crazy expensive, no doubt, but then apparently that dull BIG box also costs over $3B?
For example, this is the kind of thing that NY needs. Something that will make it compete with China!
Old August 25th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #1136
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Pfizer set to move into The Spiral on far West Side
http://nypost.com/2017/08/25/pfizer-...far-west-side/

Quote:
Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has chosen Tishman Speyer’s dramatic new office skyscraper The Spiral for its new headquarters, The Post has learned.

Although it wasn’t clear whether a lease has yet been signed, Pfizer has definitively made up its mind on the planned Hudson Yards-area cloudbuster, where it will take about 800,000 square feet, sources familiar with the situation said late Thursday.

The 65-story, 2.85-million rentable square-foot Spiral is designed by Danish starchitect Bjarke Ingels. To rise west of 10th Avenue at 509 W. 34th St., the $3.2 billion, 1005-foot-tall tower takes its name from stepped, tree-filled terraces on all four sides that curl upwards around its fašade like a necklace.

Pfizer’s decision marks an another giant leap forward for the Hudson Yards District, an official west of Ninth Avenue city zoning designation that includes both the 26-acre Hudson Yards complex owned by Related Cos. and several different partners and Brookfield Property Partner’s 7-acre Manhattan West.

The district also includes two development sites whose owners need an anchor tenant to break ground — The Spiral and Joseph Moinian’s 3 Hudson Boulevard at 11th Avenue and 34th Street.

Once completed, the lease with Pfizer will allow Tishman Speyer to get The Spiral out of the ground, sources said. Pfizer had also considered the Related and Brookfield sites among other options.

McSky, enrigue8 liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1137
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6823

This is my favorite building in Midtown West along with 30/10 HY and the move was rumored for a while, so I'm glad that it's confirmed or at least likely at LOI stage.
Old August 26th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #1138
JohnDee

When is this Bjarke tower going up? Better be soon i hope. We need it to cover the Foster monstrosity next door.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #1139
SydneyCarton

Likes (Received): 122

Foster's tower is not a monstrosity. It's somewhat bland for a $4b tower, but I'm sure it will turn out beautifully.

streetscapeer liked this post
SydneyCarton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #1140
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 181

Chicago Spire belongs in a red light district.
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
435 10th ave., hudson spire, hudson yards, new york, nyc