daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #181
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
Considering the reason I go to NY is to see towers like these, I am all for them taking down the park lane. Never liked it and probably never will. In my eyes if they keep it that's one less reason to go to NY.
You have proven my point about idealistic forums who don't see the problem with just rooting for every new shiny tower despite the fact that people will lose out from these decisions and changes. You may have no desire to stay on the Park at those prices, but I guarantee you that you are probably in the minority, even on this forum. The place is an absolute steal and they have big deals. Soon that chance will be gone, as most hotels are probably going to go super high end there.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; March 10th, 2015 at 09:38 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #182
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I am actually really excited to say that I will be going to NYC this spring. And I am quite satisfied by my hotel choice. For all I care there are many other hotels for better prices than the park lane. And btw I find midtown to be beautiful and far from ugly.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #183
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Really, the Park Lane is one less reason to visit NYC? Come on.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #184
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
I am actually really excited to say that I will be going to NYC this spring. And I am quite satisfied by my hotel choice. For all I care there are many other hotels for better prices than the park lane. And btw I find midtown to be beautiful and far from ugly.
You might be fine with staying in a cheaper hotel in a worse locale but many would rather stay on the Park once in a while for a little more. Well, sadly, the chance to stay on CPS is coming to an end for most folks as this hotel was reasonably priced and had deals. Most people would probably prefer to stay on CPS once in their lives than watch a glass box for a billionaire rise because it is a nice experience and a stunning location, and nowhere else really matches the beauty of the Park's boundary streets in NYC for grandeur.

I'm astounded that most people want it gone just for aesthetic reasons. Even though it is going to be gone anyawy due to capitalist forces, I'm shocked that so many just root for it to go. What will the replcaement be good for? It's just a glass box for the rich to park some cash. And, This isn't any location, this is CPS's venerable PARK LANE HOTEL the last bastion of the affordable luxury hotels in the best location in Manhattan. So, why Root for it's destruction? This must be examined.

It goes to show the power of the scraper bug that most people caught here, the drive for ever newer pretty looking material piles climbing ever higher into the sky. This appears to have resulted in most forumers, given the responses about the Park Lane that I've read, not caring too much about NY's increasing prices or the fact that they could soon be shut out of the best locations and hotels due to said prices. They apparently for the most part, would rather a new bling tower built for Mr. Petrov from Russia, or Mr. Zhi Zhang from Fujian, so they may enjoy the short novelty, a quick thril (of a tower that most probably will be conservative and uninteresting); the visual spectacle viewed from a far is enough to satisfy them even though the tower will prove no utility to them. A sense of perverse city pride or living through the rich is at play. This is worth more to them than a chance to stay on CPS, one of the finest streets in NYC once in their lives, as most forumers will probably not afford the true luxury hotels that have sky high prices. This is a shame because it is an awesome experience that most will miss out on. There is nothing like watching the sun set over the park from that close. The Mayfair'ization of Manhattan continues. Most middle class people will soon not have a chance to stay on CPS or CPW, or similar streets. They will be all but shut out due to price and only on very special occasions, such as a honeymoon or a anniversary will they perhaps have the means to do so.

MarshallKnight liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; March 10th, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #185
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

del

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; March 10th, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #186
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

New York envy is hilarious!
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #187
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
It goes to show the power of the scraper bug that most people caught here, the drive for ever newer pretty looking material piles climbing ever higher into the sky. This appears to have resulted in most forumers, given the responses about the Park Lane that I've read, not caring too much about NY's increasing prices or the fact that they could soon be shut out of the best locations and hotels due to said prices.
These are some really good points and things I've wrestled with myself.

I'm as guilty as anyone of fetishizing design, although I try to examine the ways new buildings interact with their surroundings, at least in a superficial way (part of the reason I'm so impressed with SHoP's recent work)... But the more we learn about, in particular, the Billionaires Row towers, the more qualified my admiration of them has become. They're driven by market forces, sure, but not the kind that everyday people can remotely relate to -- the kind encouraged by overseas political strife and facilitated by shell companies.

It's not that I have a problem with wealth asserting itself in the form of new development and changing neighborhoods (in this case, the dirty word you might use is "ultragentrification.") I don't really believe everyone is "entitled" to afford life in the City. But it sucks to know how little joy anyone seems to be taking in these trophy properties. They're a place to park wealth; using them actually diminishes their monetary value. It's like, if you're going to build it there, at least use it. Get some joy out of it, rather than just letting it sit there. It's not like Manhattan is turning lifeless -- there are still a million things to do and people to see -- but these developments are undoubtedly chipping bit-by-bit at little possibilities for some everyman and his everyfamily to experience little joys like the sunrise over Central Park.

In the end, I appreciate the hell out of the craft of the architecture (and in a lot of ways, the equally impressive machinations that happen behind the scenes to assemble parcels and get projects through planning), but I think we may look back on some of these towers as monuments to a very weird time.

(:, citybooster, Jeremo, Bligh, streetscapeer liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #188
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I'd be quite surprised if Vornado does not acquire more of the contiguous properties.

Today

Hudson11 liked this post
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #189
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

I can't wait to see what Vornado has planned.

I think this site and the Park Lane will have amazing designs in order to rival the show stopper at 220 Central Park South.
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #190
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
New York envy is hilarious!
Hahaha..... umm, nice try but wrong answer, have another attempt. I'll give you a hint. You need to add a "my" and replace the word envy with "insecurity" Yes, I do believe you might get it right this time

I'm sure we are all wondering why you continue to repeat the same thing over and over again, mr. broken record. It's not exactly correct in it's assertion.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; March 12th, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #191
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Old March 12th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #192
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

@City-of-Platinum & @MarshallKnight

The points you guys have raised are compeltely correct. It is a huge shame to lose something that was so good for the average tourist visting NYC. I can imagine it's a little frustrating. Don't get me wrong - I adore skyscraper design and I love seeing new towers rise. However in this instance I do see the wrong-doing.

Unfortunately though, this is the system we live in. All that matters to the 1% is the $ £ €.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #193
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Manhattan is America's premier destination. We are competing with London for international supremacy.

You can't concern yourself with the 99%. They aren't the ones that make things happen. That's just life.

The sooner The Park Lane is replaced with a Rogers masterpiece, the better.
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #194
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
You have proven my point about idealistic forums who don't see the problem with just rooting for every new shiny tower despite the fact that people will lose out from these decisions and changes. You may have no desire to stay on the Park at those prices, but I guarantee you that you are probably in the minority, even on this forum. The place is an absolute steal and they have big deals. Soon that chance will be gone, as most hotels are probably going to go super high end there.
I guess...but it's worth remembering that the previous ownership sold the property. No one forced them to do that...

Without all the optics, we can't know, but I'd hazard a guess that the Trust that was managing it wanted it off their hands...otherwise, they wouldn't have sold it.

That's about as simple as it is, really.
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #195
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #196
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I guess...but it's worth remembering that the previous ownership sold the property. No one forced them to do that...

Without all the optics, we can't know, but I'd hazard a guess that the Trust that was managing it wanted it off their hands...otherwise, they wouldn't have sold it.

That's about as simple as it is, really.
Well, that wasn't my point. The point was how easy forumers here are keen to laud it's demolition without caring about how the majority here will perhaps be priced out of staying in this stunning area in the future. It's just an interesting observation I think.
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #197
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Yesterday

iamtheSTIG, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 02:18 AM   #198
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The mystery tower

Today

Vertical_Gotham, mafd12 liked this post
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:24 AM   #199
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

^Who owns that site again?

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:30 AM   #200
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
^Who owns that site again?
Vornado. Hopefully we'll get another 900 footer here.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
31 w.57th st., new york, nyc, rizzoli